Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 05 Jun 2011 (Sunday) 14:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bald Peak State Park, OR

kelleystar27
195 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 05, 2011 14:08 |  #1

My first outing with my "new" 17-40L (& CPL). Sorry, I'm not very good at resizing these for posting and retaining decent quality. It was such a beautiful day, but I only had a few minutes. Not really excited about this picture but anyway, C&C appreciated, thank you!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Kelley
www.facebook.com/charm​edcapturesphotography.​com (external link)
40D, 5D,5D II, 28-75 2.8, 85 1.8, 200 2.8L, 300 2.8L

sponsored links
pelooyen
Goldmember
2,940 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 05, 2011 23:04 |  #2

ahh - I want the 17-40 with CPL too

On to the picture..
two issues that grab me immediately
1. The sky is blown, and so you lose lots of detail you could have had in the clouds
2. There is nothing interesting in the foreground to draw the eye (its a mound of dirt)

It also is too saturated.
I suggest either a GND filter or our take bracketed shots and merge them (or HDR, but be gentle)

cheers, Paul
---------------
Flickr (external link) | My Website (external link) | Like me on Facebook (external link)
6D | 5Dc | 17-40mm L | 28-135mm IS USM | 70-200L f4 | 100mm f2.8 macro USM | MPE65 | MT-24EX | 580EX | Kenko extension tubes | 1.4x TC
| couple of umbrellas and softbox and other lighting stuff

kelleystar27
THREAD ­ STARTER
195 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 06, 2011 00:19 |  #3

Thanks Paul,
I agree there's nothing interesting in the foreground. The left side of the sky was blown because it was right into the sun. I don't have a GND yet, but I do have ND filter. Should I meter for the sky, shoot Raw and then recover in post? Also, I tried to take bracketed shots and merge them but I guess it was too windy...the leaves came out misaligned and fuzzy. It's the lands edge ("cliff") actually, it does look like a mound of dirt though. I do tend to over saturate ;)
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it! :)

Kelley

pelooyen
Goldmember
2,940 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 06, 2011 02:17 |  #4

kelleystar27 wrote in post #12543282 (external link)
Should I meter for the sky, shoot Raw and then recover in post?

Definitely a plan, certainly meter to the sky more. You are more like to get better results that way.

cheers, Paul
---------------
Flickr (external link) | My Website (external link) | Like me on Facebook (external link)
6D | 5Dc | 17-40mm L | 28-135mm IS USM | 70-200L f4 | 100mm f2.8 macro USM | MPE65 | MT-24EX | 580EX | Kenko extension tubes | 1.4x TC
| couple of umbrellas and softbox and other lighting stuff

HKGuns
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 06, 2011 07:12 |  #5

It appears a tad over saturated on my screen.

corkneyfonz
Goldmember
2,477 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 06, 2011 15:33 |  #6

Looks like the detail slider in adobe raw is way too far left, it just doesn't seem right and misses the mark sadly for me.

My Flickr (external link)

kelleystar27
THREAD ­ STARTER
195 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 06, 2011 19:04 |  #7

Thanks HKGuns and corkneyfonz...
I don't know what you mean about the detail slider as I didn't use/shoot this raw. I don't like the pic too much either so, no biggie LOL. I'll go back up there when I have more than a few minutes-it's close to my house ;)
Thanks again for the help Paul!

Kelley

JayZ235
492 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 07, 2011 11:05 |  #8

Be sure that when you go back there to go at a better time of day! Perhaps a sunrise/set would be much more suiting for this area, especially without the blown out sky. Congrats on the new lens! Oh, and easy off the saturation as others and even yourself already know :)

kelleystar27
THREAD ­ STARTER
195 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 07, 2011 19:53 |  #9

thanks JayZ235! I'll definitely go back later (not a morning person, sunrise is too early). Hopefully someday soon I'll start doing this lens justice -I'm very new to landscape photography. Gotcha on the saturation, lol :)

Kelley

tricky500
424 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 07, 2011 20:19 |  #10

A shot like this is what HDR was created for.. Used correctly of course..

- Paul

sponsored links

1,007 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bald Peak State Park, OR
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.