Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 06 Jun 2011 (Monday) 07:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Negative Feedback ??

kenjancef
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 08, 2011 13:27 as a reply to  @ post 12554733 |  #16

I was the other member Rob was talking about. I did report it, and got responses, and then saw the user was banned. So in my opinion, the mods did well. :)

My rule on choosing sellers has changed after this (the second time), but I will still continue to buy/sell and post here.

Ken

ps. I am in the dispute process with PayPal, and hopefully should be refunded by Sunday.

Gear List
My Flickr Page (external link)

sponsored links
lowrider
804 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 08, 2011 15:05 as a reply to  @ kenjancef's post |  #17

Not sure what would happen if you were to post something negative here:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=28608

Lou

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 08, 2011 15:08 |  #18

lowrider wrote in post #12559043 (external link)

Lou

It would be removed and you might get a good talking to for it. Mods have specifically already stated--no negative feedback. Neutral feedback stating that a refund was provided or a problem was solved... that might be another matter?

My Gearlist

kenjancef
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 08, 2011 18:28 as a reply to  @ MOkoFOko's post |  #19

I'm not one for slamming anyone here. And as long as the mods take care of it, and they have, I am happy. They have helped me a lot, and if I have questions they are quick to answer.

Gear List

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 08, 2011 18:30 |  #20

RobCoombs wrote in post #12551172 (external link)
This seller did have positive feedback, and a large number of other posts with no indication that they would scam. I understand this is 100% my fault, I'm not trying to shift the blame to any moderator or anyone else associated with POTN.

I think the guy who left positive feedback is banned too!

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 08, 2011 18:41 |  #21

lowrider wrote in post #12559043 (external link)

Lou

Your post would be deleted and your name in the bad book. We just do not allow the pillorying of other members.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 08, 2011 18:52 |  #22

I'm sure my name is already in the bad book :).

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 08, 2011 18:53 |  #23

maverick678 wrote in post #12560167 (external link)
I'm sure my name is already in the bad book :).

Somewhere below mine :cool:

My Gearlist

kenjancef
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 08, 2011 20:28 |  #24

alpha_1976 wrote in post #12560071 (external link)
I think the guy who left positive feedback is banned too!

Yep. I did some digging and found they were in cahoots (big word for me this late at night...).

Funny... I will be in the market for a 5D Mk II in a month or so... Wanna see how careful I shop for that??

Gear List

lsuber
502 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 12, 2011 07:56 |  #25

I'll ask these questions knowing the wrath I'm likely to receive.

How is it that banning a member solves the problem? What keeps him/her from signing up the very next day with a new user ID and starting anew? And how does one permanently ban a person? We (or you, I should say, since I'm not involved in Admin stuff) have no way of knowing who's signing up for a new user account, and no way to know if you've supposedly permanently banned them before.

I've posted my feelings on this before, but will state it again here. The line "We just do not allow the pillorying of other members" is stated frequently. My stance on it is that we've sort of allowed the pillorying of RobCoombs by not having a fully fleshed-out feedback system. And I participate in the buy/sell forum on FredMiranda where negative feedback is allowed, and haven't witnessed any pillorying there.

Canon 5D Mark II | 28-70mm f/2.8L USM | Σ 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS | 85mm f/1.2L USM | Σ 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro | LR5 | PS CS5

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 12, 2011 08:19 |  #26

lsuber wrote in post #12579290 (external link)
How is it that banning a member solves the problem? What keeps him/her from signing up the very next day with a new user ID and starting anew? And how does one permanently ban a person? We (or you, I should say, since I'm not involved in Admin stuff) have no way of knowing who's signing up for a new user account, and no way to know if you've supposedly permanently banned them before.

The admin and moderation team here on POTN have certain tools and procedures that track returning banned members. We get them very quickly, often without the general users knowing anything at all.

We do not presume to know how other websites moderate or conduct their market place sections. We know, however, how we feel we should best and safely serve our own members.

If you're not happy with the way that the POTN marketplace is conducted, you're more than free to use other web sites to buy and sell your gear.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

lsuber
502 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 12, 2011 08:26 |  #27

Thanks Pete, I do honestly appreciate your reasonable response. That's not always the norm, and I appreciate an even-handed, adult conversation.

I realized after posting the question of how a permanent ban works that the answer would likely be something not revealed, as it may enable the unscrupulous ones who have been banned using such methods to return undetected.

With regard to your last line, I have unfortunately done just that. I still come here mostly to read and view sample images, but participate in the buy/sell functions and general photography conversation in a few other places that fit my preferences. There are many photography-related forums and sites out there, and I'm thankful for the availability of choice.

Canon 5D Mark II | 28-70mm f/2.8L USM | Σ 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS | 85mm f/1.2L USM | Σ 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro | LR5 | PS CS5

sponsored links

3,170 views & 0 likes for this thread
Negative Feedback ??
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.