Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 04 Jun 2011 (Saturday) 14:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Portrait of a little girl

BioSci
413 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 04, 2011 14:20 |  #1

I was asked to do some family portraits recently for some friends. Here is one that I liked the best. I used a softbox umbrella for fill, then processed using DPP and CS5. C&C welcomed.

IMAGE: http://mat99.ath.cx/POTN/9704.jpg

EOS R | 7D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 17-55 f/2.8 | 11-16 f/2.8

Tyo Photography (external link)

sponsored links
steve6690
66 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 04, 2011 15:58 |  #2

I like it, but it looks a little soft on my monitor.

Eos 550D. Canon EF 50 f1.8, Canon 18-55 kit lens, Speedlite 430 EXII.

DinosaurioAllie
525 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 04, 2011 17:37 |  #3

Personally, if I took a shot like this, I'd scrap it. It's not sharp, she's centered right in the middle of the frame, it's slightly underexposed, and there's just so much more you could have done. It looks like you just slapped her in front of a cheap backdrop.

Personally, I prefer portraits where the person is either placed to the left or the right of the frame. Not directly in the center. Sure, there are instances where it works, but in my opinion it doesn't here. Second, I would have backed up and gotten more of her body in the shot. It's just a really crowded shot, and there's nothing really interesting, she's just standing there with her arms down.
Try experimenting with different arm poses to make it a little more interesting. Sometimes it's hard to find that right balance of not looking boring but not looking cheesy, but I'm sure you'll get it.

Next would be the sharpness issue. I'm not sure if it's just what kind of post processing you used(sometimes that can be it), or if it's an error during the shoot, but either way, it looks quite soft.

The exposure is probably one of the biggest issues in my opinion. It just looks too dark and flat. Try brightening it up in Photoshop and adding a little more contrast. Next time, try turning up the power on the flash if possible.

Hope you find this helpful.

Canon 7D | Canon 100mm f/2.8 | Canon 40mm f/2.8 | Mamiya RB67 | Mamiya Sekor 90mm f/3.8 | http://www.flickr.com/​mosbeckphotography (external link)
"There's a common misconception that all photographers want to photograph famous people, to be a paparazzi. To me that's like selling my soul. My photographs give thanks to people who have helped me out. Thats not selling my soul, that's gaining it." -Bob Campagna

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,330 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 04, 2011 22:18 as a reply to  @ DinosaurioAllie's post |  #4

I hope you don't mind but here are a couple of things you could do with this photo using CS5. First, open in ACR and do a white balance correction and increase the exposure. Once you've done that, open the image in photoshop. Create a duplicate layer and then apply heavy sharpening on the top layer. On the top layer, create a 'hide all' mask (alt+ the mask layer icon at the bottom of the layers window). This hides the sharpened layer. Now using white and a small brush, paint over her eyes, hair and teeth revealing the sharpened layer where you want. Give the image a small amount of contrast so the image isn't too flat. Finally, give the image a crop to move her off center a bit.

Here's what I came up with doing the above.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

BioSci
THREAD ­ STARTER
413 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 04, 2011 22:36 as a reply to  @ navydoc's post |  #5

Hey, guys - thanks for the suggestions. I'll play around with these and see how I can improve the photo.

EOS R | 7D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 17-55 f/2.8 | 11-16 f/2.8

corkneyfonz
Goldmember
2,477 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 05, 2011 11:48 |  #6

Great edit navydoc.

My Flickr (external link)

jwhittaker
111 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 05, 2011 12:34 |  #7

I find the backdrop a bit busy and distracting.

J u s t i n
Canon 600D, Canon 70-200 f2.8 mk2, Canon 15-85mm, Samyang 35 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8,
Flikr Gallery (external link)

BioSci
THREAD ­ STARTER
413 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 05, 2011 22:37 |  #8

jwhittaker wrote in post #12540094 (external link)
I find the backdrop a bit busy and distracting.

Actually, it wasn't a backdrop - it was the family back yard. They are moving away soon, and wanted the family portrait session set there.

I agree that the composition of this portrait is wanting, but the family made clear what they wanted, so that's why I set up this one. Other portraits from the series which have the whole family are much better composed. IMHO.

So, based on the good recommendations here, I redid the portraits, brightening the images and sharpening the eyes and mouths. I felt that navydoc's image was overly bright, but I agree that I needed to make some significant movement in that direction. Here's the latest version.

IMAGE: http://mat99.ath.cx/potn/9704-1.jpg

GtrPlyr
480 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 06, 2011 00:19 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Not bad...not bad at all. Very serviceable.

I did a quicky

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i117.photobucke​t.com …o53/Moodydoody/​9704-1.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Gear List: A Brownie. I call it a Brownie cuz it fell in the toilet.

bboehm
706 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 06, 2011 00:28 |  #10

Yeah... background on the original was just WAY too busy. I would have really liked to see a lot shallower depth of field to really blur out those trees.

7D, 50D, EFS 17-85mm IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 2X Extender III, Calumet Genesis 400, Speedlite 430EX, Pocket Wizards

SamiMphotography
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 06, 2011 00:45 |  #11

I don't like how flat the image looks here. She is such a pretty girl, I just feel like she has no depth to her. Work on the lighting and depth of field. Maybe brighten it up so it doesn't look so rainy.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,330 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 06, 2011 01:39 as a reply to  @ SamiMphotography's post |  #12

You could use the background from the underexposed image and then mask in the girl from the image with the exposure corrected.

That's what I did with this edit. I took my edit above and masked her into the original, darker image. I also darkened the background even more and applied a lens blur. I didn't recrop on this edit.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

GtrPlyr
480 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 06, 2011 01:54 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

Hey navydoc.... by chance you've done any tours on a nuclear sub? How close were the bunks to the reactor room? ;)

Gear List: A Brownie. I call it a Brownie cuz it fell in the toilet.

sponsored links

1,524 views & 0 likes for this thread
Portrait of a little girl
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.