Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 15 Jun 2011 (Wednesday) 15:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM AF Lens For Canon $399 @ Abes of Maine

derekabraham
423 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 16, 2011 14:18 |  #16

So tempting. If I hadn't just bought the 50 f/1.4 I'd be buying this right now.......

6D
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
richierich1212
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 16, 2011 14:32 |  #17

lol yup my math was off, sorry. There was an additional $15 coupon that worked yesterday.

Gearlist ยท Feedback

coldcuts113
930 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 16, 2011 23:02 |  #18

It's now $414 when I use the Loyalty15 code. Yesterday, it was $399.

Nikon D4, Sony RX10, Sony RX100.
Past Gear: (most recently) 5D3, L's, etc.

CronoDL
352 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 21, 2011 16:28 |  #19

I bought two lenses last Thursday when the website said they were both available. I received a call that afternoon to "confirm" my order and maybe try to sell me a cheap filter.

I tried to reach customer service yesterday (Monday) because I haven't had any shipping updates. I waited for 30 minutes while at work until I gave up. I called them again today, and after 20 minutes someone finally answered. He said that the lenses are backordered, and the reason why they were listed as available online was because they had a problem with the system. He said that stock should arrive this Friday. I'll take that with a grain of salt.

I also mentioned my wait time on the phone and he said that I shouldn't have waited at all because no lines were ringing.

What irks me is that I had no notification of the items being backordered. And what's worse is that my credit card has already been fully charged.

Now that I think about it, if I get a dud copy, I'm not sure I can stand going through a return and exchange process with these guys. I might just cancel the order and spend more money at B&H or some other retailer I can trust.

Danny
Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,228 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 22, 2011 09:34 |  #20

I placed an order with them for my D7000 back in mid Jan. It was cheapest because I had $25 off coupon. When I placed order, it said orders would ship end of Jan. Jan came and gone. Shipping on the site changed to Feb. Feb came and gone. I had a friend place a order in September when it was announced and still hadn't received his. But of course, the D7000 at the time was backordered everywhere.

I remember them charging my card but I dont remember if it was refunded automatically (charged as a placeholder) or I requested a refund.

But yea, the stock arriving is never accurate. It can be a guesstimate but after I cancelled my order, I ordered my camera and my friends from ABT. At least they were able to tell me when they would be getting stock by looking at their shipment tracking and manifest.

Canon :: R6 | RP | 5D Mark IV
Glass :: RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS | RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM | EF 16-35 f2.8L II | EF 70-200 f2.8L III | EF 24-70 f2.8L II | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
FEEDBACK
FS: 3D Printed RF 35mm Lens Hood | Custom SLR M-Plate Pro, Alter RFS | SpiderHolster w/Speedbelt and Handstraps

Scrogg
30 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 23, 2011 11:04 |  #21

CronoDL wrote in post #12634176 (external link)
I bought two lenses last Thursday when the website said they were both available. I received a call that afternoon to "confirm" my order and maybe try to sell me a cheap filter.

I tried to reach customer service yesterday (Monday) because I haven't had any shipping updates. I waited for 30 minutes while at work until I gave up. I called them again today, and after 20 minutes someone finally answered. He said that the lenses are backordered, and the reason why they were listed as available online was because they had a problem with the system. He said that stock should arrive this Friday. I'll take that with a grain of salt.

I also mentioned my wait time on the phone and he said that I shouldn't have waited at all because no lines were ringing.

What irks me is that I had no notification of the items being backordered. And what's worse is that my credit card has already been fully charged.

Now that I think about it, if I get a dud copy, I'm not sure I can stand going through a return and exchange process with these guys. I might just cancel the order and spend more money at B&H or some other retailer I can trust.

I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me.

I ordered on Wed the 15th, got a call on thurs morning trying to up sell filters which i declined and was cheerfully told it would ship that day. One week later still no lens so I check online and there is still no shipping date.

I call customer service and like you, waited a good 30 minutes for someone to answer and was told that it wouldn't ship until tomorrow when they got more stock in. I asked why I was told it would be shipped on the 16th and he didn't know. My card was also charged on the 16th so I'm not real happy with Abe's.

If i had received an email or something explaining the delay I wouldn't be peeved. Stuff happens, stock gets oversold, I understand, just keep me in the loop. On a positive note, he did upgrade the shipping to 3-day which I am thankful for, but next time I'll probably think twice about using Abe's.

jbgreig
91 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 23, 2011 21:59 |  #22

Scrogg wrote in post #12644803 (external link)
I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me.

I ordered on Wed the 15th, got a call on thurs morning trying to up sell filters which i declined and was cheerfully told it would ship that day. One week later still no lens so I check online and there is still no shipping date.

I call customer service and like you, waited a good 30 minutes for someone to answer and was told that it wouldn't ship until tomorrow when they got more stock in. I asked why I was told it would be shipped on the 16th and he didn't know. My card was also charged on the 16th so I'm not real happy with Abe's.

If i had received an email or something explaining the delay I wouldn't be peeved. Stuff happens, stock gets oversold, I understand, just keep me in the loop. On a positive note, he did upgrade the shipping to 3-day which I am thankful for, but next time I'll probably think twice about using Abe's.

Me too. Ordered on a whim. Now they tell me "Our Sigma rep has informed us that the unit will be here in within the next 3-5 business days. The delay was caused due to the tough situation in Japan."

And they have already charged my card. I ordered this 7 days ago. That's what I get for going with someone other than Amazon, Adorama, or B&H. I think I'll just dispute the charges and buy another lens from Amazon.

This is my ONLY bad experience in buying photo equipment, and I won't make the same mistake twice.

5D3, Gripped 7d, Gripped T1i - 70-200mm f/2.8L II, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 100-400 F/4-5.6L IS, 24-70 F/2.8 L, Sigma 30, Nifty Fifty, Gitzo 3541XLS, RRS BH-55, Gitzo GM3551, RRS-BH30, Gitzo GT1541T, S95, D10, D20, 2.0 and 1.4 Extenders, 580EX II, 600EX-RTx2, PCB Einstein x2, etc

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 24, 2011 14:43 |  #23

I ordered a Sigma 50mm 1.4 last week during the special, "1 to 3 day availability" at that time. Now a week later it's listed as "4 to 6 day availability", with my order still showing "shipped to warehouse". But of course they took the PayPal money immediately. I canceled this afternoon and will be hard pressed to use Abe's again.

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

jbgreig
91 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 24, 2011 21:30 |  #24

jrbdmb wrote in post #12651822 (external link)
I ordered a Sigma 50mm 1.4 last week during the special, "1 to 3 day availability" at that time. Now a week later it's listed as "4 to 6 day availability", with my order still showing "shipped to warehouse". But of course they took the PayPal money immediately. I canceled this afternoon and will be hard pressed to use Abe's again.

How did you cancel? Was it a painful process?

5D3, Gripped 7d, Gripped T1i - 70-200mm f/2.8L II, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 100-400 F/4-5.6L IS, 24-70 F/2.8 L, Sigma 30, Nifty Fifty, Gitzo 3541XLS, RRS BH-55, Gitzo GM3551, RRS-BH30, Gitzo GT1541T, S95, D10, D20, 2.0 and 1.4 Extenders, 580EX II, 600EX-RTx2, PCB Einstein x2, etc

CronoDL
352 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 25, 2011 12:44 |  #25

I called them to cancel my order. When I first spoke to a rep about my order, I didn't cancel because I thought that I should just wait and save a few bucks. That rep did give me his ext, so when I decided to cancel an hour later, it wasn't too hard to reach someone.

The rep's name is Frank and his extension is 241. Good luck! I'm sticking with B&H and Adorama from now. Actually, Adorama just gave me $100 store credit for the new 60D rebate even though I had bought it about two weeks before the rebates were introduced. Kudos to Adorama!

Danny
Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 25, 2011 22:41 |  #26

jrbdmb wrote in post #12651822 (external link)

In response to "was it painful", I would say Yes. Order status was updated within minutes of placing the order online. But two separate cancellation e-mails Tuesday (one to sales and one to customer service) were both ignored. Called CS Wednesday, and the rep assured me that a large shipment was due within a day, so I did not force the issue at that time. When it was obvious there was no "large shipment" of lenses coming in by Friday I called CS again, cancelled the order, and got a cancellation number. But the online status still says "sent to warehouse." And of course they still have my money.

I guess I'll be making more calls Sunday or Monday to make sure the order isn't sent - no way in he** I'll take the lens at this point.

Edit - Money taken within minutes of the order. Five days after order cancellation and still no credit. I'll wait until a week has passed and then open a PayPal dispute for the refund. :confused:

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

HelenOster
That's me!
4,560 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 26, 2011 04:03 |  #27

CronoDL wrote in post #12655875 (external link)
........Adorama just gave me $100 store credit for the new 60D rebate even though I had bought it about two weeks before the rebates were introduced. Kudos to Adorama!

Thank you! It's always good to hear when the Adorama CS team go the extra mile for customers :D

AsiaSF
97 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 27, 2011 11:42 as a reply to  @ HelenOster's post |  #28

Has anyone got their 50mm shipped ?

bongEstrella
602 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 27, 2011 13:26 |  #29

HelenOster wrote in post #12658951 (external link)
Thank you! It's always good to hear when the Adorama CS team go the extra mile for customers :D

Helen do you have some sort of "Adorama autosearch" whenever you login to POTN? I swear whenever I read something about adorama you're always there a few posts after lol. No complaints here though, just curious :)

My Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 60d, 15-85
Feedback

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 27, 2011 14:42 as a reply to  @ bongEstrella's post |  #30

Great thing about Adorama's ordering system is that they keep you in the loop on your order status even when there're no changes. I've ordered a lens that was out of stock for ~3 weeks and got weekly notifications about the status of my order even when there were no changes to report.

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

sponsored links

3,803 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM AF Lens For Canon $399 @ Abes of Maine
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.