Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 14 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 10:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

whats your post-process process?

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 14, 2011 10:51 |  #1

what is the best way to go through many files?

background: i was at a friend's wedding this weekend, acting as an unofficial 3rd shooter (not getting in the way of the photog during ceremony, i only took my camera out for the dinner and outside shots, as the photog finished his package at the ceremony). i have about 500 shots that i took. so far, i used DPP quickcheck to get rid of about 100 - the test shots, the blurs, the underexposed, etc...

now, for the remaining 400 or so shots, i want to go through them and clean them up - i went through about 20 thus far, and i find myself adjusting noise reduction and sharpness (on the jpg tab) for each one. i am unfamiliar with using "recipes" in DPP - can i batch apply NR and sharpness to all of the photos? then, i can go thru the rest, and crop etc as necessary.

but also, how do the rest of you guys do it? is there an easy way to go through all of your photos, or do you just go through each one, one by one, fixing whatever needs fixing?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 14, 2011 11:38 |  #2

Select all images in the main window. Then hit Cmd (Ctrl)+T to get to the tool palette.

Any adjustments you do, will affect all selected images.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 14, 2011 11:53 |  #3

Yes you can apply NR and sharpness to multiple files.
A couple ways you can do it:
I hope you know how to select and highlight multiple file thumbnails.
Just select all the image thumbnails you want to apply NR and Sharpening to. Click the Tool Palette Icon to open the tool palette and make you adjustments. It will be applied to all highlighted Thumbnails.

Second way is to double click the first Image thumbnail which will open the file into the edit window. Open the Tool Palette and make your adjustments. Then Right Click your mouse on the picture to open up the pop-up menu. Select "Copy Recipe to Clipboard".
Back in the main view window select all the image thumbnails of for the pictures that you want to apply those adjustments to. Right Click you Mouse on one of them and select "Paste Recipe To Selected Images".

The drawback to doing that is that not all images will require the same exact adjustment. What works for one might be too much or too little for others.

About sorting your images, If all you have is the software that was included with the camera, you can start sorting with Zoombrowser EX where you can preview and rate them as well as add keywords if you like. Obviously you want to delete any that are bad or you just don't want wasting space. Then from there you can move into DPP to do whatever corrections and batch convert them for whatever reason.

You will find that all though people will hang onto DPP, they don't hardly use it after a while. Eventually people opt for different software. For organization, editing/corrections, (Raw Development), Printing an then some Photoshop Lightroom (external link) is quite popular.
And then other get Photoshop CS5 which has it's own file organization application as well as Raw Development and editing. But that's an investment I hesitate to recommend unless you really need to manipulate photos and are into graphics art and design. It's a very powerful application suite which is also expensive.

Many people will opt for Lightroom and the much less expensive Photoshop Elements (external link) that work well together.

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 14, 2011 13:11 |  #4

I forgot about this. These videos can help a lot with DPP.
http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …rials/dpp_tutor​ials.shtml (external link)

Tim Kerr

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,256 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 14, 2011 13:34 |  #5

Those videos are very good and you will find all this in there. Using DPP

1. I will create a file on my desktop. DPP is faster working off the desktop.

2. Open the file and Select All Images

3. Click on Quick Check and then full screen

4. Command (mac) and right arrow to go through the images and I tag them

- Hit X for copies for images to reject

- option (mac) 1 to select images that need further than global editing.

- option (mac) 2 to 5 depending on groups

5. When done

Edit – Rating – Select rejected images only

File - Delete

All rejected images are deleted

6. I open any image and do WB, sharpening, lens distortion, NR, etc then minimize it.

7. Edit – copy recipe to clip board

8. Select all images

9. Edit - Paste recipe to selected image - this makes the change to all the selected images.

10. Clear all images

Note: I may do the in groups. You cannot apply same settings to indoor shots an outdoor. Sometimes it is better on a separate card or sort them before.

Then I work on the images I tagged 1 that need more work - levelling, etc.

11. View – Sort – select Check mark 1.

12. Make all individual adjustments to Check mark 1 images.

13. Select All images with Check mark 1

14. Label – Rmove check mark

15. Open any image and close it to reset number sequence. That out puts them in the correct order
again.

16. Select all images

17. Tools – Start Rename Tool to reset the numbering sequence

18. Select all images

19. Batch Process for conversion.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 15, 2011 06:40 |  #6

thanks guys
the select all > tool palette helped out tremendously. saved me quite alot of time, and i was able to go through to the other touchups much quicker.

i am looking to get LR3 sometime this year, but for now i think DPP suits my level of skill/comfort with pictures and PP

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 15, 2011 09:45 |  #7

ekinnyc wrote in post #12596733 (external link)
thanks guys
the select all > tool palette helped out tremendously. saved me quite alot of time, and i was able to go through to the other touchups much quicker.

i am looking to get LR3 sometime this year, but for now i think DPP suits my level of skill/comfort with pictures and PP

If you're getting comfortable with DPP, you will have no problem getting comfortable with Lightroom. The way it is set up it will make your workflow easier. Making adjustments/correction​s in LR is IMHO easier than DPP. Everything is laid out right there in front of you in the order you should work with it all.
http://tv.adobe.com/sh​ow/learn-lightroom-3/ (external link)

Tim Kerr

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 15, 2011 10:36 |  #8

from what i understand, LR3 is a much much more powerful tool, with tools such as dodge/burn, etc.... until i become comfortable with PP in general, i think it would be a bit over my head. even the stuff i do in DPP is more or less simple - i dont even touch the curves.

until i do, i best not confuse myself with LR. im sure ill have many more questions once i make the switch :P

as a side note... can LR3 process CanonRAW? or do i need to pass thru DPP and then work on them in LR?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,256 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 15, 2011 12:56 |  #9

If I need anything more than global general PP like dodging, cloning, etc I will use PS after converting from DPP to a TIFF. If global for mass output DPP to Jpeg.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 15, 2011 14:43 |  #10

ekinnyc wrote in post #12597660 (external link)
can LR3 process CanonRAW?

Yes.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 15, 2011 15:24 |  #11

ekinnyc wrote in post #12597660 (external link)
from what i understand, LR3 is a much much more powerful tool, with tools such as dodge/burn, etc.... until i become comfortable with PP in general, i think it would be a bit over my head. even the stuff i do in DPP is more or less simple - i dont even touch the curves.

until i do, i best not confuse myself with LR. im sure ill have many more questions once i make the switch :P

as a side note... can LR3 process CanonRAW? or do i need to pass thru DPP and then work on them in LR?

Yes LR3 is more powerful than DPP, and yes it does process Raw Files. As far as it being any more or less confusing that DPP, IMHO, LR is less confusing because the way it is all laid out for you.

You can always download the 30 day free trial and give it a try.
https://www.adobe.com …oduct=photoshop​_lightroom (external link)

Tim Kerr

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 15, 2011 20:53 |  #12

Compared to LR, dpp is like using windows paint.

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 15, 2011 21:03 |  #13

I think you are a candidate for LR. Download the trial and give it a try. Copy those pics into another folder and try Lightroom out.

I use it for general auto tone, batch settings like cropping, sharpening, noise reduction, saturation and more. I always go back through them individually and adjust whatever is needed. Much faster than my old work flow. I have used the Clone/heal tool to remove an extra softball in the background while shooting the pitcher warming up.

I shoot a lot of RAW, especially basketball using the strobes. Easy to adjust the white balance.

I think you will like it.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 17, 2011 09:29 |  #14

i downloaded LR3 last night, and so far im quite impressed. alot of the tools are similar to DPP, but i love the ability to make fine adjustments ie sharpness in just one area of the image.

couple of questions (so far):

1. how do you make global adjustments? as suggested by tkerr and rene damkot, in DPP i can select all and use tool palette. what about in LR?

2. how do you adjust something for a whole image? i was looking to adjust sharpness, and it gave me the sharpness brush - do i have to paint the whole image, or is there a better/easier way?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 17, 2011 09:39 |  #15

ekinnyc wrote in post #12609355 (external link)
i downloaded LR3 last night, and so far im quite impressed. alot of the tools are similar to DPP, but i love the ability to make fine adjustments ie sharpness in just one area of the image.

couple of questions (so far):

1. how do you make global adjustments? as suggested by tkerr and rene damkot, in DPP i can select all and use tool palette. what about in LR?

In Lightroom you select all the images just like you would with DPP, and then click the "Sync" Icon.

ekinnyc wrote in post #12609355 (external link)
2. how do you adjust something for a whole image? i was looking to adjust sharpness, and it gave me the sharpness brush - do i have to paint the whole image, or is there a better/easier way?

You've somehow got the adjustment brush enabled. At he top just under the histogram you need to turn it off. Clicking the icon on the right enables or disables the adjustment brush. With it disabled all your adjustments will be global.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Tim Kerr

sponsored links

3,698 views & 0 likes for this thread
whats your post-process process?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.