Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 04 Jun 2011 (Saturday) 18:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Needing to get away from Smugmug.

The ­ Framed ­ Life
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 04, 2011 18:44 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I'm looking for an alternative to smugmug, something that offers monthly payment for around the same price, but doesn't require so much coding and maintenance, something more straight forward for someone like me who doesn't have the time to troubleshoot and all the stuff I found I've been juggling around.

I've tried Zenfolio, and while I like the simple, clean, professional layouts (which I find are better than smugmug's) I don't like how there's a 150% price difference between Premium and Premium business, the only real difference being (at least that's of interest to me) that with Premium business you can have prints done in a US lab.

I'm opening a studio this summer with a photographer friend of mine, just a portrait studio, and the features we're looking for are:

-Custom domain emails
-Gallery Customization
-Lab print service with shipping to Canada
-Customizable Pricing
-Dedicated customer service

I really like Livebooks but I'm wondering if there's a bit of a cheaper alternative.

The Framed Life (external link)
Canon 30D
70-200mm F/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

sponsored links
ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,997 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 05, 2011 00:33 |  #2

I don't understand the "coding and maintenance" issues you're having....what maintenance are you doing with smugmug? I doubt you'll find anything for less than the price of smugmug that handles everything for you the way they do...

Once you get it set up all you do is add photos...

Gear
Website (external link)

The ­ Framed ­ Life
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 05, 2011 00:45 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I mean the constant troubleshooting of coding and getting everything to work, I just want something clean, simple, out of the box and ready to go.

Canon 30D

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 05, 2011 00:58 |  #4

Since setting up a custom design is really just a one-shot deal, it sounds to me like you want everything for nothing. That's not how life works. You'll have to either put in the time if you don't want to pay or pay if you don't want to put in the time.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,997 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 05, 2011 00:59 |  #5

I guess I'm still at a loss...I know less than nothing about coding, so I wouldn't know how to troubleshoot if I needed to!

All I've ever done is cut/paste into the customization page of smugmug and have never looked back.

I looked in to have a stand alone website with galleries, unique domain names and a shopping cart. First it was a LOT more than $150 a year...and the maintenance on that was WAY over my head!

I don't see how it could be any easier or cheaper than smugmug!

Gear
Website (external link)

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 05, 2011 01:08 |  #6

ShotByTom wrote in post #12538229 (external link)
I don't understand the "coding and maintenance" issues you're having....what maintenance are you doing with smugmug? I doubt you'll find anything for less than the price of smugmug that handles everything for you the way they do...

Once you get it set up all you do is add photos...

I agree. What maintenance?

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

The ­ Framed ­ Life
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 05, 2011 01:52 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

I'm just finding that I have a lot of trial and error getting everything how I like it and don't have time for that, I'm not asking for a site with all customizable features, just something like livebooks but a bit less expensive.

Canon 30D

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 05, 2011 02:14 |  #8

Hire a designer or a coder who can put your design into action. No matter what direction you go you're going to have to put some effort into it.

It's called investing in your business and it's worth it.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

The ­ Framed ­ Life
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 05, 2011 02:17 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Found what I wanted, www.viewbook.com (external link).

Canon 30D

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

S-Man
Goldmember
2,008 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 05, 2011 02:32 |  #10

That looks really good, but I see one bad thing about the "Pro" pack. 5,000 hi-res images.
I would burn through that in a heartbeat.
I love SmugMug because I use it for storing/backing up all my JPEGs and it's unlimited space. The way I work it with selling photos is I link client galleries on my flash site (I use Photobiz.com for that) over to the SmugMug gallery and they can view and print from there.
I do prefer though for clients to order prints through me as I get them from Millers or BRI for much cheaper thus turning more profit for prints than having SM fulfill it. However if they prefer to order through SM I let them and it's easy for them.
Congrats and best wishes on your new studio.

The ­ Framed ­ Life
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 05, 2011 02:33 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Yeah, it's not for everyone, but it'll work for me until I know I have the income for livebooks. Thanks.

Canon 30D

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,591 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 05, 2011 03:33 |  #12

The Framed Life wrote in post #12538579 (external link)
Yeah, it's not for everyone, but it'll work for me until I know I have the income for livebooks. Thanks.

...I've used Viewbook as an interim solution while setting up my wordpress site, and they are really really good. They suited my initial goals of having an "online portfolio", and they had fantastic and personable customer service. They only failed to keep me as a customer because of where I live: they use fotomoto as image proofing preferred vendor and fotomoto weren't willing to offer conversions to NZ currency due to the low number of sales. But yeah, nothing wrong with Viewbooks, as long as they fit in with your business goals: I thought they were fantastic while I was with them.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 05, 2011 03:38 |  #13

Good luck, OP. I mean that sincerely. I hope they serve your needs.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,141 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 05, 2011 10:09 |  #14

The Framed Life wrote in post #12536792 (external link)
I'm looking for an alternative to smugmug, something that offers monthly payment for around the same price, but doesn't require so much coding and maintenance,

James,

You should also consider factors other than ease of maintenance. Exposure (SEO) is important, too. Theoretically, you can find the perfect display engine, but if your work is not found and viewed there, for what purpose is it being displayed?

I say this because I recently migrated to smugmug (external link). In the couple short weeks I've been there, I have found I'm getting more hits and referrals a day than other well-known galleries (such as pbase) provided in a month. The popularity of a gallery (its "usefulness" to you) should be strongly considered, too. Good luck.

Website (external link) |

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 05, 2011 10:15 |  #15

View book is a very different model from smuggy.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sponsored links

10,189 views & 0 likes for this thread
Needing to get away from Smugmug.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.