Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 16:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best lens cleaning fluid?

GaryS1964
457 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 02, 2011 16:26 |  #1

Yesterday I got home and grabbed my camera and headed back out to take some storm shots. I raced to a nearby high point overlooking the valley and started taking photos. It was starting to sprinkle and even though there was a hood on my lens a drop of water landed on it. Since I hadn't taken the time to grab my camera bag I wiped it with my shirt and it created a smear. So that ended my shooting. I went home and got my lens cleaning tissues out but whatever was there was stubborn. It finally came off but it got me to wondering. What is the best lens cleaning liquid to more easily remove these kinds of stubborn smears without damaging an lens coating?

Canon 5D Mk iii, Canon 7D, Tamron 70-300 Di VC, Tamron 150-600, Canon Nifty Fifty, Canon 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS, Canon 24-105 F/4 L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS ii, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS ii, Canon 430EX ii, YONGNUO RF-602 Wireless Remote Control

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jun 02, 2011 16:36 |  #2

What did you smear onto your lens? That sort of dictates what type of cleaner would be best.

I probably don't even need to say it but, if you'd used a lens tissue in the first place instead of your shirt, you probably would not have wound up with a difficult-to-clean smear on the lens. ;)

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

JP-Eugene
160 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 02, 2011 17:34 |  #3

I picked up the Zeiss Liquid Lens Cleaner from B&H's website recently; it has great reviews there and it worked very well on my lens recently.

60D, 100L, 430EX II | Sony RX1R II
Flickr (external link) Օ 500px (external link) Google+ (external link)

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 02, 2011 19:59 |  #4

Saliva and a t shirt. Been useing it for 20 years. Not 1 problem from it yet.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

LoneWolfUSMC
24 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 02, 2011 21:17 |  #5

I use acetone on extremely expensive rifle scopes with coated optics (you don't use UV filters on them).

UV filters are cheap, so a bit of breath and t-shirt works for me. Lens pen if it's not too bad.

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 02, 2011 21:21 as a reply to  @ LoneWolfUSMC's post |  #6

I use the Purosol Optical cleaning fluid with a microfiber cloth. It has worked very well so far and has no solvents that might cause problems with coated optics.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

Ralph ­ Merlino
Goldmember
1,645 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 02, 2011 21:23 as a reply to  @ LoneWolfUSMC's post |  #7

I have been using Kodak lens cleaner
for over thirty years. It works very
well. I use it with Kodak lens tissue.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 02, 2011 21:39 as a reply to  @ Ralph Merlino's post |  #8

L glass requires holy water, it's free. Spit works fine for non-L glass.

alphatango
340 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 02, 2011 22:15 as a reply to  @ rick_reno's post |  #9

Giottos cleaning solution is great stuff.

Feedback
Tumblr (external link)
5∞px (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,324 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 02, 2011 22:48 |  #10

I have some Zeiss branded disposable cleaning tissues that I use on eyeglasses. They work really well.

Desertrat
453 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 02, 2011 22:56 |  #11

I use eye glasses cleaning fluid that I get from My optometrist .Works great and I get free microfiber cloths along with the free refills.

GaryS1964
THREAD ­ STARTER
457 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 02, 2011 23:13 |  #12

SkipD wrote in post #12524430 (external link)
What did you smear onto your lens? That sort of dictates what type of cleaner would be best.

I probably don't even need to say it but, if you'd used a lens tissue in the first place instead of your shirt, you probably would not have wound up with a difficult-to-clean smear on the lens. ;)

Don't know what it was. The smear looked like an oil based substance. My camera happened to be sitting on my desk so I grabbed it and ran back out. Didn't grab my backpack with all the other camera stuff including lens cleaning tissues as I was in a hurry. As it was the sky changed enough that I missed what prompted me to grab my camera and rush out to take photos in the first place.

Another case of not having your camera with you when a good photo op comes along.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I have several microfiber rags and I'll pick up one of the recommended cleaning solutions.

BTW - The lens that was on the camera was the Canon 15-85. It's my walk around lens and is usually on my camera when the camera is not in the backpack.

Canon 5D Mk iii, Canon 7D, Tamron 70-300 Di VC, Tamron 150-600, Canon Nifty Fifty, Canon 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS, Canon 24-105 F/4 L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS ii, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS ii, Canon 430EX ii, YONGNUO RF-602 Wireless Remote Control

A.Christopher
388 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 02, 2011 23:22 |  #13

yourdoinitwrong wrote in post #12525943 (external link)
I use the Purosol Optical cleaning fluid with a microfiber cloth. It has worked very well so far and has no solvents that might cause problems with coated optics.

+1 for the Purosol Optical Cleaner (external link) I've been using it on all mine and my Wife's lenses for a few years now, it's really good stuff.

Adam Christopher
www.adamchristopher.ne​t (external link)
Gear List

sbattey
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 02, 2011 23:26 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Try a lens pen first, you can get them from walmart for like $10 by the cheap tripods, lens caps, and uv filters.

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II
Blog (external link)

A5forfighting
626 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 03, 2011 02:17 |  #15

I have the zeiss cleaning kit, works well so far

7D, S95, EOSM,

sponsored links

9,732 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best lens cleaning fluid?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.