Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 05 Jun 2011 (Sunday) 14:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does anyone actually make a decent living from this?

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 08, 2011 23:18 |  #61

samueli wrote in post #12560986 (external link)
An easy career doesn't necessarily make a happy career. I would negotiate compensation to completely enjoy what I do, day in and day out.

samueli wrote in post #12560986 (external link)
I think a majority of photographers eventually look at the cash potential in photography, sooner if not later; although I know there are a few diehard hobbyists that would never taint their hobby. At one point I thought I would do almost anything just to get a chance to be a paid photog. Then I did a couple of cheap weddings with a friend. I soon decided, well, not anything...

You sorta explained that one away for me ;)

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

sponsored links
Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 09, 2011 01:36 |  #62

MNUplander wrote in post #12561536 (external link)
What is the problem?

I've no intention of leaving my day job for photography because for me, I enjoy doing it because of WHAT I shoot and I wouldn't care to do it otherwise...so I don't. If I thought I had the talent or the means to shoot landscapes for a living for a minute I'd do it without a second thought - but I'm not going to let myself put my head in the stars.

However, that doesn't stop a guy from wanting to earn a little pocket change here and there.

For you - no problem at all as you are not a professional photographer.

The things that I do have an issue with is people saying that they won't take a job if it does not fit with their "style" or is not in their genre and then going on to complain that they aren't gettiing enough work.

If there is not enough work in your chosen sector then change sector and find an area that there is work in. It may not be fun but if your trying to earn a living you must do what you need to in order to put money in the bank and food on the table.

samueli
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 09, 2011 01:52 |  #63

Agnu wrote in post #12561471 (external link)
Yeah, I get by. At 20 years old, I travel around to buggery, live across about 4 houses and don't pay rent in any (sortah loophole by not actually living anywhere, means I can crash on the floor everywhere and not pay rent :p), have an incredibly nice car for someone my age, and am starting to get up to 2-3 jobs a week. If I can get myself booked out 5 days a week, i'll be on 2 grand a week! But as for now, working 1 to 2 jobs a week, i'm on about 600 - 1000.

I shoot editorial Automotive, by the way, and that's my sole source of income at the moment.

Doesn't sound like a bad gig for 20 years old! Hopefully you make a good name for yourself and we'll see you in the photo rags!

rks221
46 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 09, 2011 02:05 |  #64

To answer the orignial question I know someone who charges between 7,000-8,000 per wedding (this includes a second shooter and two videographers so not all of this is his money and there's still his expenses) and he shoots atleast 40 weddings a year so I dunno do the math.

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,534 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 09, 2011 07:43 |  #65

Nightstalker wrote in post #12562037 (external link)

The things that I do have an issue with is people saying that they won't take a job if it does not fit with their "style" or is not in their genre and then going on to complain that they aren't gettiing enough work.

If there is not enough work in your chosen sector then change sector and find an area that there is work in. It may not be fun but if your trying to earn a living you must do what you need to in order to put money in the bank and food on the table.

Ah, I see what you mean and I agree. Thanks for clarifying.

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
R6, EF16-35 f4 IS, EF 50 1.2, EF 100 2.8 IS Macro, 150-600C

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,754 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jun 09, 2011 10:18 |  #66

ronosmena wrote in post #12560584 (external link)
I have to agree with this 100% :D

Work pays for all the gear, the mortgage and the personal work. If not for what I create for me(the personal work) I wouldn't do it at all. I am a photographer. A couple of quotes from two of the greats:

"For me photography has been a profession, an avocation. Now it has become a way of life." - Wynn Bullock

"When money enters in, - then, for a price, I become a liar, - and a good one I can be whether with pencil or subtle lighting or viewpoint. I hate it all, but so do I support not only my family, but my own work." - Edward Weston

airfrogusmc
36,754 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 09, 2011 10:22 |  #67

Nightstalker wrote in post #12562037 (external link)

I've seen'm come and go over the years. In fact a large majority trying to do it full time fail. One reason that most that I've seen fail try to be everything to everybody. I turn work away I know that is not what I do as well as other things that I do or as well as others that do those kinds of things do. I get hired for the way my work looks and the type of work I do. You can't be good at it all so I say find what you are good at and become better at it than most everyone else.

Agnu
779 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 09, 2011 22:48 |  #68

samueli wrote in post #12562076 (external link)
Doesn't sound like a bad gig for 20 years old! Hopefully you make a good name for yourself and we'll see you in the photo rags!

Haha, cheers matey :).

Angus Scott Photography
Gripped 5DmkII | 17-40L | 35L | Sigma 50/1.4 | 135L
Bronica SQAi | 80/2.8 150/4
Website (external link) | Flickr (external link)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 09, 2011 22:58 |  #69

monty28428 wrote in post #12542942 (external link)
^I do not know of one broke plumber :lol:

come here and I'll point you to a lot of them :lol:

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 10, 2011 02:23 |  #70

airfrogusmc wrote in post #12563564 (external link)
I've seen'm come and go over the years. In fact a large majority trying to do it full time fail. One reason that most that I've seen fail try to be everything to everybody. I turn work away I know that is not what I do as well as other things that I do or as well as others that do those kinds of things do. I get hired for the way my work looks and the type of work I do. You can't be good at it all so I say find what you are good at and become better at it than most everyone else.

I understand this approach and it's great when you have plenty of work in your chosen sector.

If however that work dried up for whatever reason, would you then start accepting the "other" jobs that you would normally turn down or would you just hope that your preferred work would pick up before you are bankrupt?

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 10, 2011 05:10 |  #71

I'll try anything once.

I think you have to excel at something, but you don't have to turn down everything else. I do turn down work that I know won't be worth my time or their money though.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,754 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 10, 2011 07:38 |  #72

Nightstalker wrote in post #12568484 (external link)
I understand this approach and it's great when you have plenty of work in your chosen sector.

If however that work dried up for whatever reason, would you then start accepting the "other" jobs that you would normally turn down or would you just hope that your preferred work would pick up before you are bankrupt?

I'm not saying you shouldn't adapt to change, changing situations and markets but you will never establish a strong base if you don't first figure out who you are as a photographer and then figure out how to approach it in a way that people will come to you for what you do. Nobody said this was easy. I'll bet the failure rate for doing this full time is well over 75% say over 5 years. If it were easy everybody would be a success.

sponsored links

7,734 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does anyone actually make a decent living from this?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.