Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 10:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

should i keep my tammy 17-50 non-vc?

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 16, 2011 10:52 |  #1

i have a sigma 30, a tamron 17-50 non-vc, and the canon 24-105L. i mostly use the L and love the quality and reach. f/4 is the limitation as we all know, but with a flash, its not terrible. for low light, i purchased the siggy. now, i find that my tamron is seldom used, and am wondering if i should sell it. there is alot of overlap with the 24-105, and i only get 7mm on the wide end.

sure, the tamron is faster, but i have the sigma for that. im torn between keeping the tamron and selling it (either replacing it with something else, or just pocketing the $$)

PS. ive thought about selling the 24-105 and the tammy, and buying the canon 17-55 with IS, but i love the reach on the tele side.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
thestone11
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 16, 2011 11:42 |  #2

The Tamron 17-50mm is going to give you more wide angle than the 24-105mm. If taking landscape is your thing, I will keep the tamron handy for that. Since the lens is not expensive brand new, you are not gonna get lots of money for it anyways.

Keep your 24-105mm, I will never trade my L for a EF-S lens. Just in case you are going to FF later.

Canon 5D MK II | Fuji X100 | Canon T2i | Canon 100mm macro f/2.8 | Canon 135L f/2 | Canon 50mm f/1.2 L | 17-40mm f/4 L | 24-70mm f/2.8 L | 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM |Canon 430EX II Flash X2 | Pocketwizard TT5 & TT1

GregoryF
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 16, 2011 12:17 |  #3

I pretty much have the same dilemma as you. There are times when I think the tammi will be a better choice so I am leaning towards keeping it because of the range on the wide end and the larger aperture. It is not like I have alot tied up in it. I am definetely thinking about getting rid of my other lenses that overlap my 24-105 with the exception of my primes.

6D, 5D, 7Dii, Eos R and too many lenses, flashes and aux. gear to list!:cool:
A simple hobby gone horribily wrong

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 16, 2011 12:24 |  #4

it seems that i wind up with this dilemma every 3 months or so.... and eventually convince myself to forget it.

here is the scenario that got me thinking about it: i was a shooter at a friend's wedding - they hired the pro only for before/during the ceremony. the after-ceremony dinner was all in my hands. i knew the place would be dimly lit, so i left the 24-105 at home, and took the tammy and my flash.

in that case, the tammy came in useful. however, some of the shots werent fantastic - lack of IS i suppose, even with flash. so that got me thinking if i should have just taken the 30mm, with the extra few stops, and used foot zoom. but then, what would i have used the tammy for?

thats why i am a bit ambivalent about keeping it. i prob wouldnt get much more than $300 or so for it, but i can use that toward another lens.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

thestone11
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 16, 2011 13:01 |  #5

ekinnyc wrote in post #12604372 (external link)
it seems that i wind up with this dilemma every 3 months or so.... and eventually convince myself to forget it.

here is the scenario that got me thinking about it: i was a shooter at a friend's wedding - they hired the pro only for before/during the ceremony. the after-ceremony dinner was all in my hands. i knew the place would be dimly lit, so i left the 24-105 at home, and took the tammy and my flash.

in that case, the tammy came in useful. however, some of the shots werent fantastic - lack of IS i suppose, even with flash. so that got me thinking if i should have just taken the 30mm, with the extra few stops, and used foot zoom. but then, what would i have used the tammy for?

thats why i am a bit ambivalent about keeping it. i prob wouldnt get much more than $300 or so for it, but i can use that toward another lens.

What are the shots look like? Blurry? IS has less effect on a fast lens like that, even on low light. My previous 17-50mm performed well under those situation when shooting wide open. And since you have a flash, that would only be better. You are right about selling it and use the money towards other lens....but what are you gonna get later? Perhaps a wide angle, a 10-20mm to sub the tamron on the wide angle side?

Canon 5D MK II | Fuji X100 | Canon T2i | Canon 100mm macro f/2.8 | Canon 135L f/2 | Canon 50mm f/1.2 L | 17-40mm f/4 L | 24-70mm f/2.8 L | 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM |Canon 430EX II Flash X2 | Pocketwizard TT5 & TT1

GregoryF
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 16, 2011 13:05 |  #6

Looking at your gear list, you will not have anything wider than 24mm. If you are fine with that, then sell the Tammi and maybe look at something longer than 105mm? Or sell the tammi and purchase an UWA if you need wider than 24mm. I don't know what your shooting reqirements are. I do alot of landscape and nature, so I need both wider and longer at times.

bongEstrella
602 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 16, 2011 13:36 |  #7

You can sell your Tammy and get an UWA. So at least it has less/no overlap with your 24-105.

My Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 60d, 15-85
Feedback

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 16, 2011 14:02 |  #8

thestone11 wrote in post #12604565 (external link)
What are the shots look like? Blurry? IS has less effect on a fast lens like that, even on low light. My previous 17-50mm performed well under those situation when shooting wide open. And since you have a flash, that would only be better. You are right about selling it and use the money towards other lens....but what are you gonna get later? Perhaps a wide angle, a 10-20mm to sub the tamron on the wide angle side?

ill have to post up an example.... some blur, yes, but thats subject movement (it was a wedding and everyone was excited). but there was also something else, something i cant explain. it looked like really bad CA, but not really CA.

thats the thing - i dont know what i'd get... i have no use for a UWA really, and the 24mm suits my shooting fine. i thought about grabbing a 70-200, but dotn really have use for it either. i suppose the $ from the tammy sale would just be money in the pocket, but not even all that much at that

i dont want to sound like im hating on the tammy.... at the same event, with slightly better lighting, it got me some amazing shots. i didnt want to turn this thread into a discussion on the merits of the lens - i am just concerned that i dont use it that often, so perhaps its best to sell it

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

GregoryF
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 16, 2011 14:12 |  #9

In that case sell it.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 16, 2011 14:46 |  #10

ekinnyc wrote in post #12604870 (external link)
ill have to post up an example.... some blur, yes, but thats subject movement (it was a wedding and everyone was excited). but there was also something else, something i cant explain. it looked like really bad CA, but not really CA.

thats the thing - i dont know what i'd get... i have no use for a UWA really, and the 24mm suits my shooting fine. i thought about grabbing a 70-200, but dotn really have use for it either. i suppose the $ from the tammy sale would just be money in the pocket, but not even all that much at that
i dont want to sound like im hating on the tammy.... at the same event, with slightly better lighting, it got me some amazing shots. i didnt want to turn this thread into a discussion on the merits of the lens - i am just concerned that i dont use it that often, so perhaps its best to sell it

yes, post an example. I don't see the need for even having a prime like the Sigma 30 because the Tamron is good indoors. if it's really dark I'll use a flash

XSi and Tamron 17-50 2.8 non-vc
look ma, no flash!

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2434/5744094361_4040ec4364_b.jpg

kwando
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 16, 2011 15:32 |  #11

i have the 17-50 non vc and a 24-105 as well. for indoors i use the tammy, outside for walking around i use the 24-105

~Simon~
My Gear | My Feedback | Smugmug (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1213134

artyH
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 16, 2011 15:56 |  #12

The 24mm end of the Canon zoom is not wide enough (on a crop) for travel photography if you are interested in architecture or other unusual sights. I have used the kit lens for travel (18-55IS), but just picked up the Tokina 12-24 for that very purpose. Sometimes you need wider than 18mm on the T2i. If you don't need wide - ever - then there is no reason to keep the 17-50. However, you won't have a wide angle lens if you get rid of the Tamron. The longer Canon zoom does not really have a wide end, and 30mm gives you a field of view that is normal on a crop.

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 16, 2011 16:16 |  #13

ekinnyc wrote in post #12603893 (external link)
i have a sigma 30, a tamron 17-50 non-vc, and the canon 24-105L. i mostly use the L and love the quality and reach. f/4 is the limitation as we all know, but with a flash, its not terrible. for low light, i purchased the siggy. now, i find that my tamron is seldom used, and am wondering if i should sell it. there is alot of overlap with the 24-105, and i only get 7mm on the wide end.

sure, the tamron is faster, but i have the sigma for that. im torn between keeping the tamron and selling it (either replacing it with something else, or just pocketing the $$)

PS. ive thought about selling the 24-105 and the tammy, and buying the canon 17-55 with IS, but i love the reach on the tele side.

personally i'd sell the 24-105L hah. my tamron was sharper, lighter, went wider, only thing it lacked, for me, was IS

GregoryF
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 16, 2011 16:20 |  #14

wombatHorror wrote in post #12605571 (external link)
personally i'd sell the 24-105L hah. my tamron was sharper, lighter, went wider, only thing it lacked, for me, was IS

and 51mm-105mm. Seems to be missing a bit. I have the Tammi and the 24-105l; if I had to give one up, it would not be the Canon! I also prefer the overall picture quality of the L as well. Like the tammi,but LOVE THE L! :D

CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 16, 2011 16:30 |  #15

wombatHorror wrote in post #12605571 (external link)

My thoughts also ;)

Hi

sponsored links

2,435 views & 0 likes for this thread
should i keep my tammy 17-50 non-vc?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.