Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 09:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Android Tablet section

npompei
563 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 07, 2011 09:52 |  #1

I want to start a post where all of the Android tablet users can post up ideas, suggestions, etc for using tablets in their photography hobby/business. So anything you have to add, please do so. As much detail you can provide would be great.
Hopefully this thread will continually grow and be updated regularly.

* Please do not let this turn into an Android vs. Apple debate, there are other places for that. I just want something for Android specific tablets since they seem to have less info than the Ipad. *

My Story:
- I bought the Asus Transformer tablet (TF) mainly for client presentations. I wanted to have something like a tablet to show clients their pictures for proofing albums, reviewing shots, etc. I shoot weddings, portraits, commercial, landscapes, transportation, etc.
- I have never used Android before so this has been a little learning curve for me and I still have a lot to learn but on the surface this thing has been great.

Gear:
- Asus Transformer tablet (TF) & Keyboard Dock
- Canon 7d & Canon 40d (both use CF cards)

Experiences:
- Client Presentation: I used the TF with a customer for the first time last week. We went through about 200 pictures for their album proofing. I used the "Zfolio" app, which is the photo hosting site, Zenfolio, that I use. I have my website setup through them so all of my cleints pics are on there. This app is awesome! You can scroll through the pics easily and they look great. And the best feature on this app is the rating feature. You can star (1-4) any pic. So this was extremely helpful when the customers were picking out their favorites for the album. If they didnt like one that I picked, 1 star it. If they liked one that I didnt pick, 4 star it, etc. Worked flawlessly. Then I could go home, set the TF in the dock next to my photo editing machine and bring up the collection we were looking at, set the rating to whatever star you choose and bam, all the pics show up that were numbered with that star and I can then add or delete them on my main computer. Worked great!

Tethered Shooting:
- I can say that this is not working seamlessly yet. Here is what I have found - if you shoot Raw + Jpeg, eject the card, put the card into a card reader and insert the card reader into the dock usb port, the TF WILL read the jpgs only. Obviously reading RAW files is a hassle but there is an app out there that does read Raw files ( RawDroid ) I tested it last night but not long enough to learn how to use it. But that apparently does work. But the obvious drawback to this is the fact that you have to take the card out of the camera, into the reader, etc. This is a major pain especially if you are trying to shoot and look at your shots instantaneously.
- So my solution to this last night was to try to hook up the camera directly to the TF dock. Here is the amazing part (at least in my opinion) the TF reads the camera! It knows that a camera is connected and it shows up in the gallery as 'Canon EOS.' But the problem is the camera itself. Yep, the $1700 Canon I own will not work in Android. With the camera plugged into the TF, it turns on but will not do anything. Every button I push says "busy" and will not work. So I emailed Canon last night and got a quick response. I am paraphrasing here but "we do not support Android yet." SO that being said, the next best thing to do is the following. Have the usb wire plugged into the dock, disconnect it from the camera, shoot Raw + Jpeg. Then plug the wire back into the camera and voila, the TF loads the pics in "Gallery" and you can then view them in high res glory. Yes its a pain having to plug, unplug the wire from the camera but at least the pics show up and the TF reads them almost instantly. No load time (it is easier leaving the usb end plugged into the dock and then just disconnecting from the camera, rather than the other way around.) So you could shoot a handful of shots, give your subject a quick brake, plug it in, view it and review your lighting, poses, etc.

Future Wishlist:
- I really hope in the next few months that some developers come out with a way to wirelessly send pics to the TF or at least view it in real time while tethered. I wouldnt mind being tethered at the very least for now.
- Also, what would be great is finding out who is possibly using the "Eye-Fi" cards. Some people have reported this working here but its very hit or miss. I have heard the SD cards with the new firmware on Eye-Fi works but that does many of us no justice because we cant use SD cards. So if you have this system working WITH CF cards, please let us know the details.

www.nickpompei.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Canon 5d3-gripped / Canon 5d / Canon EOS M / Phottix Mitros + (3) / Tamron 17-35 (2.8-4.0) / Tamron 28-75 (2.8) / Canon 35L / Canon 50 (1.4) / Sigma 85 (1.4) / Canon 70-200(2.8)IS

sponsored links
Sean ­ A
21 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 07, 2011 15:51 |  #2

Perfect timing as I was just wondering about this today, after a long weekend of social events as the designated paparazzi. Would have loved a way to more immediately share the photos than the 3" screen on my 5DII.

I just read (this afternoon) about the Toshiba "Thrive (external link)" Android tablet. Besides having a built-in SD slot, it has a full size built-in USB port. I was thinking about using it to attach my card reader, but am intrigued by your experiments using the TF doc, and treating the camera as a 'mass storage' device. Wonder if that would work on the Toshiba? Hmmm.

npompei
THREAD ­ STARTER
563 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 07, 2011 19:51 |  #3

Sean - I have attached my card reader to my dock and it does work. So that is a plus for sure but obviously you need to be shooting Jpegs.

Anyone else with any of the Eye-Fi card experience and an Android tablet?

Flickr (external link)
Canon 5d3-gripped / Canon 5d / Canon EOS M / Phottix Mitros + (3) / Tamron 17-35 (2.8-4.0) / Tamron 28-75 (2.8) / Canon 35L / Canon 50 (1.4) / Sigma 85 (1.4) / Canon 70-200(2.8)IS

SL888
59 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 07, 2011 21:18 |  #4

Just picked up a Transformer as well. Typing this message from it actually. Don't have the dock yet as it's sold out everywhere. Does it recognize raw files at all through the file manager? I would like to be able to transfer my JPEG + raw images to an external hd using the dock.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 07, 2011 23:51 |  #5

Subscribed.

It's getting to the point now where I think the platform is mature enough that I'm going to pick up an Android tablet in the near future. Hopefully I can get some pointers from here...

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

npompei
THREAD ­ STARTER
563 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 08, 2011 06:23 |  #6

SL888 - Good question. I really don't think it even see's the Raw files. I have not gone into Filemanager to check though, so maybe I can do that soon. But I know for sure that the dock does read my WD passport portable hd!

Flickr (external link)

Sean ­ A
21 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 08, 2011 16:49 |  #7

BTW, everyone, in doing some more digging around last night, it seems that the keys are
1) having Honeycomb 3.1, which supports "USB On-the-go (external link)". Basically, it lets you connect mice, keyboards, and external storage
2) Having a tablet that has a "regular" (or 'type A') USB port. It is still be possible with tablets that have a mini-USB or even micro-USB connector, though it gets more complicated than I cared to try to figure out (wikipedia (external link)). It looks to me that you need the "micro" or "mini" equivalent of a USB printer cable (you know, with the "regular" USB male on one end, and the "Square" (or Type B) on the end that goes into the peripheral.

To the best of my knowledge, so far that leaves us with the Transformer (with Keyboard), the Thrive and the Acer Iconia (both with USB built into the device). If/when the XOOM gets updated to 3.1 it might work too?

Nick-I'd bet that the filemanager could 'see' the RAW files if you needed to offload them. I remember hearing of at least one Android app that will render the RAW files, but I'd be curious how long that would take...at least until Tegra 3 tablets come out this fall !

Nick- So you had to pull up the library in both the PC and the tablet, and manually set the star rating? or did Zenfolio sync them automagically?

npompei
THREAD ­ STARTER
563 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 08, 2011 18:44 as a reply to  @ Sean A's post |  #8

Nick- So you had to pull up the library in both the PC and the tablet, and manually set the star rating? or did Zenfolio sync them automagically?[/QUOTE]

Hey Sean, first good job digging around. If I remember correctly, I plugged in my card reader when I still had HC 3.0 and it still worked. I never tethered at that point so I cant comment on that but by tethering, even if its a slight pain, it does work very quickly and loads instantly.

As far as the Zfolio app goes, it just rates them in the app itself. It doesnt add them into lightroom or anything like that. So I had the tablet next to the PC just to look over, check the rating and swipe to the next pic. I would just then go manually into Lightroom and add that picture(s) to a new collection. Sure it would be nice for all of that to be done automatically, but lets not get carried away!

It might be possible to use the remotedesktop feature with LR and try rating them that way? Its kind of a pain though as I have tried!

Flickr (external link)

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,168 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 08, 2011 18:56 as a reply to  @ Sean A's post |  #9

Wow. I've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab but I don't think it can do much, photowise.

Sean ­ A
21 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 08, 2011 19:00 |  #10

Nick-
I do think some mfr's (like the Transformer) enabled USB support even without 3.1. But it is "good to go" with 3.1

Wouldn't it be nice if Adobe made a "LightroomLight" app for the tablets so you could do exactly like you were trying to, and have it sync the picks/rejects and stars when you get back home?

mitchrapp
171 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 08, 2011 19:37 as a reply to  @ Sean A's post |  #11

I have a Xoom with 3.1 Honeycomb. You need a micro USB male to USB female (or whatever you want to plug it into) but it has to be an OTG cable. So far, ebay cables that claim they are OTG have been hit or miss and the only reliable one you can get without waiting weeks to come from China is the official Motorola one (Xoom camera kit) for $20 from Motorola or at WorstBuy.

RawDroid on the android market can extract the thumbnail jpegs from raw files.

56_kruiser
108 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 08, 2011 22:48 |  #12

On my T2i I find that the camera bombs out when I connect the usb to the TF. Also, RawDroid does not seem to read RAW files written by the T2i. I think they are a different/newer format, maybe.

Canon EOS T2i
Canon 80D

npompei
THREAD ­ STARTER
563 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 09, 2011 07:17 |  #13

mitchrapp wrote in post #12560376 (external link)
I have a Xoom with 3.1 Honeycomb. You need a micro USB male to USB female (or whatever you want to plug it into) but it has to be an OTG cable. So far, ebay cables that claim they are OTG have been hit or miss and the only reliable one you can get without waiting weeks to come from China is the official Motorola one (Xoom camera kit) for $20 from Motorola or at WorstBuy.

RawDroid on the android market can extract the thumbnail jpegs from raw files.

Hold up, not sure what you are talking about here? Is this cable different than the one that Canon supplies with their camera? I am guessing this cable carries different data than other Micro USB to USB cables?! If that is the case could this possibly work for data transfer from the 7d? I hope this is what you are elaborating?

Because I am using this same type of cable right now to run the 7d to the TF. Its the same one that Canon included with the camera and I tried another of the same type of cable but coming from my card reader. Is it possible that these OTB cables are different?

Any more insight would be great, thanks Mitchrapp

Flickr (external link)

casy_pei
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 09, 2011 11:07 |  #14

Thanks for the topic - subscribed

mitchrapp
171 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 09, 2011 13:31 as a reply to  @ casy_pei's post |  #15

I think the TF is different from the Xoom in this regards. The Xoom does not have a female usb port built into it. It's a female microUSB and doesn't have host functions on it, so it wouldn't know that something like a flash drive, etc. is being plugged into it, which is why Xoom users need an OTG cable.

The T2i shoots CR2 and RawDroid sees them and extracts jpegs from them fine. You have to extract the whole folder at a time, though.

sponsored links

86,251 views & 0 likes for this thread
Android Tablet section
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.