Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Jun 2011 (Monday) 21:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

35mm - Samyang vs Canon L - A Quick Comparison

shujert
595 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 13, 2011 21:28 |  #1

I've noticed I really enjoy having more of the background in my shots to help tell the story in images, so I decided I wanted to give the 35mm focal length another go. I've heard good things about the new Samyang/Rokinon 35 1.4 and of course we all now how wonderful the Canon L is. So, I decided to place an order for the Samyang and I traded my Sigmalux for the L. I took a break from packing for my upcoming move to snap a few quick shots to compare the image quality of the two lenses. All center point focus, same settings for each pair of images. Not the most carefully done tests, but I'm hoping this will give you a very basic idea of how these two lenses stack up. Here are the results:

IMAGE: http://shuje.com/tests/35-1.jpg

IMAGE: http://shuje.com/tests/35-2.jpg

IMAGE: http://shuje.com/tests/35-3.jpg

Shu
flickr (external link) feedbackLeica M + 50 Lux ASPH

sponsored links
shujert
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 13, 2011 21:30 |  #2

In case you haven't figured it out, the Samyang is on the left, L glass on the right. As you can see, I think the Samyang stacks up really nicely to the L ... I find it sharper in the center than the L, but it does expose a bit darker. Colors are a tad bit richer with the Samyang, and I think contrast is also better in the cheaper lens. Put these two in bright light situations and I think you'd have a very difficult time distinguishing one lens from the other. Another observation to note is the difference in focal length. The Samyang is probably closer to a 38 or a 40 instead of 35. Not the most challenging of conditions, but the background blur seems very comparable as well.

Regarding build quality, the L is of course better, but I must say, the Samyang isn't bad at all. The focus ring is very smooth and long, making it easy to dial in focus. The lenses weigh approximately the same, but the Samyang is longer. The lens hood is a cheap plastic, as is the lens cap, and the included pouch isn't made of the nicest materials either. But for less than half the price of the Canon, at $500, the Samyang is a great alternative if you can deal with the manual focus.

Shu

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,077 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 13, 2011 21:44 |  #3

I'm amazed at how similar they look. Even the bokeh highlights look almost identical. Weird. I just ordered a focus screen yesterday, but also ordered a samyang (rokinon, actually) 14mm. This is high on my list of future purchases, though. Thanks for the comparisons.

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 13, 2011 21:44 |  #4

Thank you for sharing. I don't know that I agree with your conclusions regarding the center sharpness matchup, but the Samyang is certainly no slouch.

As for the focal length, the Samyang may be a little longer than 35mm, but the 35L is also like 34mm or something (I forget the exact fl). Keep in mind that this discrepancy can give an apparent resolution advantage to the Samyang when comparing shots taken from the same spot.

Also, it would be nice to see comparison shots at a (much) lower ISO, but beggars can't be choosers :)

Thanks again

aznkidd55
344 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 13, 2011 21:47 |  #5

is it a focal length difference or minimum focus difference?

5D2 | 50 | 135L

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,077 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 13, 2011 21:49 |  #6

Actually, I was wondering a bit about your iso choice as well. You seem to be using a tripod or other fixed point for taking the pictures (maybe not?), so it is a bit surprising you used such high shutter speed and ISO. BTW, did you apply any post production to the photos?
Thanks again for putting in the effort :)

You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

shujert
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 13, 2011 21:55 |  #7

Honestly, the comparison shots were done pretty quickly, without a tripod, which is why I chose the iso I did. I just wanted to eliminate any possibility of blur since I was hand holding. Again, not the best comparison shots, I know, I just wanted to quickly illustrate how similar these lenses seem to be. If I have some time over the next couple of days, I'll take some shots at a lower iso and across more of the aperture range.

These shots were not taken anywhere close to the mfd of either lens, so the difference is indeed in the focal length of the lenses.

Shu

shujert
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 13, 2011 21:56 |  #8

Oh, and no post was done, just standard sharpening due to raw to jpg conversion in LR.

Shu

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 13, 2011 22:01 |  #9

Mookalafalas wrote in post #12588923 (external link)
Actually, I was wondering a bit about your iso choice as well. You seem to be using a tripod or other fixed point for taking the pictures (maybe not?), so it is a bit surprising you used such high shutter speed and ISO. BTW, did you apply any post production to the photos?
Thanks again for putting in the effort :)

Unless those were handheld shots, I have no idea why he didn't just run the test using ISO 100...

My Gearlist

datadump
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 13, 2011 22:01 |  #10

samyang ftw;) i just bought the 14mm.. this one is looking good too!

datadump

TuanTime
759 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 13, 2011 22:09 as a reply to  @ datadump's post |  #11

I'd say those are pretty sharp handheld. It seems that the Samyang produces a bit more background blur, but that's probably due to the difference in focal length. The first shot shows the difference in blur the most.

Gameface
672 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 13, 2011 22:21 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

Have the Roki 85 and it is one of my favorite lenses. Thanks for the post, this is definitely next on my list!

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,077 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 13, 2011 22:22 |  #13

Well, it was just a quick comparison, as Shujert said, but now we'll all be hounding him for more details:) For me, my appetite is more whetted than my questions answered. I'd now really like to see something closer to the target (MFD) so that we could get a better idea of what kind of bokeh this lens can produce, and of course at ISO 100. Sounds like he is pretty busy now...
Shujert, see what you've started!? No getting out of it! I'll wait 3 days and then start to pester you for more info.

silverant
375 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 13, 2011 22:47 |  #14

I like the left picture more than the right picture.

Oh no... Wrong choice ?

5D II | 550D | 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 4 IS | 50 1.8 | 100 2.8 IS | 580 ex II
sold : 450d | 17-40 | 17-55 2.8 | 24-105 | 85 1.8 | 70-200 4

shujert
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 13, 2011 22:53 |  #15

Mookalafalas wrote in post #12589108 (external link)
Well, it was just a quick comparison, as Shujert said, but now we'll all be hounding him for more details:) For me, my appetite is more whetted than my questions answered. I'd now really like to see something closer to the target (MFD) so that we could get a better idea of what kind of bokeh this lens can produce, and of course at ISO 100. Sounds like he is pretty busy now...
Shujert, see what you've started!? No getting out of it! I'll wait 3 days and then start to pester you for more info.

Haha, I'll take a few more shots in the next few days. I figured the comparison would either be criticized or appreciated :)

Shu

sponsored links

23,369 views & 0 likes for this thread
35mm - Samyang vs Canon L - A Quick Comparison
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.