Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 21 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 21:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does this exist?

Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 21, 2011 21:09 |  #1

I just had an idea while I was driving... Does anyone make a small, self contained flash module that would screw into a standard 120v edison mount bulb-socket that is maybe triggered via optical slave and has some sort of power-output adjustment? I'd love to be able to light scenes using the fixtures already available, without having to stick a speedlite inside/near/behind each fixture.

Please let me know!

Canon EOS 1D III
Manfrotto 190X Pro B w/324RC2 "Action Head" | Canon 580EX II
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

sponsored links
sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 21, 2011 21:16 |  #2

so this is suppose to take the place of dragging the shutter and using films to adjust the strobe?

This invention would make the Fong light sphere useful!

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Jun 21, 2011 21:18 |  #3

an interesting idea

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 21, 2011 21:19 |  #4

Erik_L wrote in post #12635715 (external link)
I just had an idea while I was driving... Does anyone make a small, self contained flash module that would screw into a standard 120v edison mount bulb-socket that is maybe triggered via optical slave and has some sort of power-output adjustment? I'd love to be able to light scenes using the fixtures already available, without having to stick a speedlite inside/near/behind each fixture.

Please let me know!

Like this, note these units are very low power.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …+II&N=0&Initial​Search=yes (external link)

or

http://shop.ebay.com/i​.html?_nkw=ac+slave+fl​ash (external link)

These have been around for years, and the same basic unit is available under many different brand names.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

Erik_L
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 21, 2011 21:27 |  #5

FlashZebra, precisely! FYI, I love Flash Zebra, my super-long TTL cord still serves me sometimes :)

I basically wanna do some shots that utilize the character of something like a desk lamp... nothing produces "desk-lamp type light" like a desk lamp :)

Only question now is whether this one has an optical trigger, or only PC?

http://www.amazon.com …ics&qid=1308709​907&sr=8-1 (external link)

Canon EOS 1D III
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 21, 2011 23:17 |  #6

WOW for that cheap I would do that. A lot easier.

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 21, 2011 23:39 |  #7

Erik_L wrote in post #12635715 (external link)

Please let me know!

Yes they do make these flashes, they're called AC Powered Strobes. However, they are not adjustable in power and can cost anywhere from $20 up to $60.....

MARK

Erik_L
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 22, 2011 07:34 |  #8

The Loft Studios wrote in post #12636539 (external link)
Yes they do make these flashes, they're called AC Powered Strobes. However, they are not adjustable in power and can cost anywhere from $20 up to $60.....

Yup, this has already been answered. Thanks.

Canon EOS 1D III
Flick (external link)r

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 22, 2011 08:47 |  #9

Erik_L wrote in post #12635815 (external link)
FlashZebra, precisely! FYI, I love Flash Zebra, my super-long TTL cord still serves me sometimes :)

I basically wanna do some shots that utilize the character of something like a desk lamp... nothing produces "desk-lamp type light" like a desk lamp :)

Only question now is whether this one has an optical trigger, or only PC?

http://www.amazon.com …ics&qid=1308709​907&sr=8-1 (external link)

Yes, that unit does have an optical sensor. However, the product specs mention a 50-degree beam spread. If you're going to be using these in desk lamps, you might want a flash with wider dispersion such as this Morris unit:

http://www.adorama.com​/MRACWS.html (external link)

This one also has an optical trigger.

Dave F.

shankarhokie
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 22, 2011 09:26 as a reply to  @ tetrode's post |  #10

THis one has BOTH PC connection AND optical slave

http://www.adorama.com​/LTACMS.html (external link)

It fires consistently as an optical slave.. but the output is fixed

Shankar
Perpetual learner.
FLICKR (external link) -- Gear-- Facebook (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 22, 2011 12:09 |  #11

Interesting idea. I can see where such units might be useful, but not being able to control their power output could be a pain too...

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

TuanTime
759 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 22, 2011 12:37 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #12

I learned something new from this thanks. I never knew these existed either. I'm not sure how I would use them but it's good to know anyways.

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 22, 2011 17:29 |  #13

tetrode wrote in post #12638221 (external link)
Yes, that unit does have an optical sensor. However, the product specs mention a 50-degree beam spread. If you're going to be using these in desk lamps, you might want a flash with wider dispersion such as this Morris unit:

http://www.adorama.com​/MRACWS.html (external link)

This one also has an optical trigger.

Dave F.

I've actually checked those out in the past to make custom light fixtures...

The 5seconds recycle time showed me the door with a boot on my arse. The fasters ones seem to be more focused so theres not as much point in them either.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 22, 2011 19:03 |  #14

I have 4 or 5 of these. They are slow to recycle. The cover screws off so its possible to put some diffusion material onto them to spread the light a bit.

I look at them as special purpose tools.

The idea of putting them in a desk lamp would probably work unless you need a significant light.

Remember, 21Ws isn't much light but then again if its a foot from the subject is might be too much.

I have to turn my Einsteins down to 2.5 Ws in a 54" PLM with diffusion front panel when shooting flowers if I want to be at F2.8 That's at ISO 100 on a 5DII.

These little items can be useful but adjustability is limited to distance from subject they are lighting or using something to cut the light.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Benji
Goldmember
2,205 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 22, 2011 19:03 |  #15

I've used and worn out several of the Morris Bare Bulb Slave units. I love 'em. To decrease the power by one stop simply take a white cloth and a rubber band and cover the dome. Two layers equals two stops.

Benji

sponsored links

2,211 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does this exist?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.