Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 06 Jun 2011 (Monday) 22:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Markins Q3T Problems....

BzBrian
72 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 06, 2011 22:59 |  #1

I've had my Q3T for about three weeks and have loved it. I haven't really used it outside yet so it's basically brand new but today I had a problem...

The panning knob (I think that's what it's called) is locked tightly and won't come loose. However, the Q3T is not locked into place; it continues to pan but the knob is stuck completely.

I've paired it with a Feisol 3441S RAPID (which I LOVE by the way) and I'm going to Yosemite on the 30th and I want to bring it!

Anyone have any ideas? I emailed Markins and I'm waiting for a reply. Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm a happy Canon SLR and Leica rangefinder user. bw!

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,991 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 06, 2011 23:19 |  #2

Perhaps the drag tension is set too tight, so that the when the ball lock is released the tension is still preventing motion of the ball.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 07, 2011 06:52 |  #3

Does it move freely or do you need to apply force (a fair amount). The panning lock on the Markins is not designed to lock it down 100% but it should not move freely as if the knob was loose.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 07, 2011 07:51 |  #4

As stated above, the panning knob essentially works a brake rather than a lock. I believe the reason has to do with vibration dampening, I don't remember the details but there have been a number of reports of over-tightening the knob. Users have a reasonable expectation of this function being a lock but Markins are different, lets put it that way. It doesn't help either that Markins call it a "panning lock knob" in the manual...

You need to get some purchase on the surface of the knob. Using three or four layers of a fabric such sacking that has some friction on the knob will help. A vise grip pliers would be the handiest tool to use; wrap the fabric around the knob, apply the pliers and turn CCW. The handle on the pliers should give you enough leverage to turn the knob. Failing all of this, take the ballhead off the tripod (use a small strap wrench on the panning base if necessary), place the fabric-wrapped knob into a bench vise and turn the ballhead CW in relation to the knob. That should loosen it.

~Peter

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,136 views & 0 likes for this thread
Markins Q3T Problems....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.