Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 17 Jun 2011 (Friday) 09:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

post-processing - tablet or mouse?

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 17, 2011 09:25 |  #1

thanks to a few individuals on here, i downloaded a trial of LR3, and almost immediately fell in love with it. i am still catching my bearings, and alot of the things it can do, i can do in DPP, but there is so much more available in terms of fine adjustments. i think i will be purchasing the full version (hopefully the student discount applies to grad school students as well :p )

that being said, i do my PP on my 13" macbook. as much as i love the multitouch trackpad, it doesnt offer super-fine control. this got me thinking about getting some sort of precision input device. lookign on amazon, i can pick up a microsoft 5000 laser mouse for about $40, and my local craigslist has a wacom bamboo pen & touch in excellent condition for roughly the same amount.

in both cases the input device would be used mainly for PP, as i am quite happy to use the trackpad for general use. the mouse is wireless/bluetooth, whereas the tablet is not (i prefer to keep my table neat). which one would the public recommend to go with?

its pretty much the same $$$, so it really comes down to which is more versatile:

mouse: more applicable for general use, no cord
tablet: more precision, long cord, takes up alot of space

on a side note... can anyone who has the wacom bamboo pen (and/or pen+touch) comment on how well it works and how it fits into the workflow?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
tricky500
424 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 17, 2011 09:51 |  #2

I owned the 12 " cintiq and traded it for a 70-200 f4 usm. It isn't really worth it IMO unless you are a serious sketch artist. The only time I used it would be for extensive dodge and burning. My deskspace didn't really allow for the necessary space needed for it and using it in my lap would hurt my neck and back like no other. Can't comment on the bamboo though..

- Paul

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 17, 2011 13:16 |  #3

I just use the Wacom for brushing in LR. Rest is done by either keyboard shortcuts or hovering over a slider and pressing up/down keys.
I don't like the Wacom for that.

So I guess it depends on how you work: If you drag sliders, that works okay with the Wacom.

In PS, I use the Wacom exclusively.
YMMV.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

TheLostVertex
520 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 17, 2011 13:53 |  #4

I use my tablet in LR for adjustment brushes and spot removal. Its not really very useful for moving sliders around. I disagree with Rene on 'if you drag sliders' since the release when using tablets is slightly inaccurate. You may nail the value, then begin to lift and it will move off just slightly. So unless you are really use to using a tablet that will happen alot.

In photoshop I use my wacom for everything.

Steven R.
Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 17, 2011 15:19 |  #5

René Damkot wrote in post #12610504 (external link)
I just use the Wacom for brushing in LR. Rest is done by either keyboard shortcuts or hovering over a slider and pressing up/down keys.
I don't like the Wacom for that.

So I guess it depends on how you work: If you drag sliders, that works okay with the Wacom.

In PS, I use the Wacom exclusively.
YMMV.

I use a Wacom Intuos4 that has both the pen and mouse. The pen sure does make a lot of things much easier, once you get familiar and comfortable with it. Especially brushing and precise selections.

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 17, 2011 18:24 |  #6

TheLostVertex wrote in post #12610690 (external link)
So unless you are really use to using a tablet that will happen alot.

Good point. :)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

dmwphoto
460 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 17, 2011 18:29 |  #7

could not do computing in any form without my wacom

Dave Watts
dmwphoto.smugmug.com (external link)

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 17, 2011 21:47 |  #8

LR = mouse
PS = tablet

Portfolio - Fashion/Beauty (external link)
Portfolio - Kids (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 17, 2011 22:02 |  #9

Wacom Intuos 4 8x12 for me. Never used a mouse ever again other then for web browsing and general OS thing. But you will need to get around the little learning curve of the tablet before you will fall in love with it. It took me about 2 weeks of constant use to give up my mouse. But once you get the hang of things you will zip threw post processing.

Sevan

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 18, 2011 10:06 |  #10

mouse it is. thanks all. wont be using PS, and after playing with LR a bit more, i can see that a tablet would only really come in handy in small set of PP

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 18, 2011 10:45 |  #11

TheLostVertex wrote in post #12610690 (external link)
I use my tablet in LR for adjustment brushes and spot removal. Its not really very useful for moving sliders around. I disagree with Rene on 'if you drag sliders' since the release when using tablets is slightly inaccurate. You may nail the value, then begin to lift and it will move off just slightly. So unless you are really use to using a tablet that will happen alot.

Set up one of the Express Keys for Precision Mode and set it to ultra-fine, And then when you move a slider hold down the Precision Mode Express Key before you lift the pen and that won't happen.

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

sponsored links

1,419 views & 0 likes for this thread
post-processing - tablet or mouse?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.