Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 15:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RadioPopper - Group Power Level questions

johnlo
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 09, 2011 15:33 |  #1

i am using RadioPopper PX Transmitter on 580EXII (camera top) and JrX RX w/ RPCube attached to 580EXII. I control the power level output in either G1, G2, or G3 - level from 01 to 32. I know 01 would be the lowest power and 32 being at full power. at 01, is it 1/128 power or 1/32 power? and which level would be 1/8 power, or 1/4 power, or 1/2 power be at ??? at first i was thinking level 16 would be half power... since 32 is full. but realized it cant be.... or am I wrong?

just trying to understand these settings better.

johnlo photography :
personal blog: http://www.jklimagery.​com (external link)
My Gear List

johnlo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 09, 2011 20:45 |  #2

No one use RP??

johnlo photography :
My Gear List

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 09, 2011 22:35 |  #3

I think you're putting too much thought into this and it is not really neccessary to know what each flash output level would correspond with each numerical value in the group power level settings. If you want to be exact then use the PX transmitter with a PX receiver while using the wireless configuratiion in the manual mode. The RP cubes with JRx Studio receivers, when triggered by either the PX or JRx transmitters, is a variable flash value. It is easy just to guess at what flash value may be needed and then using either a flash meter or chimping readjust the power level until the desired flash output is set. I usually go on the assumption, when using a 580EX along with the PX transmitter, that 4 levels will give me about a one stop change in flash power. I am usually wrong but it is easy just to change the level settings until I am dialed in where I need to be.

Rand

Gear

johnlo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 10, 2011 09:05 |  #4

thx for the reply Agv8or. I know I am putting too much time into thinking of this. heheh! this only happens when I am on my commuter train in the morning w/ nothing to read.

johnlo photography :
My Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

844 views & 0 likes for this thread
RadioPopper - Group Power Level questions
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.