Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 16:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC OS – Your views please

Trugga
652 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 14, 2011 16:34 |  #1

I am contemplating buying this lens and although I’ve read a few reviews on POTN, I would still appreciated a little more information relative to this potential purchase.

About me: In the 80’s I had a Canon AE-1 (motor wind, flash, a Canon 50 and Vivitar 100-200), which was mostly used to photograph motor sport events and for holiday snaps. I later moved to an Olympus Camedia (0.85mpx), a Concord compact (5mpx) and latterly a Fuji Finepix S9600 (9mpx) bridge camera. The Fuji reawakened my interest in photography where I got a little more creative. I bought the 550d last Christmas and I find I am hooked with a new hobby.

Subject matter is still motor sport, but I do enjoy landscape, night sky and wildlife with some automotive product (components).

When I was looking to buy my first DSLR, I (like I guess many did) looked primarily at body functions; video was one of the features that drew me to the 550D (and the price). I looked at a 60D, but considered it too expensive for my needs. It is only now, that I think I was perhaps a little too hasty in selecting the kit 17-55 and the Tamron 70-300 lenses (although the latter is adequate for the time being).

I’m considering the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC OS (external link) for the following reasons:

• It will replace the 18-55 and give a little more reach before switching the Tamron
  • Being f2.8-4 will hopefully allow me to be a little more creative
  • I am hoping it has a greater IQ than the Canon kit lens.
  • Price seems reasonable

I did briefly consider the Canon Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM at a similar price, that would give me a little overlap in reach, but thought a 2.8-4 would be better than the 4-5.6 would suit me better. Similarly, I considered the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG HSM to be out of my price bracket.

Filters

There are a few threads here regarding filters, specifically putting cheap CPLand ND’s in front of good glass. If I’m going to spend the money on a proper lens, I really ought to buy some proper filters:

Previously, I bought a cheap ebay CPL and a set of cheap ND’s (2,4 & 8) from ebay – they have proved to me that I can use them creatively, so thought I better get some proper ones for the new lens.

Your comments on my thinking/choice would be appreciated along with any experience of this lens, especially if you replaced your kit with this one.

Oh, also, am I right in thinking that the front of this lens does not rotate on focus and zoom (I'm thinking of the rotation when using a CPL). Also, is this a twist zoom rather than a pull/push? - I question this last item as the description makes reference to a "zoom lock".

Lawrence

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 14, 2011 17:01 |  #2

I upgraded my kit lens to the 17-70 for mostly the same reasons you're considering it. Faster aperture, more range, better IQ, and very reasonable price.

I've not been disappointed with it so far, it delivers great IQ, a little bit weak on the long end, but nothing stopping down slightly won't fix. Focus is accurate but not proper HSM, so its not as fast as lenses using true ring USM/HSM.
The minimum focus distance is very useful and opens up a lot of creative options.
You are indeed correct in thinking the front does not rotate, and yes it is a twist zoom. The reason for the zoom lock is because the lens can be prone to lens creep even though it is a twist zoom. Mine started off fine, but developed zoom creep after a month or so. Sigma will fix this for free, or so I've heard, but I haven't seen the need, as it doesn't affect me at all (creep only occurs for me in the 35-55mm range and I always reset my zoom to 17mm when not using the camera).

You're on the right track about getting good quality filters. I've personally not used Hoya myself, I prefer B+W, but I hear good things about Hoya. Something you might consider doing is investing in a square filter system. This allows you to have more flexibility in the filters you use, and you can just have a different size adapter to use the filters on different lenses instead of having to buy different filters or a step up/down ring which could cause vignetting. However, square filter systems are more of a hassle to set up than the regular screw in circular filters.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

mark2009
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 14, 2011 17:24 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #3

Hi,
I can tell you my path, I went from the kit lens to a Tamron 17-50 non vc, very sharp but found it a little short for my shooting. I then bought a used minty 17-85 canon, loved the range, but images were much softer than the Tamron. I have now traded my Tamron for the Sigma 17-70(os), but have not had a chance since I just got it and I had to go away for a week, and now it is raining here. Just taking a few shots in the house, I like the feel and focus better than the Tamron, but can't give you much else at this time. Also, you might want to pick up a 55-250 canon, they are going on the cheap, and it is a very nice lens for the money. I am attaching a link for tests on filters that might help you there.

http://lenstip.com …rs_test_Introdu​ction.html (external link)

5280Pics
Goldmember
2,146 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 14, 2011 18:01 |  #4

Subscribed.

I have a trip to San Fran next month, and want to get a walk around to replace the 18-55IS. I found a used copy on my local CS but the sample pics he sent me were very soft or way OOF! So needless to say I'm kinda scared to get a bad copy! I just bought a copy of a Tammy 17-50 non-vc from a board member that also turned out to be a soft copy. I'm tired of playing lens roulette here for a good afordable walk around!

peteg1
Goldmember
1,387 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 14, 2011 20:32 as a reply to  @ 5280Pics's post |  #5

I’ve only had mine for 5 days but can’t believe how good this copy is, it went beyond my expectations. With Sigma you’re taking a chance of getting a not so good copy but when you do get a good one, its well worth the hassle.

Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

gocolts
Goldmember
1,246 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 14, 2011 21:30 |  #6

mark2009 wrote in post #12593870 (external link)
Hi,
I can tell you my path, I went from the kit lens to a Tamron 17-50 non vc, very sharp but found it a little short for my shooting. I then bought a used minty 17-85 canon, loved the range, but images were much softer than the Tamron. I have now traded my Tamron for the Sigma 17-70(os), but have not had a chance since I just got it and I had to go away for a week, and now it is raining here. Just taking a few shots in the house, I like the feel and focus better than the Tamron, but can't give you much else at this time. Also, you might want to pick up a 55-250 canon, they are going on the cheap, and it is a very nice lens for the money. I am attaching a link for tests on filters that might help you there.

http://lenstip.com …rs_test_Introdu​ction.html (external link)

I hear that lens you traded for is in great shape!! :lol:

I needed constant f/2.8 for indoor stuff, hence the trade with mark2009 for the Tamron, which I really like. However, that Sigma is solid in every way. Compare it to a 24-105 f/4L on a full frame, and you'll see how useful it can be on a crop (27-112mm), especially since it's f/2.8-f/3.5 until 50mm, and then only f/4 from 50-70mm.

For those who need that range, and want some flexability to shoot indoors and outdoors with the same lens, the 17-70 is tough to beat. So much so that if mark2009 ever decides to sell it, I'll probably want it back...;)

stealthman42
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 15, 2011 12:27 as a reply to  @ gocolts's post |  #7

I love mine! Just purchased it a week ago and will be taking some photographs in and around Duluth next week. So far it has lived up to my expectations!

boingy
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 15, 2011 14:25 |  #8

I've been eyeing out sigma's 17-70 as well...but debating that between sigma 17-50 f/2.8...

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

cormack
72 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 15, 2011 16:56 |  #9

Have been using one for over 6 months now, and I love it. Mostly. At 2.8 it is sharp in the centre, but does fade off pretty quick. At the long end you are looking around 6.3 to get a crisp photo. The lens produces nice warm colours. It vignettes a tiny bit at 17mm, but I only just noticed that today after shooting on a really bright background. It is a really small amount though, and by the time I have cropped my photos to 7*5 ratio then the vignette has gone.

The HSM is really nice. Its fast, and near silent, but as others have said it is not a true ring USM/HSM and has no FTM. This is has only been a problem for me once when I had to shoot through a window with rain falling on it. So not a massive deal, and I don't think you will miss it if you are not used to it. The OS is good. A nice 4 stops of stabalization. Works well. Does the job. Comes with a lens hood as well.

BUT, and a big but, and likely to be a one off, mine appears to have loose OS elements, (I beleive its these anyway) that effect zooming, it goes crazy in the viewfinder vibrating back and forth, and has done this once while focusing. This problem has only just happened today, and within 6months. I cant find anything about this around though, so may just be an isolated incident. Buying new from Jessops you will be fine with the warrantee. Im sure any lens has its "issues" with people.

Sum up. It is optically better than the 17-85, and tbh, using either of them at 55+ does not produce great results. At the short end, up to around the 35mm, wide open gives nice results in the centre. Stopping down 1-2/3rds of a stop makes it really nice. For the value it is fantastic value for money. Nice optics, good OS and fast HSM makes it a good buy. I would recommend it totally. For the same money I cant think of anything else that you should go for.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the aperture that this lens does, even stopping down a stop will still make it a full stop faster than the canon 17-85, which, when done makes it far better than the Canon. That was the major reason for me getting mine. Can't get enough of that "light" stuff.

7d, Sigma 17-70 OS HSM Macro, Sigma 70-200 EX HSM f2.8 mk1, Sigma 1.4 EX TC, 50mm f1.8. 430ex2
http://ryancormack.com​/photography (external link)

Trugga
THREAD ­ STARTER
652 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 15, 2011 16:57 as a reply to  @ boingy's post |  #10

Fantastic response, and exactly what I was hoping to hear (ok, read). Thank you for taking the time to post.

Sirrith - Interesting comments about the zoom lock; I'll have to watch out for creep. Good news about the non rotating front as well.

I've not found am easily accessable B&H distributor here in the UK - Jessops seems to be the biggest though, with outlets in most cities (I have three nearby) althought they do offer a medium price home brand and the Hoya range of filters. I had thought of the square filter system (used to have a reasonable Cokin set on the AE-1), but am persuaded with the simplicity of screw in's.

mark2009 - Interesting story in that you have tried those similar lenses but now have the Sigma - I hope it works out for you as indeed for myself as well. For the time being, I'll be sticking with the Tamron 70-300.

5280Pics - You've got me a little worried now, what if I end up with a "soft" copy ? How will I know ? I've decided to order it from a shop (rather than through the post) so at least I can return it to a person if it needs to be replaced.

peteg1 - another "soft" comment - I do hope I get a "hard" one :)

gocolts - All encouraging comments.

stealthman42 - I hope our expectations are similar - again, encouraging.

boingy - from my research, the 17-70 seems to be a popular choice. I dismissed the f2.8 as too expencive and wanted to replace 17-50 kit with something a little longer (to fill the gap I have) and a little better.

Again, than you all.

I'll be off to Jessops on Friday to order the lens and filters (they don't hold them in stock). Hopefuly I won't have to wait too long to return to collect them.

Many thanks
Lawrence

Trugga
THREAD ­ STARTER
652 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 15, 2011 17:01 as a reply to  @ Trugga's post |  #11

...and cormack - excellent information, although i'm sorry to hear about the loose lens.

Lawrence

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 15, 2011 17:07 |  #12

Try Amazon for B+W, or alternatively if you don't mind buying from overseas, try digitalrev.com, they're a reputable online etailer based in Hong Kong, but deal almost exclusively with UK customers and have excellent service and prices compared to the UK. However, Hoya are probably just as good, I just prefer the B+W name and reputation. Just make sure if you do get Hoya, its either the HD series or the S-HMC series. Don't bother with anything less. And for B+W it has to be the filters with MRC.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

frontier2005
102 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 16, 2011 13:48 |  #13

sold mine and got myself a 24-70L 2.8

Canon 7D,135L , Canon 40mm 2.8,

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 16, 2011 14:00 |  #14

frontier2005 wrote in post #12604804 (external link)
sold mine and got myself a 24-70L 2.8

Fascinating.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

Trugga
THREAD ­ STARTER
652 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 29, 2011 14:21 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #15

Had a phone call yesterday afternoon so went to collect my new lens this lunch time:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i243.photobucke​t.com …bucket/canon/IM​G_1674.jpg (external link)

Sigma 17-70, Hoya CPL and Hoya ND4

The following are to assist others who might be considering the same path:

http://i243.photobucke​t.com …bucket/canon/IM​G_1642.jpg (external link)

The Canon 18-55 kit lens and the Sigma 17-70

http://i243.photobucke​t.com …bucket/canon/IM​G_1645.jpg (external link)

Sigma at 17mm

http://i243.photobucke​t.com …bucket/canon/IM​G_1646.jpg (external link)

Sigma at 70mm

http://i243.photobucke​t.com …ucket/canon/WP_​000378.jpg (external link)

Gripped 550D with 18-55 kit lens (and aftermarket hood)

http://i243.photobucke​t.com …ucket/canon/WP_​000377.jpg (external link)

Gripped 550D withSigma 17-70 and Sigma hood

First impressions are that it is heavy, and large in diameter (not in a negative way, but observational)

The zoom lock only appears to lock in the "closed" position (perhaps for transport)

Zoom is smooth, although manual focus appears a little easy (little resistance)

I'm happy, and looking forward to testing it this weekend.

Now to read through the manual...

Lawrence

sponsored links

8,906 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC OS – Your views please
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.