Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 20:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why I will never buy more then one lens at a time

Aperture1.4
184 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 21, 2011 20:00 |  #1

A while back I bought 2 lenses, a Sigma 30mm 1.4, and a 100mm Macro 2.8(non IS) I ALWAYS used the sigma more, while yes, it is a more versatile lens I found that I disliked the 100mm Macro almost right away, and preferred the sigma 1.4, it is months later and I have sold the 100mm Macro, I feel that no matter what the second lens is I will always prefer one of them.

I just felt like sharing and do any of you feel that way?

I am dealing with apple autocorrect. Excuse my spelling/random words.

sponsored links
jeppoy
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 21, 2011 20:04 |  #2

Nope, I carefully research all my lenses before purchased and I purchased 24-70 and 70-200mm the same time and it is the perfect combo for the type of shooting that I do. I think most people who start don't really know what type of photography they are going to specialize with and end up with lenses they can't use or not suitable for the type of photography they end up liking.

No I'm not a photographer, I just shoot with Canon DSLR with those lenses with red thingy...;)

www.digital-xpression.com (external link)

Aperture1.4
THREAD ­ STARTER
184 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 21, 2011 20:06 |  #3

Yep, for example I loved the macro, and maybe one day I will buy it again, but for a 100mm prime? not worth it for me. I love my 70-200mm for the reason it covers 100mm and 70. It is amazing for portraits and sharp.

I am dealing with apple autocorrect. Excuse my spelling/random words.

jeppoy
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 21, 2011 20:08 |  #4

I ussually look at pictures and what lens they used to take it. I find lots of time more people exagerate reviews and sometimes they don't even have the lens to begin with let alone make the recommendation.

No I'm not a photographer, I just shoot with Canon DSLR with those lenses with red thingy...;)

tempest68
980 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 21, 2011 20:19 |  #5

I think a lot of people settle down to one favorite lens they use the most. For me, it's the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 OS HSM. But that doesn't mean I'll sell off the rest of my lenses. In fact, I don't use the Sigma 10-20mm very often at all. But I still wouldn't sell it because when I need wider than 17mm, I need wider than 17mm. I can understand that if you don't find yourself actually shooting Macro shots, then other lenses certainly can cover the same focal length range for you.

So I think it should be more a matter of "WIll I find this lens useful, even if only sometimes?" If the answer is no, then it is time to move on. If the answer is yes or maybe, then it is worth holding onto.

Jim
Canon: EOS 3, 40mm f2.8 STM, 85mm f1.8 USM. Voigtlander: R3A, 28mm F2.8 SL II, Nokton 40mm f1.4, 50mm f2 Heliar.
Nikon: SB-25. Yongnuo: YN565EX, YN-622C transceiver (x2)
Sony: A7S, a6000, 24-240mm f3.5-6.3 G, Nissin i40.

jeppoy
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 21, 2011 20:25 |  #6

I don't think its a matter of favoratism. For example if my favorite lens is 70-200mm 2.8L IS and I'm shooting in my studio which is pretty small to use for full body shots then I resort to the 24-70mm. I think its more on the specificity of use. For portraits my 24-200 range covers every portrait situation that I look for.

a_roadbiker
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 21, 2011 20:28 |  #7

I never buy more than one lens at a time. Probably because I don't want to part with the cash all as the same time. I tend to buy the lens I want when In need it (or really want it). On top of that, when I do buy a new lens I want to play with it. If I were ro buy two, then I'd be torn on which one to play with. I just got the 24-105L. Now I am already wanting the 17-40L and the 100-400L. I can't drop the $$$'s on all of them, so I will work within my range (for now) and then add as I go, selling off redundant lenses to fund the new ones. The next one I will sell is my 70-300 non-L to get the 100-400L. Then comes the 17-40L and I should be set.

Jim

Click here to see a list of My Stuff

Visit my flickr (external link)
Like me on Facebook (external link)
www.jmaurophoto.com (external link)

thestone11
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 21, 2011 20:31 |  #8

That is why I try to avoid getting lens that will overlap each other focal range. For me, it is perfect until now. 24-70 then 70-200. My next target will be 11-16mm for wide angle.

Canon 5D MK II | Fuji X100 | Canon T2i | Canon 100mm macro f/2.8 | Canon 135L f/2 | Canon 50mm f/1.2 L | 17-40mm f/4 L | 24-70mm f/2.8 L | 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM |Canon 430EX II Flash X2 | Pocketwizard TT5 & TT1

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 21, 2011 20:38 |  #9

Nope. I will buy whatever I need.

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,581 posts
Gallery: 328 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 21, 2011 20:43 |  #10

I think you will always have lenses you use more, whether you buy them together or years apart. Yes, it's good to spread out the joy of getting new stuff, but sometimes it's even more fun to get a bunch of new stuff in one box! I bought my Tamron 17-50 (sold now), Sigma 30 and Canon 85 1.8 all at the same time. It was like Christmas! As an example of use, I have about 75 "keepers" from my Sigma this year to 7 for the 85. But it would be the same if I had bought the 85 4 months earlier or later than the Sigma. I still love the 85 and while I put it up for sale last weekend, I decided to keep it. In the end I knew if I sold it I would regret it.

I doubt I'll buy more than one lens at a time again as most of the lenses I want are more expensive now. Unless I do a wholesale change and go FF. :)

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

wrxrocks
410 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 21, 2011 20:47 |  #11

Buying two or more lenses at time is like getting married with two or more wives at a time. One has a tendency to **** more than the others. And you always pick the favorite to sleep with each night.

50D with ef 16-35ii, ef 24-105L f4 IS, my new lover 70-200L f2.8 IS ii, 35L f1.4, EF 85L F1.2 mark ii, 400L F5.6

jeppoy
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 21, 2011 20:49 |  #12

wrxrocks wrote in post #12635603 (external link)
Buying two or more lenses at time is like getting married with two or more wives at a time. One has a tendency to **** more than the others. And you always pick the favorite to sleep with each night.

why sleep with one if you can sleep with both :lol:

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 21, 2011 21:22 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #13

I like the idea of one lens at a time. About two years ago, I sold my XTi and have been enjoying putting together the perfect :confused: kit. But, now that I'm actually learning a bit about the hobby, I wish I had spent more time learning and less time gathering gear.

Even though I might happen to have a tripod with me, most of my shooting is more like taking snapshots. I have never gone out looking for a specific shot and the studio doors are never open unless something is going on eBay. As it turns out, I kind of like restricting myself to a single lens and thinking of how that particular lens fits with the available opportunities. With a prime lens I enjoy the challenge even more.

Now that I own a good mix I don't think I'll go back to one lens. But, I don't think I'll carry more than one lens very often. With my limited skills, additional lens choices just distract me.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

Gliderparentntn
Goldmember
1,582 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 21, 2011 21:32 |  #14

For me its not about buying 1, 2, or three lenses at a time. Its about having the correct lens when it is needed. I am guessing over half the lenses i have listed in my signature i don't even use or have ever used. I get them in micro adjust them and put them in the camera bag for safety.

James
1DMKIII, 1DsMKIII, 17-40L, 24-70L[COLOR=black], 135[COLOR=red]L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS,200L, 300 f/4L IS, 400 5.6L, 600L, 85 f/1.8, 100 macro, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 85mm 1.4 HSM, 1.4xII + extension tubes, MPe65

JazzyMac
51 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 21, 2011 21:49 |  #15

Wow.

Canon 7D, Leica M8.2, Canon S95
J.Bijou Photography on FB (external link)

sponsored links

1,616 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why I will never buy more then one lens at a time
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.