Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 04:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Piecing together strobist kit, how does it look?

titaniumSS
269 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 16, 2011 04:45 |  #1

RF-603 x2 (4 receivers total)
(http://www.amazon.com …?ie=UTF8&m=A14B​YA46AJO8R3 (external link))

YN-560 x2 (holding off for a 3 light setup until I get comfortable with 2 again)

44" White Satin Umbrella with Removable Black Cover x2

Photoflex Light and Umbrella Shoe Mount Clamp x2
(http://www.amazon.com …?ie=UTF8&m=A17M​C6HOH9AVE6 (external link))

Cowboy Studio Top Quality Aluminum Adjustable Light Stand with Case-2 Stands and Cases
(http://www.amazon.com …1?ie=UTF8&m=ATV​PDKIKX0DER (external link))

And last but not least...
Rosco The Strobist Collection, Strobist 55 Piece Cinegel Filter Kit
(http://www.amazon.com …?ie=UTF8&m=A2LX​BKOLL3J3K6 (external link))

I'm ordering these through Amazon because my student email gets me Amazon Prime so I get free 2 day shipping on everything (except the mounts/adaptors).

I'm going for a cheap strobist kit to fit into occasional senior portrait type shots in the outdoors. If there are any alternatives that you would recommend instead, then feel free to add in anything and take out whatever! Thanks in advance guys. Last time I went way too pricey and I don't have that budget again.

-Erik
Canon EOS R, Canon 6D gripped, Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM v1, Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM, YN560 IV x2, YN560-TX.

flickr (external link)

Blackey ­ Cole
480 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 16, 2011 05:32 |  #2

Mid West Photo has bundled kits with everything that you need in them that was basically built by the Strobist man himself.

Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group Today! (external link)

Gear List

titaniumSS
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 16, 2011 13:23 |  #3

All of the pre-packaged strobist kits are more than the amount in my cart. Right now my total price is $330.45 WITH free two day shipping on amazon.

For you guys using Yonguo flashes, is it really worth getting the 560 over the 460 II?

-Erik
Canon EOS R, Canon 6D gripped, Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM v1, Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM, YN560 IV x2, YN560-TX.

flickr (external link)

KaBlookie
326 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 16, 2011 14:19 |  #4

I'm right there with you with the pre-packaged kits. Given what's included, they're a pretty good deal, but you can definitely piece together a cheaper setup that would do the job perfectly fine for amateurs and hobbyists who do this kind of thing for fun, not for money.

I have been doing similarly budget-minded searching for a strobist setup, and actually picked out the same gel kit, umbrella, and flashes as you. For the stands, these ones seem to be much more sturdy (external link), can go higher (not that you'll necessarily use them at max height all the time...), and are $10 more for a pair.

As for the mount, I was trying to decide if this Manfrotto 026 mount (external link) is worth twice the price of something like the Photoflex you posted or a similar piece from CowboyStudio. Typically Cowboy products are very cheaply made and you can usually find better pieces for a bit more money, but some of their stuff is just fine for most people. I have the CBS triggers and am perfectly happy with them.

As for the 460II vs 560, there really isn't a massive difference between the two. The 560 has zoom and I believe is more powerful, whereas the 460II just costs less. I personally would stick with the 560 just in case you want to use the zoom function. They both have metal shoes, swivel/tilt, and are optical slave capable.

7D - XTi - Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 - Canon 50mm f/1.8II - SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L - Lensbaby 2.0 - Canon 430EX-II - CBS flash trigger

titaniumSS
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 16, 2011 15:03 |  #5

Thank you KaBlookie! Yeah, had Westcott 7' light stands before I changed to the current ones. Those that you linked do look better and have some better reviews. I'll be switching those out, thanks! I was weary on the Cowboystudio equipment since I usually don't cheap out on things but this time around I'd like to cheaply build up my strobist route.

-Erik

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,312 views & 0 likes for this thread
Piecing together strobist kit, how does it look?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.