Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 10 Jun 2011 (Friday) 21:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Apple iPad: "Photography related equipment"?

this thread is locked
NovusPhoto
363 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 10, 2011 21:10 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Once again, I find myself frustrated by the policies of POTN.

I Recently bought an iPad 2, after seeing some of my fellow photographers in my friends circle using it as a key part of their workflow. Displaying RAW files to clients using a 3rd party app, as a digital portfolio, making it easy to take your work with you into the field, showing clients your work, organizing multiple folders of images, videos shot with DSLR's, etc.

I am NOT an Apple guy, so I decided to sell mine, here. I've seen MacBooks and other computer related gear sold on the marketplace forums here, so, assumed an ipad would be fine. It's a digital device, and part of the gear list of almost EVERY photographer I know.

Post mine for sale here, and get a curt message from POTN telling me my topic was deleted because it's not "photography equipment related".

I disagree with this, but who am I to argue with the POTN regime?

So, I'm curious if other photographers would agree that the iPad is NOT equipment related to the field of photography? Any less so that MacBooks or other computer products sold on the forums at any given time?

http://www.novusphotog​raphy.ca (external link)

Edfrommars
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 10, 2011 21:28 |  #2

I would say that it's about the same as any other computer product when it comes to photography-relatedness. It's certainly not photography-specific, but it can definitely play a major role in a photographer's workflow.

If i had to rank it above or below a computer on that scale I might say slightly below, just because the iPad has a stripped operating system. I do like some Apple products, but the iPad, in my opinion, just isn't that great.

Moppie
14,845 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jun 10, 2011 21:36 |  #3

NovusPhoto wrote in post #12572978 (external link)
I disagree with this, but who am I to argue with the POTN regime?

The whole point of a regime is you don't argue with it, and if you try you will always lose.

Fortunately POTN is not a regime, it's a community over seen by a benevolent committee who volunteer to support a benevolent owner.

As such, feedback is welcome, just through the correct channels, as laid out in the guidelines and rules.
I suggest you have a read of them, as they also include rules about commenting on moderation in the open forum.

As for your problems with the iPad it is something that was discussed at length by the Mods, and I am sure will be again.

Many of us own iPads, I happen to use mine to take notes during client meetings and to show proofs for print ordering.
But, we have come to a very clear consensus that they do not fit our requirements for photography equipment.
I could do exactly the same things on my Phone, so allowing the iPad in starts us on a very long and slippery slope into filling the classifieds forums with things that have only the loosest connections.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,794 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Jun 11, 2011 08:43 |  #4

I also have iPad 2 and love it.

If we would allow iPad and iPhone (same device, different size) and all other touchpads from Dell, Samsung, HTC etc. we would never get a chance to see an ad for camera or lens, the sheer volume of old iPad and iPhone sellers is too big.

In future we will have solutions to this problem, but not now.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,259 views & 0 likes for this thread
Apple iPad: "Photography related equipment"?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.