Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 21 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Plenoptic camera?

katodog
Goldmember
4,193 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 23, 2011 08:19 as a reply to  @ post 12640070 |  #61

Not impressed. Programs like Focus Magic do the same thing, and when you create sharpening or focus with software you will not get the same detail and clarity as you would by getting the focus right in-camera.

This is basically a camera with built-in Focus Magic-type software, and the resulting images will never be as good as proper focus.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

sponsored links
gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,284 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 23, 2011 08:26 as a reply to  @ post 12637956 |  #62

BTW, for those that enjoy all the gory details, this paper pretty much lays it all out.
http://graphics.stanfo​rd.edu …amera/lfcamera-150dpi.pdf (external link)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,905 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 23, 2011 08:35 |  #63

gjl711 wrote in post #12644000 (external link)
That assumes that all the camera is doing is focus stacking with a single lens the way it is done today. From what I understand, that is not how this is works and I'm thinking that this would work in a SLR as well after reading up a bit (external link).

This is a plenoptic camera (external link) and it not only is capable of recording the intensity of the light but via an array of micro lenses over the sensor, the direction as well. The image is then generated via some heavy duty processing. So in essence an infinite number in interim steps are generated.

The more I'm reading, the more I wish that they had gone the license route. This could really be interesting.

Yes, if we had sensors to cope with this.

Looking at his PhD dissertation, this effectively is a variant on faceted lenses, behind the lens rather than in front of it. A bunch of pixels/sensels on the sensor is serviced by a single lens, at a appropriate distance from the sensor to focus a sharp image. The image used is the one projected by the lens.

This also means that although by heavy computing and ray tracing it is possible to "focus" at different areas in the object field projected on the sensor, resolution will be significantly lower of what a sensor normally is capable of. Effectively, a 25 sensel array behind each lens will cut down resolution by a factor 5 (square root of number of elements), and this also means that in order to get good enough resolution for large size printing, 100 MP+ sensors are required.

AFAIAC, the reason to start with consumer cameras first, is because it is possible to get an ~2MP image from a reasonably sized smaller sensor this way, good enough for web viewing and small comsumer prints, certainly not enough for high quality printing purposes.

The shots used so far in their examples, were created with a MF back AFAIK, and an experimental microlens array to replace the original one, which explains the fairly shallow DoF in the first place. With the Lytro approach, effective apertures will become approximately F/4, due to the theoretical design limits imposed by this system, which also means that with compact cameras, almost everything should be in focus already.

Interesting concept, but I think we need to wait and see how this really turns out.

BTW, with some special software it is already possible to do this type of thing in the high quality realm too. However, this requires taking several pictures at different focusing distances, hence no moving objects allowed in the time required to take all shots. Here is where the Lytro has its advantage - 1 exposure for all of those shots.

Kind regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 3 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,198 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 23, 2011 08:38 |  #64

katodog wrote in post #12644067 (external link)
Not impressed. Programs like Focus Magic do the same thing, and when you create sharpening or focus with software you will not get the same detail and clarity as you would by getting the focus right in-camera.

This is basically a camera with built-in Focus Magic-type software, and the resulting images will never be as good as proper focus.

Perhaps you need to look at this a bit further. This is nothing like Focus Magic. Did you even go to their gallery and test out their photos? I know techno babble is lost on many people though, so I guess I could see where you draw your quick conclusion. ;)

One image "raw file" + their intrepretation software (like raw + dpp) + user selectable point in image = any focus point you want on that image = multiple compositions from one shot

I would love to know how big the files are after capturing the light field data instead of just a normal flattened exposed image we get today.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

gjl711
56,284 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 23, 2011 08:39 |  #65

wimg wrote in post #12644132 (external link)
Interesting concept, but I think we need to wait and see how this really turns out....

Yup, this says it all. The more I'm reading, the more excited I'm getting but there are so many potential issues with this technology that we will have to wait ans see what develops.

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 23, 2011 08:47 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #66

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12642714 (external link)
Anyone care to try and explain how this works if you're shooting sports at say, 1/4000 @ f/2.8?

There was another example linked which showed a mother behind a baby and while you could float the plane of focus to a significant degree, you could not get the mother's face as sharp as the baby's face at all.

I can't see this working without max depth of field and therefore, slow-ish shutter speeds.

My thoughts exactly.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 23, 2011 08:47 as a reply to  @ post 12640070 |  #67

This is not "software focus", it actually does some wonky stuff w/ the image plane and the sensor and captures "RAW focus data" so to speak. I've had the idea rattling around in my head since about a week after I bought the 50 f/1.8 (over 2 years ago) but don't have the brains to make it work or do anything with the idea.

Download the video from this site:

http://graphics.stanfo​rd.edu/papers/lfcamera​/ (external link)

Canon EOS 1D III
Manfrotto 190X Pro B w/324RC2 "Action Head" | Canon 580EX II
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

katodog
Goldmember
4,193 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 23, 2011 08:56 as a reply to  @ post 12639163 |  #68

My technological ability aside, I'm still not impressed. With what they have shown on their site I'm still not convinced they can recreate an image to the same level as what you would get with proper focus technique.

Kudos to the guy who thought up this next level of humans being ignorant and lazy, I'll stick with good old-fashioned effort and skill.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 23, 2011 08:58 as a reply to  @ post 12639163 |  #69

I know what you're saying, but "low resolution" applications like video would be most greatly benefited from this, I think. I like the example of focusing through a water-drop from a single shot (the video I linked to shows this) - could be very cool for things where you can't have multiple cameras or can't re-create multiple times but still want to get controllable or interactive depth.

But yes, I too would be angry if some little bastard with a PnS could get the same shot as my 85 f/1.4 on my 5D II :)

Canon EOS 1D III
Manfrotto 190X Pro B w/324RC2 "Action Head" | Canon 580EX II
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

gjl711
56,284 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 23, 2011 09:00 |  #70

For those interested in more details, here is the white paper.
http://graphics.stanfo​rd.edu …amera/lfcamera-150dpi.pdf (external link)

tvphotog wrote in post #12640671 (external link)
Expensive, but will be used in P&S cameras at first.

The first camera was a Contex mid-format body but I agree, the first commercial application will have to be where the bulk of the photographers are.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,198 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 23, 2011 09:01 |  #71

katodog wrote in post #12644212 (external link)
My technological ability aside, I'm still not impressed. With what they have shown on their site I'm still not convinced they can recreate an image to the same level as what you would get with proper focus technique.

Kudos to the guy who thought up this next level of humans being ignorant and lazy, I'll stick with good old-fashioned effort and skill.

What one person considers as a fix for one "level of ignorance and laziness" is what another considers "efficiency and proficiency". ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Bheims
387 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 23, 2011 09:08 |  #72

Erik_L wrote in post #12644226 (external link)
But yes, I too would be angry if some little bastard with a PnS could get the same shot as my 85 f/1.4 on my 5D II :)

Haha x2

Gear: 5DMkII, 60D, 20D, 24-105L, 17-85, Rokinon 8mm, 50 1.8, Some lights n stuff
Flickr (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 23, 2011 09:18 as a reply to  @ post 12639163 |  #73

It's not using any kind of software tricks to create blur/sharpen. They have a new sensor and lens design that captures not only color/intensity, but also the VECTOR DIRECTION of the light. Check it out here: http://www.lytro.com/s​cience_inside (external link). It does say that they are using software to do some of the picture creation, but it is more than just a simple blur and sharpen trick.

I think it actually opens a lot of doors artistically. It basically allows you to change your DOF and focus point on the fly.

Now, what other drawbacks there might be (low light performance, distortion due to the crazy lens design, can it zoom, sensor density, etc) we don't know yet. I think it has amazing potential, but it might not be perfect.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,198 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 23, 2011 09:19 |  #74

Bheims wrote in post #12644272 (external link)
Haha x2

Actually the P&S will get multiple shots from one, so if you miss the shot just slightly with the 85L, the P&S raw image user will be able to go back later and readjust the focal plane. :lol:

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,198 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 23, 2011 09:19 |  #75

Keyan wrote in post #12644317 (external link)
It's not using any kind of software tricks to create blur/sharpen. They have a new sensor and lens design that captures not only color/intensity, but also the VECTOR DIRECTION of the light. Check it out here: http://www.lytro.com/s​cience_inside (external link)

I think it actually opens a lot of doors artistically. It basically allows you to change your DOF and focus point on the fly.

Now, what other drawbacks there might be (low light performance, distortion due to the crazy lens design, can it zoom, sensor density, etc) we don't know yet. I think it has amazing potential, but it might not be perfect.

One step closer to the holodeck...

sponsored links

13,698 views & 0 likes for this thread
Plenoptic camera?
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.