Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 Jun 2011 (Monday) 10:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best way to digitally convert old prints?

darthrazz
102 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 06, 2011 10:03 |  #1

Can anyone suggest the best way to digitally scan old prints? I have tried using a flatbed scanner, but I have literally about two thousand images that I, or my parents have taken over the last 40-50 years along with all the prints that my wife has as well.. and it's a mighty slow process!
For almost all of these photos the negatives are no longer available or lost. I know that there are services that can do this for you but they can get expensive. I feel that I would like to preserve these in digital format for my children. I found a scanner, made by Flashpoint that seems to do this with at least 4x6 prints. I’m new here so I don’t know if I am allowed to post links? I can always scan the larger images on the flatbed , since there aren’t many of those. Thanks for looking !

Canon 1DX MKII • Canon 7D MKII Gripped • Canon 50mm 1.2L • Canon 24-70mm 2.8L • Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM • Canon EF-S 24mm • Canon Speedlite 430ex •

sponsored links
crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 06, 2011 10:19 |  #2

Scanning is a time consuming and laborious process. For prints, I'd stick with a flatbed scanner. Have you tried culling some of the prints? I doubt if every single one is a keeper that warrants scanning.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 06, 2011 11:10 as a reply to  @ crn3371's post |  #3

If you are bound and determined to do this yourself you have limited options. Get yourself a faster flatbed scanner that still performs within your technical specifications. Have you been doing more than one at a time and using Photoshop's crop and straighten option. This does work pretty good and I have been using it for the ones I scan. It is a time consuming process and it is important to do as suggested above and cull out the iffy ones to save time.

I did an Internet search for "photo scanning service" and there is plenty of people offering this service. Scan My Photos (external link) is one of the first results and they say they will do prints for as little as .08 each. Even at a dime each it would only be 200.00 for 2000 prints. Given how much time it would take to do this many that is a pretty attractive price. I haven't used any of these services and am not making any specific recommendations.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 06, 2011 11:15 |  #4

Places like scancafe can do this for you for about 30-50 cents an image. Sure that adds up to hundreds of dollars for 2000 photos, but you are looking at a couple hundred hours to do it yourself, minimum. Of course, you have to mail them your prints, so that is a risk some are unwilling to take.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 06, 2011 11:22 |  #5

Since you're just scanning prints, make sure to turn down the resolution. For prints I would scan at 300 dpi, 600 tops.

HughR
999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 06, 2011 12:54 |  #6

Another option to scanning is to take digital photos of your old shots with your t2i. You'll need a piece of glass to put over them to keep them flat and two light sources at ±45° for even, non-reflective lighting. Given that your camera will be on a tripod, you can shoot at ISO 100 and get very good images. I've done this a number of times for old photos (although never 2,000 of them!).

Hugh
Canon 60D, Original Digital Rebel (2003)
EFS 15-85mm IS USM, EF 70-300mm IS USM, Tokina 11-16mm
Speedlite 430EX, Speedlite 430EX II,
Qbox 16 pro, Lastolite EZbox 24x24, Lumiquest Softbox III

sponsored links

845 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best way to digitally convert old prints?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.