Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 14 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 10:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

whats your post-process process?

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 17, 2011 09:42 |  #16

Adobe TV video tutorials for Lightroom
http://tv.adobe.com …w-to/lightroom-tutorials/ (external link)

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

sponsored links
MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 17, 2011 12:08 |  #17

ekinnyc wrote in post #12609355 (external link)
i downloaded LR3 last night, and so far im quite impressed. alot of the tools are similar to DPP, but i love the ability to make fine adjustments ie sharpness in just one area of the image.

couple of questions (so far):

1. how do you make global adjustments? as suggested by tkerr and rene damkot, in DPP i can select all and use tool palette. what about in LR?

Select only one image. Make your adjustments to it such as crop, exposure, sharpness, noise reduction, etc. Then select all of the images and click "Sync". Check the boxes of the adjustments you want to make. Click OK. All of the images will be adjusted in the blink of an eye. You can then adjust them individually as you see fit.

2. how do you adjust something for a whole image? i was looking to adjust sharpness, and it gave me the sharpness brush - do i have to paint the whole image, or is there a better/easier way?

I always use the sharpness slider. Never have tried to sharpen part of an image.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 17, 2011 13:19 |  #18

1. how do you make global adjustments? as suggested by tkerr and rene damkot, in DPP i can select all and use tool palette. what about in LR?

Two ways actually: You can sync, or you can select and adjust multiple images in the Library module.
One is absolute, the other relative:
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=12304572#po​st12304572

2. how do you adjust something for a whole image? i was looking to adjust sharpness, and it gave me the sharpness brush - do i have to paint the whole image, or is there a better/easier way?

Drag the sliders in the "Develop" module.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 17, 2011 14:43 |  #19

tkerr wrote in post #12609449 (external link)
Adobe TV video tutorials for Lightroom
http://tv.adobe.com …w-to/lightroom-tutorials/ (external link)

there goes my workday :cool:

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 19, 2011 00:22 |  #20

too many adjustments in LR.

so far ive been expanding range in the histogram, dropping brightness, doing lens correction/NR/sharpeni​ng, and tweaking saturation here and there. its a slow process, no way can i do it for 350+ pics. uhhhh, need to get the kelby book

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 19, 2011 08:54 |  #21

ekinnyc wrote in post #12618349 (external link)
too many adjustments in LR.

so far ive been expanding range in the histogram, dropping brightness, doing lens correction/NR/sharpeni​ng, and tweaking saturation here and there. its a slow process, no way can i do it for 350+ pics. uhhhh, need to get the kelby book

If you're certain that some of them adjustments can be applied the same to a group or all the images you can "Sync". When you make adjustments to one image, Select all the images you want to apply those changes to and then click "Sync". That will open up another dialog box so you can pick and choose exactly which changes you want to synchronize.

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 19, 2011 10:56 |  #22

yup, i was able to do this for stuff like lens correction, sharpening, and NR, but the rest is tedious... oyyyy. guess i need to learn to nail exposure at the time i take the shot :P

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 21, 2011 15:06 |  #23

curious.... when i use DPP to export JPEGs @ quality 8, i get files that are around 6-7MB in size (full 18mp). when i export the same files in LR3 @ quality 80, files are around 3MB.....

is the compression algorithm in LR3 that much better? where am i losing 50% of the file size relative to DPP?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 22, 2011 01:50 |  #24

Yes, there are different processes. Compare for yourself if you prefer one above the other. Also, "8" does not equal "80"...as I said, judge for yourself!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 22, 2011 06:56 |  #25

but i thought that dpp cannot read metadata lr3?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

iadubber
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 22, 2011 07:53 |  #26

An easy way to make it faster is be very judicious at cutting down your 400 to half or less. There's no reason for a third photog to have 400 images. Cut it down to the best and apply your best PP skills to those.

Buyer/Seller Feedback
Flickr (external link)

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 22, 2011 08:48 |  #27

i tried..... i think i managed to chop it to something like 300. most of the shots were stuff that the photogs wouldnt have gotten - the groomsmen getting ready (of which i was one, so there was actually a 4th shooter haha), just hanging waiting while the photogs were taking shots of just the bride and groom, and then the dinner after (when the photog finished his stuff). i wish i had to PP less!!!! lol

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 22, 2011 10:28 |  #28

ekinnyc wrote in post #12638226 (external link)
i tried..... i think i managed to chop it to something like 300. most of the shots were stuff that the photogs wouldnt have gotten - the groomsmen getting ready (of which i was one, so there was actually a 4th shooter haha), just hanging waiting while the photogs were taking shots of just the bride and groom, and then the dinner after (when the photog finished his stuff). i wish i had to PP less!!!! lol

It's good real world "working" practice of pp. I'm sure the newlyweds will appreciate your gift in the end. ;)

| Canon EOS Systems |

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 22, 2011 10:48 |  #29

lol yeah. they opted for just an album + prints on a limited number of pics and did not pay the photog for the full set of originals (i think it was around $4000 for all the pictures + rights), so i got a bunch of people hounding me for pics. i am quite happy to provide, and definitely appreciate the practice. should have the full license of LR3 coming this weekend, plus scott kelby's book

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

iadubber
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 22, 2011 10:50 |  #30

ekinnyc wrote in post #12638862 (external link)
should have the full license of LR3 coming this weekend

One of the best investments I've made.

Buyer/Seller Feedback
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,907 views & 0 likes for this thread
whats your post-process process?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.