Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 21 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Plenoptic camera?

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 22, 2011 19:35 as a reply to  @ post 12637956 |  #46

Not particularly interesting... Does too much for the photographer. Why not just create a camera that generates images for you without you having to go out and take them while you're at it? Oh wait...

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

sponsored links
KuroHouou
114 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 22, 2011 23:05 as a reply to  @ post 12637956 |  #47

This is game changing IMO. No more out of focus or wrong focus point shots. Get the perfect shot in every shot. Will be very enteresting how well this works in the real world but it sounds amazing right now. I see wedding/sport photographers loving it. Portraits where you have more time to adjust maybe not so much but still just the option to change the focus to anything is just crazy. It's the biggest camera break through since digital IMO.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 22, 2011 23:20 as a reply to  @ post 12637956 |  #48

Anyone care to try and explain how this works if you're shooting sports at say, 1/4000 @ f/2.8?

There was another example linked which showed a mother behind a baby and while you could float the plane of focus to a significant degree, you could not get the mother's face as sharp as the baby's face at all.

I can't see this working without max depth of field and therefore, slow-ish shutter speeds.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

focus.pocus
Goldmember
3,423 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 22, 2011 23:25 as a reply to  @ post 12637956 |  #49

has no one noticed that NEW members keep posting this article??? can we say self promotion & SPAM????

I know, right? I'm just sayin'...

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 22, 2011 23:31 |  #50

focus.pocus wrote in post #12642737 (external link)
has no one noticed that NEW members keep posting this article??? can we say self promotion & SPAM????

Happens frequently around here. Newbies are sure they've stumbled across something that nobody else has seen and rush to "scoop" everyone else.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

SimpleJack
839 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 23, 2011 06:58 as a reply to  @ post 12637956 |  #51

$300 or $3,000 ? Some details would be nice.. Next couple months or next year.. Fail to give info, I fail to even care..

Canon PowerShot S100

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 23, 2011 07:00 as a reply to  @ post 12640070 |  #52

couldn't just set a very small aperture and do this in post?

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

Kiwikat
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 23, 2011 07:13 as a reply to  @ post 12637956 |  #53

The main problem I saw is that you don't really have that much control. It almost felt like there were click zones, rather than complete control. A subtle change didn't move the focus for me. Who knows, maybe I just don't know how to use a mouse and click with it... :p

"Would you really want to be the Canon rep responsible for dealing with POTN?" -FlyingPhotog
Nikon D500

squashed
Goldmember
4,273 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 23, 2011 07:16 as a reply to  @ post 12637956 |  #54

I did notice that.

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 23, 2011 07:22 as a reply to  @ post 12640070 |  #55

Playing on their website...if that is 100% representative of what the camera can do, WOW, that pretty much revolutionizes photography as we know it. Right now it's vaporware though. It looks to me that just as our cameras take pictures in RAW with +- EV, this does the same for focus data by recording data in a 3D matrix ("light field") instead of just a 2D plane.

Very, very cool. The first DSLR manufacturer that either licenses this tech or creates their own version will have a compelling product right away.

http://www.lytro.com/p​icture_gallery (external link)

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 23, 2011 07:22 |  #56

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12642714 (external link)
Anyone care to try and explain how this works if you're shooting sports at say, 1/4000 @ f/2.8?

There was another example linked which showed a mother behind a baby and while you could float the plane of focus to a significant degree, you could not get the mother's face as sharp as the baby's face at all.

I can't see this working without max depth of field and therefore, slow-ish shutter speeds.

It won't work for sports, the inventor says that it doesn't give good results with moving subjects "moving objects will cause sloppy source imagery and difficult to correct blurring in your final lenticular image".

I also agree with your comment about max depth of field. The lenticular image is, effectively, several images recorded at the same time, with different focus. So, the corrections are stepped and not infinitely variable. This will work ok on a point and shoot, with a small sensor and deep DoF, so that the DoF of adjacent steps will overlap, but on a DSLR with it's much shallower DoF? I can't see there being enough variants stored to enable the precise positioning of the focus that we require, particularly when shooting wide open for subject separation. I mean, look at all the people who worry about half an inch of front or back focusing.

Probably a nice USP for a compact, but not going to impact DSLRs for a long time to come.

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,547 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Jun 23, 2011 07:24 as a reply to  @ post 12637956 |  #57

Hrmmm...I don't have a lot of OOF shots lying around. That's what the AF sensor on the camera is for. This is an attempt to turn photography into some spray-and-pray foolishness, isn't it?

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,288 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 23, 2011 08:01 |  #58

sandpiper wrote in post #12643906 (external link)
.. The lenticular image is, effectively, several images recorded at the same time, with different focus. So, the corrections are stepped and not infinitely variable. This will work ok on a point and shoot, with a small sensor and deep DoF, so that the DoF of adjacent steps will overlap, but on a DSLR with it's much shallower DoF? I can't see there being enough variants stored to enable the precise positioning of the focus that we require, particularly when shooting wide open for subject separation. ....

That assumes that all the camera is doing is focus stacking with a single lens the way it is done today. From what I understand, that is not how this is works and I'm thinking that this would work in a SLR as well after reading up a bit (external link).

This is a plenoptic camera (external link) and it not only is capable of recording the intensity of the light but via an array of micro lenses over the sensor, the direction as well. The image is then generated via some heavy duty processing. So in essence an infinite number in interim steps are generated.

The more I'm reading, the more I wish that they had gone the license route. This could really be interesting.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

ukcyberboy
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 23, 2011 08:10 as a reply to  @ Keyan's post |  #59

Sounds interesting, but it wont be long before we just send the camera out for a walk and sit by the fire with a beer or two. :lol:

Body | Canon 6D |
Lens | Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 |
Lens | Canon 28-70 2.8 L |
Lens | Canon 70-200is F4 L |
Lighting | Yongnuo YN600RX |
Accessories | Various Bits |‚Äč

Yno
863 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 23, 2011 08:17 as a reply to  @ ukcyberboy's post |  #60

There was a comment in one of the articles I read that said the resolution may not be so high (yet). I know this is not the fate of most digital photos, but I wonder how they will print. And do any serious photographers want people messing with their carefully thought out compositions? I don't see it going mainstream for a few years, but it certainly is interesting. By the way, the Lytro office is just a mile away from where I work - I might have to go check it out!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

sponsored links

13,729 views & 0 likes for this thread
Plenoptic camera?
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.