Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 21 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 20:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

This is going to be a sensitive topic.

Aperture1.4
184 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 21, 2011 20:58 |  #1

I know most people dont want to talk about it, and I am not sure if this topic will be acceptable. Anyways Ill get on with my question.

How many of you ran towards the twin towers on 9/11 for the cause of documenting it, and also, if you feel comfortable doing it would you post these pictures? I remember sitting on my kitchen counter as a 7 year old eating goldfish watching the TV, and watching the towers fall.

I know it is a hard topic and I am sorry for the losses that day. and if anyone here has lost a loved one I am very sorry and you are in my prayers, even 10 years later.

Mods/admins, if this is a problem feel free to delete it and please PM me if it is a problem.

I am dealing with apple autocorrect. Excuse my spelling/random words.

sponsored links
HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 21, 2011 21:54 |  #2

I know Steve McCurry photographed the towers after impact from the roof of where he was in NYC, then he ventured in and go closer photographs.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 21, 2011 22:00 |  #3

If I had an editor who expected me to deliver images, I'd be in there doing my job. Not all photography is babies and butterflies.

I've been lucky so far in that I haven't been present for an aviation crash or a collision but I have no doubt that the longer I do this, the more likely that day will come. I was only about five minutes removed from the fight line when Jack Roush wadded up his jet at Oshkosh last summer so my "moment" almost dropped right in my lap.

I'd like to think I will be able to stay in the moment and do what I like to think I do best which is document what I see in front of me.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Jun 21, 2011 22:11 |  #4

Like firemen, police and military, news photographers try to head toward what everyone else is running from. It's part of the job and the people who seek out that job probably have a predisposition for taking risks.

I can't speak of the towers on 9/11 because I was already into semi retirement in Florida, but when I was working, it was usually fun, even doing dangerous things. Covering accidents was not so much fun. Seeing a young mother die in the arms of a paramedic, while her crushed and dying infant wailed from within the wreckage put me off for a while--I asked the editor to let someone else cover wrecks. I never minded doing things that were dangerous for me, but the sheer waste of traffic fatalities finally got to me. I can only imagine that was magnified by three thousand for those shooting on that day.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

KVN ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,940 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 21, 2011 23:19 |  #5

If I was there, I would photograph or video it. We are doing our job, so the world know how terrorist take the one we love.

X-Pro1 + 18-55 f/2.8-4 OIS + 55-200 f/3.8-4.5 OIS
TS-E 24 f/3.5L II + XF 35 f/1.4 + XF 56 f/1.2
Sony RX100 II + G12
Travel the world!

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,879 posts
Gallery: 119 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 22, 2011 09:17 as a reply to  @ KVN Photo's post |  #6

I'm sure many people saw the documentary made by the two French brothers (Naudet brothers). They were making a doco with one of the fire houses and found themselves in the middle of the 911 event.There was a scene where a Policeman yelled something at one of the brothers who was photographing and at that moment I found myself understanding both parties, ie the cops reaction to someone photographing human suffering and at the same time the photographers obvious drive to simply capture.

Dave
Image editing OK

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 22, 2011 11:13 |  #7

Choderboy wrote in post #12638410 (external link)
There was a scene where a Policeman yelled something at one of the brothers who was photographing and at that moment I found myself understanding both parties, ie the cops reaction to someone photographing human suffering and at the same time the photographers obvious drive to simply capture.

Please, please folks, can we refrain from turning this questionable thread into yet another police versus photographers' rights thread.

If it does, I sincerely hope for the sake of taste and decency the moderators will lock it.

David

David

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 22, 2011 12:09 |  #8

Woodworker wrote in post #12638991 (external link)
Please, please folks, can we refrain from turning this questionable thread into yet another police versus photographers' rights thread.

If it does, I sincerely hope for the sake of taste and decency the moderators will lock it.

David

Yet the police was probably looking out for the safety of that photographer going into the danger area.

Aperture1.4
THREAD ­ STARTER
184 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 22, 2011 12:35 |  #9

Back to the main topic. Were any of the potners there?

I am dealing with apple autocorrect. Excuse my spelling/random words.

Bang ­ Bang ­ Boy
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 22, 2011 16:02 |  #10

Wish I was but I was only 10 years old and still remember seeing it on the tv with my class.

Lots of old stuff but hey I am a student
Photojournalist in Johannesburg.

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 22, 2011 19:30 |  #11

there was a time that I would have done whatever I could to get shots that would be a record of an important event, no matter what it was or how I was effected by it personally. After spending several hours stuck behind a fatal accident with a camper full of gear and several long lenses and a tripod thinking about reasons I didn't need to get out the camera and take pictures that I knew would be the best taken that day, I am pretty sure I wouldn't run towards the towers either.
That day in traffic the cell phone crowd ruled, they had photos uploaded to the local newschannels before I got home to watch the news that night. I might have had better shots by far, but by the time I would have been able to get them to someone that wanted them, they would have been swimming in free cell phone shots. I have to beleive that if the towers fell tomorrow, all the news shots would be cell phone captures until they could get their own people on the ground- So, WHY BOTHER? nothing goes unrecorded these days, let someone else do it for free, or get a paid gig yourself. Anything less is an exercise in frustration and danger for no reward, go home, be safe.

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,457 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 22, 2011 19:39 |  #12

If I had been on-site, and there wasn't an immediate need on hand for me to actually be lending a hand to someone, then I'd have been shooting like a maniac. Something of that scale, tragic or not, is newsworthy and should be recorded for history's sake, if nothing else.

More likely, though, I would have been trying to get people out of harm's way, or at least out of the real responders' way.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,299 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 22, 2011 19:54 |  #13

Stay out of the way, stay safe, do what you can to help within your abilities. Then document.

I am not an ambulance chaser, but I will follow smoke signals :) This past November my neighbour's house burned. I spent 8 hours documenting the event. Some people had issues with what I did, but the fire department sure was thankful to have a DVD full of images. The fire prevention officer asked me for my pictures so they could be used in the official investigation. That DVD is in the permanent file now. I gave the department a second DVD for their collection. And they are still talking about them.

The local news radio station also requested a couple of images to be used on their website. They have used my photos previously.

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2678/5861957604_332de55884_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …wershutterbug/5​861957604/  (external link)
Fire (external link) by Horsepower Shutter Bug (external link), on Flickr

Melody

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 22, 2011 22:03 |  #14

Aperture1.4 wrote in post #12639451 (external link)
Back to the main topic. Were any of the potners there?

I wasn't "there". I was working in midtown Manhattan. My wife was actually there. This was before I met her. She worked a few blocks away, saw the second plane hit the WTC, heard rumbling, ran for her life along with thousands of other people, got to a ferry, crossed over to Brooklyn, and had her friend pick her up. She still remembers every little detail from that day.

I think other than your dedicated professionals, whether it be Fire Fighters, Police, and other rescue workers, and perhaps people from the news and papers, the smartest thing was to run away...fast.

I wasn't into photography at the time, but I would venture a guess and say that I would have run away from the scene, not towards it. I would have thrown whatever photographer gear I had on me if it was slowing me down. My life is more important than shooting photos of that epic disaster.

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 22, 2011 22:13 |  #15

Choderboy wrote in post #12638410 (external link)
I'm sure many people saw the documentary made by the two French brothers (Naudet brothers). They were making a doco with one of the fire houses and found themselves in the middle of the 911 event.

I've seen this documentary (it was a good while back now), but I highly recommend it. It's videography, not stills, but it gives you a sense of what it must have been like to try to capture the moment that day. If I recall correctly, their video is the only high quality one of the first plane's impact.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,582 views & 0 likes for this thread
This is going to be a sensitive topic.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.