Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Jun 2011 (Saturday) 12:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gitzo legs rotating problem

CJSmith
390 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 11, 2011 12:45 |  #1

Has anyone else had this problem? When one of the legs on my 3541LS is fully extended, the middle leg section rotates when I unlock the last section. I have tried disassembling the middle section and it looks just like the other sections. It's just not catching on whatever it should to keep it in place. Do I need new bushings? The tripod is about 6 months old and I have disassembled it once to clean and degrease. Any ideas?

6D, Σ15 FE, 17mm TS-E, 24-105, 70-300L, 40mm 2.8, 85mm 1.8, 100L, 600EX-RT, Kenko 2X MC4, Kenko Tubes
www.OutofChicago.com:external link The Chicago Photography Experience
Flickrexternal link

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 11, 2011 15:57 |  #2

Huh, that def should not be happening, none of those legs should be rotating in any way. Might be a call to Manfrotto in the future for you...

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 11, 2011 16:55 |  #3

ben_r_ wrote in post #12576432 (external link)
Might be a call to Manfrotto in the future for you...

Manfrotto handles Gitzo's repairs these days? :D

Roy

va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 11, 2011 16:56 |  #4

rvdw98 wrote in post #12576636 (external link)
Manfrotto handles Gitzo's repairs these days? :D

Yep.

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 11, 2011 16:58 |  #5

va_rider wrote in post #12576639 (external link)
Yep.

You never stop learning. Do you have an address?

Roy

va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 11, 2011 17:36 |  #6

Well.... in the U.S., Manfrotto / Bogen takes care of Gitzo issues... I only know because I had to get the spring loaded hook at the bottom of the center column replaced on mine.... in the Netherlands, you might have a different service center... but... the parts I needed came out of New Jersey from Manfrotto / Bogen

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 11, 2011 17:59 |  #7

AFAIK, Bogen is the distributor for Manfrotto and Gitzo in the US. To me, that's not the same as Manfrotto doing repairs for Gitzo.

Frankly, I never really understood why Manfrotto rebranded their lineup in the US as if it were manufactured by their local distributor and assigned completely different product designations as well. This makes for great fun when trying to find online reviews, and having to search for two different brands and and model numbers for the exact same product. Same with Canon's Rebel/Kiss/xxxD babel.

Roy

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 11, 2011 19:44 |  #8

Yea and get this, Manfrotto in the US is the only one I know of offering the lifetime warranty on Gitzo products. Gitzo does not. So other countries dont get that luxury.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

CJSmith
THREAD ­ STARTER
390 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 12, 2011 01:24 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #9

Well, I guess I do need to put a call in. It only happens when the leg is full extended. But that's the way I normally open it. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it goes.

6D, Σ15 FE, 17mm TS-E, 24-105, 70-300L, 40mm 2.8, 85mm 1.8, 100L, 600EX-RT, Kenko 2X MC4, Kenko Tubes
www.OutofChicago.com:external link The Chicago Photography Experience
Flickrexternal link

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 12, 2011 03:40 |  #10

ben_r_ wrote in post #12577306 (external link)
Yea and get this, Manfrotto in the US is the only one I know of offering the lifetime warranty on Gitzo products.

Manfrotto or Bogen?

Roy

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,622 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 12, 2011 12:46 |  #11

rvdw98 wrote in post #12576864 (external link)
Frankly, I never really understood why Manfrotto rebranded their lineup in the US as if it were manufactured by their local distributor and assigned completely different product designations as well..

Perhaps it was the Bogen Imaging in USA was the distribution arm, and Bogen 'private labeled' the tripods sold in USA which were made by Manfrotto for a long time. Bogen not only distributed tripods but also lighting equipment and darkroom equipment--you've never heard of Manfrotto light stands, have you? Not unheard of to private label goods as an exclusive distribution company...in USA back in the 1960s Beseler (the enlarger company) sold the Topcon SLRs with the Beseler name clearly on the body, and with different model naming (for example 'Super D', instead of 'RE Super'), Honeywell's name was clearly on the Pentax camera line (although they did see to leave the model name alone).

In more recent years, in the case of Manfrotto and Bogen Imaging one company bought the other, and the 'Bogen' name and model designations disappeared.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 12, 2011 13:04 |  #12

Wilt wrote in post #12580430 (external link)
Bogen not only distributed tripods but also lighting equipment and darkroom equipment--you've never heard of Manfrotto light stands, have you?

I haven't?
http://www.manfrotto.c​om …y/8373.16112.0.​0.0/Stands (external link)

Wilt wrote in post #12580430 (external link)
Not unheard of to private label goods as an exclusive distribution company...

I didn't say it was unheard of, I said I don't understand why they did it as it creates confusion and unnecessary effort for the customer when comparing models on today's international market.

Roy

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,622 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 12, 2011 13:23 |  #13

Roy, you previously stated, "I never really understood why " and I gave a response to 'why'. I just did a bit of research, and it gives the history behind the 'why'. http://www.takegreatpi​ctures.com …maging-by-jon-sienkiewicz (external link)

"Lester Bogen, a graduate of Cornell University, was a man of many talents, including proficiency as a photographer and writer. He acquired a small company that distributed darkroom supplies and photographic accessories in 1959 and founded Bogen Photo. In 1970, at the photographic industry’s premier biennial trade show in Cologne, Germany, Lester Bogen met Lino Manfrotto and the perfect storm of innovative camera support accessories and studio equipment was formed.

"Manfrotto, whose background included a stint as a photojournalist in Northern Italy, had developed an innovative line of lighting stands. After receiving strong, positive responses from professional photographers at a seminar in Switzerland in 1969, he decided to display his wares in Cologne at Photokina. Bogen recognized the U.S. sales potential and convinced Manfrotto to develop a separate manufacturing company. (Until that time, Manfrotto had been producing the equipment in a workshop he’d set up in his father’s garage in Bassano del Grappa, north of Rome.) That was the birth of Lino Manfrotto & Co. SPA.

"The history of Bogen and Manfrotto remains permanently intertwined even today. Lester Bogen insisted that Manfrotto manufacture a line of camera tripods. The first two models were the 028-TRIMAN (known as the 3046 here in the US) and the 058-TRIAUT (3051). Today, nearly 40 years later, Manfrotto produces more than a half-million camera and lighting supports each year."

Manfrotto started making light stands (I didn't know that Bogen sourced its lighting stuff from Manfrotto, too.). Bogen later was the one who caused Manfrotto to start making tripods.

Lester Bogen negotiated the sale of his company to Hasselblad before his death in 1988. Vitec purchased Manfrotto in 1989. Then Vitec purchased Bogen. In 1992 Manfrotto (parent Vitec) purchased Gitzo. In 2004, corporate parent Vitec created Bogen Imaging Ltd as a distribution arm headquartered in UK. Then In 2010, Bogen Imaging changed its name to become Manfrotto Distribution in all of its territories-Germany, France, Italy, UK, Japan and the USA.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Russ61
265 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 13, 2011 03:26 |  #14

Back to the original question, ie why is the user's leg rotating? I suspect that the 2 white bushings are NOT seated in the holes at the top of the tube. They MUST be seated. That keeps them at the top of the tube AND with enough space between them so that the key (2, 180 deg apart) on the inside of the next larger tube rides between the bushings. This is what prevents the leg rotation. Look at the Tripod Maintenance (external link) of Versa and Gitzo tripods on RRS's site. Pay particular attention to steps 15-16 (BTW, there is no "white arrow" on Gitzo tripods).

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 13, 2011 03:32 |  #15

rvdw98 wrote in post #12576864 (external link)
This makes for great fun when trying to find online reviews, and having to search for two different brands and and model numbers for the exact same product. Same with Canon's Rebel/Kiss/xxxD babel.

Best is when the reviewer reviews both and makes one "brand" or "model" come out much better without noticing that they have tested two identical products.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sponsored links

2,042 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gitzo legs rotating problem
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.