Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 12 Jun 2011 (Sunday) 20:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fixed Bike, Biking and Photography -- Pics and Two Questions!

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 12, 2011 23:55 |  #31

Well, my "little" list is growing!

I guess I'll have to make my own thread a favorite:)!

The back rack and bags do sound cool! Short of a major tumble I'd guess they will be the way to go!

And yeah, night riding is off-limits until I get that part worked out -- I had to tell my 18-year-old grandson that just less than 2 hours ago. He's the kind who wears all dark/black clothes on top of it. I know there have been times I've been driving down a dark road at night and there are some cyclists who are pretty lucky that I caught enough of a glimpse with the not-always-adequate headlights to be able to avoid them.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links
FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 13, 2011 00:04 |  #32

Belmondo wrote in post #12583026 (external link)
Helmet cam!!

rofl :lol:

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 13, 2011 00:16 |  #33

I'll have to get one before I take my first tumble:)!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 13, 2011 17:27 |  #34

Well, I think I'm going to take a little run in my "new" fixed bike here in a bit. I'll go on a pretty healthy loop that will take me by the nearby transit center (say hi to the buses) and then a couple park areas.

I've decided to wear that backpack, but with a light load -- just my 5D and the 24-105. I want to see how it handles, it will give me a chance to take some random pictures, and the pack if very well padded to that even if something nasty happens the gear should be OK.

Wish me a good time -- this'll be my first "real" outing:)!

Tony

picard
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 13, 2011 17:46 |  #35

bikes have disk brakes nowadays.

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 13, 2011 20:34 |  #36

picard wrote in post #12587572 (external link)
bikes have disk brakes nowadays.

Ah well, this bike is 20 years old, and all in all functions well!

I'm back from the ride, processing photos now!

Tony

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jun 13, 2011 20:37 |  #37

tonylong wrote in post #12582554 (external link)
And the last pic, to give you an idea of scale, is the inside with my 1D3 with the 100-400 lens and the 1.4x TC attached, and to the side is my 16-35:

QUOTED IMAGE

And where is your POTN neck strap? :confused:

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 13, 2011 20:47 |  #38

I'm in a similar situation but what I think I am going to do is buy some kind of rack and for the front and back of the bike to put my gear in.

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 13, 2011 21:46 |  #39

Belmondo wrote in post #12588499 (external link)

The dog ate it. ;):eek:

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 13, 2011 23:46 |  #40

Belmondo wrote in post #12588499 (external link)

jdizzle wrote in post #12588905 (external link)
The dog ate it. ;):eek:

Heh! Yeah, that's the ticket, honest:)!

enrigonz wrote in post #12588570 (external link)
I'm in a similar situation but what I think I am going to do is buy some kind of rack and for the front and back of the bike to put my gear in.

Eventually I probably will...but at least for now I can get out with a camera:)!

Tony

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jun 13, 2011 23:53 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #41

It would seem to me that maybe you could use the bike itself as a tripod by wrapping a Gorillapod around the handlebars. It would certainly work as well as a monopod, and possibly better, and it would be a lot less to carry around. I'd use a cable shutter release, and it would be pretty stable, especially if you don't handhold the camera.

Hmmmmmm. Getting ideas of my own.

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 14, 2011 00:00 |  #42

And, speaking of getting out with a camera, here are a few shots from today's bike ride!!

My first stop was the transit center. Those familiar with my recent exciting life know that my wrecked car has left me dependent on the bike and then the local transit. The system here sucks, but in the past week I've tried to get familiar enough with it to get around, so this stop let me get needed schedules and stuff.

A coupe angles on a nice sunny day:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/135567270/original.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/135565676/original.jpg

Now, if I say the ride there was pretty "easy", that should raise some red flags to bike riders used to riding in "terrain" -- especially since this town is in a river valley where there is a slow but steady slope down to the river, and I'm relatively close to the river.

It was OK to my next stop, a few upward slopes but not to bad, but this little neighborhood park was there and I decided to grab a couple shots:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/135567616/original.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/135567617/original.jpg

But, to my dismay it was all uphill from there -- maybe only half a mile or so, I don't know, but I exhausted myself and then resorted to walking the bike a couple of times after virtually collapsing.

No pictures of that part! Maybe if I had one of the helmet cams:)?

Eventually I really do hope to get in shape for this stuff!

Oh, and tomorrow my friend is planning on coming over with some brake pads, and maybe, just maybe my cranky brake noises will go away!!!

Hmm...should I celebrate with a POTN strap:)?

Tony

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 14, 2011 00:03 |  #43

Belmondo wrote in post #12589544 (external link)
It would seem to me that maybe you could use the bike itself as a tripod by wrapping a Gorillapod around the handlebars. It would certainly work as well as a monopod, and possibly better, and it would be a lot less to carry around. I'd use a cable shutter release, and it would be pretty stable, especially if you don't handhold the camera.

Hmmmmmm. Getting ideas of my own.

Cool, more ideas!

I really don't want to be in la-la land about "making lemonade out of lemons" -- sucky things happen and I'm not one to just say "oh lah lah lah" and hide my eyes and plug my ears.

But it can be cool to get some inspiration from friends near and far that can help one to rise above adversity a bit!

Tony

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 14, 2011 01:27 |  #44

Tony with all your bike ridin buddies in the other thread, you would think that the " ride and take pics theme " just might take off

Omar bought a new S95 for his rides and Nicky just bought a bike maybe they'll contribute :cool:

helmet cam FTW! :lol:

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 14, 2011 01:58 |  #45

Yeah, that would be a cool thing for a bunch of us to collaborate on!

I should say that SkyGod44 (Simon) started a thread a while back on walking or biking at least a mile and taking photos:

https://photography-on-the.net …highlight=save+​the+planet

But when we are talking about really targeting biking photography, well, it can be interesting getting into all this!

Tony

sponsored links

25,530 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fixed Bike, Biking and Photography -- Pics and Two Questions!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.