Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 21 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Plenoptic camera?

katodog
Goldmember
4,193 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 24, 2011 08:28 |  #91

Ugh...

Sorry, but I prefer to think what I think; that this camera, while "fun" and "artistic", in the hands of a true photographer would be as useless as boobs on a bull. That's my opinion, I'm sticking to it, and I'm not going to argue about it.

And that's my last word. Bye bye.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,212 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 24, 2011 08:31 |  #92

I don't know, boobs on a bull would make for an very interesting print... :lol: I bet I could make money with a bull like that too, given some of the freaks in the world. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

alquimista
Cream of the Crop
6,998 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 24, 2011 10:28 |  #93

Refocusing the Light Field

Hi all, I found this interesting article about been able refocus your pictures after they have been taken, is some sort of new technology,here is a link to the article, let me know what your thoughts are. http://whereisbartleby​.wordpress.com/ (external link)

la costura de Dios
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/andresmoline/ (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,288 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 24, 2011 10:32 as a reply to  @ alquimista's post |  #94

It's a new camera (actually, its quite old but just coming to market) Search for Lytro. There are quite a few threads discussing.
https://photography-on-the.net …t=1057739&highl​ight=lytro

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

alquimista
Cream of the Crop
6,998 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 24, 2011 10:34 as a reply to  @ alquimista's post |  #95

thanks fro the info!

la costura de Dios
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/andresmoline/ (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 24, 2011 12:12 |  #96

TeamSpeed wrote in post #12649967 (external link)
It is really hard to draw a line as to where technology ends and photography starts, isn't it? ;)

It's often far easier to tell where the photography has failed to start...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

jasongraaf
624 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 24, 2011 19:50 |  #97

katodog wrote in post #12649909 (external link)
you can just aim the camera and press a button

Like auto-focus? :lol: AF doesn't help you, it does it for you. It amazes me how quickly people run when people disagree with them.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't use this as it seems like it would take a lot of the fun out of taking photos.

Flickr (external link)
-------------

katodog
Goldmember
4,193 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 24, 2011 19:59 |  #98

jasongraaf wrote in post #12653097 (external link)
Like auto-focus? :lol: AF doesn't help you, it does it for you. It amazes me how quickly people run when people disagree with them.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't use this as it seems like it would take a lot of the fun out of taking photos.

I didn't run when someone disagreed, I left because I didn't want to get dragged into a conversation where people had to pump their egos and make themselves look smarter at someone elses expense. But since you directed your post at me...

I use manual focus all the time, what do you have to say about that??

Now, if nobody else wants to have the "My ding-a-ling is bigger than yours" third-grade mentality, I'll be saying "Bye bye" once again.

Bye bye.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,212 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 24, 2011 21:36 |  #99

It's amazing how the older you get, the more set in your ways you become, and the less open you end up becoming to change, technological or otherwise. It's a good thing, and the great news for those that don't like the concept is that this will take alot of time to fully develop, and many, many years before it becomes completely mainstream at affordable prices. By that time, we will be fully immersed in 3D media viewing in our homes, so it will fit right in.

Also, you still have to focus, there will be a limit to how much light vector data can be recorded and stored, so you will have a limited focus range to work with in the first place. Choose wisely, or you still may not have the shot you intended.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

jasongraaf
624 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 24, 2011 22:18 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #100

I'm still a little confused about how this technology works... Does it start from a high DOF image taken with a small aperture and then de-focus areas to simulate a shallow DOF? Or is it able to create areas of focus from what was originally OOF by fiddling with the light's vectors?

*following is for katodog*
I didn't direct my post at you; you said you were done with this thread. :rolleyes: There''s no reason to get so worked up about nothing. And I applaud you for shooting in manual focus, you truly are doing God's work. The only ego-pumping in this thread was yours, implying that everyone interested in this technology lacks technical skill. We can only hope that you are now really done with this thread.

Flickr (external link)
-------------

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,212 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 24, 2011 22:24 |  #101

The company explains pretty well here: http://www.pcmag.com …le2/0,2817,2387​554,00.asp (external link)

What is interesting is that you can ultimately also change your perspective a bit too. Not only can you change the focus point in your image, but you have a limited area by which to change your relative side to side position to the scene. There goes the rest of the photographic experience, no focusing during the shot, no perspective control, not too much left at this point. :)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,212 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 24, 2011 22:34 |  #102

Now, I still think something is funky going on with their supposed real examples. For example, the one in the PCMag article I just linked to....

I cannot get the curtain in between girls 1 and 2 vs 3 and 4 to get in focus, it is either girl 2 or girl 3. I click along the top edge, and soon as I get to a certain point in that curtain, they flip the focus to other girl. I think there is some fair amount of marketing and web shenanigans going into their examples personally, just based on that.

Playing around on some of their other images too, you can tell that they are staged and not the real results.

Siphoning Coffee: Click around in kettle 2, and the foremost kettle will go into focus
Guy with Spear: Click along the shaft, and you will see 3 focus areas, the tip, then part of the shaft, then it jumps to the guy

etc.

jasongraaf
624 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 24, 2011 22:38 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #103

I could be wrong, but I had assumed that the 'stepped' focus of the web samples was just a simplification of the process so that you could get an idea of what's capable in full editing. I would imagine that really adjusting the focus would take a few seconds of computer calculations in an editor.

Flickr (external link)
-------------

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,212 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 24, 2011 22:40 |  #104

jasongraaf wrote in post #12653684 (external link)
I could be wrong, but I had assumed that the 'stepped' focus of the web samples was just a simplification of the process so that you could get an idea of what's capable in full editing. I would imagine that really adjusting the focus would take a few seconds of computer calculations in an editor.

Possibly, but as the article calls out, nobody will be able to carry their images and process into mainstream, like smugmug, flickr, etc. So they will be willing to host all images and allow you to send around URLs. So I would hope that if they hope to host the images and the software, their examples would be a little more closer to truth than html click zones mockups.

blindman9135
165 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 24, 2011 22:59 |  #105

Has no one thought of IQ? ISO capabilities on a sensor level? color rendition, etc..? Apparently this is a whole new type of sensor so who knows if its bad or good... Should be an interesting concept if it every becomes better than traditional bayer sensors. My first though when i hear these cool focus changing ideas is, "why cant we merge them"? so instead of having only your bride in focus or her mom... why not have the whole room! or get a whole landscape in focus and not worry about diffraction from a super small aperture. In the end i still think it wont be as good IQ wise as traditional sensors... I hope I'm wrong though...

5D Mark ii, Canon 24-105, Sigma 17-35, Canon 50 f/1.8, YN460 II Flash(s).

sponsored links

13,727 views & 0 likes for this thread
Plenoptic camera?
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.