Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 22:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= T2i / 550D users UNITE! (3) =-

this thread is locked
Inchpractice
788 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 15, 2012 10:01 |  #8416

MedicinSC wrote in post #13707642 (external link)
6 seconds on a tripod with cable release. I forgot to do a mirror lockup.

Strange, you shouldn't need a mirror lock-up to get the focus right. Dunno why it was not as sharp as you wanted then.

:confused:

Groom suitsexternal link for photographers with taste.

sponsored links
MedicinSC
Goldmember
1,373 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 15, 2012 10:14 as a reply to  @ Inchpractice's post |  #8417

I meant just as a precaution for vibration/movement. I'll bet I left IS on too. My eyes suck which is why focus is off a bit. The next few I'll put up, after church are better focused I think.

trulie98
875 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 15, 2012 10:57 |  #8418

MedicinSC wrote in post #13707541 (external link)
I finally decided to roll my happy ass out of bed to go catch a sunrise. Here's the first one. I'll have to look over the rest and edit later, after church. I overexposed by a stop, then brought it back down in LR3 so there wouldn't be as much noise in the darker areas. I think it turned out all right. I'm not happy with the focus... I used live view on 10x and manually focused. I think it could've been better in that respect.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

I love the colors and composition...the horizon line looks good below the lower 3rd so that the top of the trees are around the 1/3rd line. The reflection of the colors makes the image strong. I don't mind a softer focus with this image...it adds to the dreamyness of it. Nice shot!

The name's Troy.
Gear : Canon 7D, Canon 400mm f/5.6L, Canon EF 24-70 L, Canon EF 70-200 f/4 L, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 IS L, nifty fifty, EF-S 55-250 IS, EF 24mm 2.8,
Flickr (external link), My Facebook Page (external link)
Troy Marcy Photography (external link)

Inchpractice
788 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 15, 2012 10:57 |  #8419

MedicinSC wrote in post #13707732 (external link)
I meant just as a precaution for vibration/movement. I'll bet I left IS on too. My eyes suck which is why focus is off a bit. The next few I'll put up, after church are better focused I think.

If you left IS on that would explain it.

Inchpractice
788 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 15, 2012 11:02 |  #8420

trulie98 wrote in post #13707903 (external link)
I love the colors and composition...the horizon line looks good below the lower 3rd so that the top of the trees are around the 1/3rd line. The reflection of the colors makes the image strong. I don't mind a softer focus with this image...it adds to the dreamyness of it. Nice shot!

I actually would've framed it differently myself.
I would've gone two thirds ground and one third sky or half and half, because the water is the most beautiful part of the picture and there are no clouds in the sky so not much interest.
Also the reflection of some of the trees has been cut off at the bottom when it could've been shown.

Just my two cents.

bobobird
Cream of the Crop
5,131 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 15, 2012 11:24 |  #8421

It is a lovely shot all the same. In a sunset scene such as this there is nothing that needs to be really sharp because all that is being shown is the sky, water, trees/treeline. Now if there was a foreground subject that would need to be sharp.

skidu
315 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 15, 2012 11:34 |  #8422

Peter2516 wrote in post #13705252 (external link)
Today I am trying to get use to my new acquired lens. So far so good but I know in time I will get accustomed to this lens.

Here are example pics of ef 300mm f4L IS USM.

Holey moley that's sharp lol, what's it like compared to the 70-200L? Great shot btw, love the close up of the feet.

Couple shots from this morning - think the first was with 50mm and 2nd with 55-250mm.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Untitled (external link) by skidu (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7014/6701117537_866c886dca_z.jpg

flickr (external link)

Inchpractice
788 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 15, 2012 12:06 |  #8423

bobobird wrote in post #13708024 (external link)
It is a lovely shot all the same. In a sunset scene such as this there is nothing that needs to be really sharp because all that is being shown is the sky, water, trees/treeline. Now if there was a foreground subject that would need to be sharp.

Yes true, these shots are not really about razor sharpness.

T2i4me
Goldmember
2,905 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 15, 2012 12:07 |  #8424

Peter2516 wrote in post #13705252 (external link)
Today I am trying to get use to my new acquired lens. So far so good but I know in time I will get accustomed to this lens.

Here are example pics of ef 300mm f4L IS USM.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Congrats Peter, will be fun to see your shots, give us a review once you get to stretch it's legs so to speak.

-- Eric --
5DC - T2i - 100-400 L IS - 70-200 F4 L - 17-40 L - EF 85 1.8 - EF-S 10-22 - EF-S 15-85 IS - EF-S 60 macro - 430EX II

trulie98
875 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 15, 2012 13:02 |  #8425

Inchpractice wrote in post #13707922 (external link)
I actually would've framed it differently myself.
I would've gone two thirds ground and one third sky or half and half, because the water is the most beautiful part of the picture and there are no clouds in the sky so not much interest.
Also the reflection of some of the trees has been cut off at the bottom when it could've been shown.

Just my two cents.

I love to hear others' take on images like this. Composition is king (as has been stated on these boards a few times now)...the other amazing thing about compistion is the intention and interpretation of the composition. You make some great suggestions Inch! I think the blue sky does offer some interest to the photo...it is a "negative space" that could be either above or below. Good stuff!

The name's Troy.
Gear : Canon 7D, Canon 400mm f/5.6L, Canon EF 24-70 L, Canon EF 70-200 f/4 L, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 IS L, nifty fifty, EF-S 55-250 IS, EF 24mm 2.8,
Flickr (external link), My Facebook Page (external link)
Troy Marcy Photography (external link)

bobobird
Cream of the Crop
5,131 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 15, 2012 13:16 |  #8426

skidu - #1 love it.

baio
127 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 15, 2012 13:33 |  #8427

Icy and foggy day today :D

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_6385 (external link) by ba-io (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_6407 (external link) by ba-io (external link), on Flickr

70-200 ƒ2.8 wide open at 200mm

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_6418 (external link) by ba-io (external link), on Flickr

Canon EOS 550D(RIP) EOS 5DmkIII ~ EOS 1N ~ EOS 33
Flickr (external link)

MedicinSC
Goldmember
1,373 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 15, 2012 13:36 |  #8428

trulie98 wrote in post #13708418 (external link)
I love to hear others' take on images like this. Composition is king (as has been stated on these boards a few times now)...the other amazing thing about compistion is the intention and interpretation of the composition. You make some great suggestions Inch! I think the blue sky does offer some interest to the photo...it is a "negative space" that could be either above or below. Good stuff!

Thanks guys, for the comments. Interestingly enough, I drive by this place every morning on my way to work, but don't have time to stop. I get off too late the next morning to catch what I want. But, every other day, and I mean every other day, that I go by here, there are clouds in the sky. I told my daughter, as we were getting these images, that I wish there had been some clouds. Maybe next weekend.

Here is one at only 18mm, the first one was at 40mm, I think. I didn't like the foreground marsh weeds, so I had zoomed in to eliminate them without having to crop. This is two minutes before the first image I posted.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Inchpractice
788 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 15, 2012 13:44 |  #8429

trulie98 wrote in post #13708418 (external link)

Yes I agree negative space is cool. I try to use it when the opportunity arises.
I suppose it depends on what you're shooting. Sometimes there's a fine line between negative space and dead space.
You've used it well in your 'isolated reed' shot a few pages back, and I've tried to use it here in these ones (although technically the space is not 100% negative):

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6202/6106045381_eae1930f92_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/56558970@N07/6​106045381/  (external link)
IMG_5207_0708 (external link) by inchpractice (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6189/6106567408_a752ed25b4_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/56558970@N07/6​106567408/  (external link)
IMG_4726_1073 (external link) by inchpractice (external link), on Flickr

I suppose what I'm saying about MedicinSC's sunset shot is that once the sky has turned from gold to blue everything above that is solid blue which is cool and all fine and dandy but the reason he took the shot in the first place is because the beautiful sunset was reflected in the water. (I'm putting words in his mouth here, but still.)

Which is why every time I'm confronted with a sunset scene like that I shoot it both ways - one with 2/3 sky and one with 2/3 water.
You don't always know until you get home which one will look best.
I'd be willing to bet that it would look better with more water, but it's all subjective of course.

J.Wolfe
647 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 15, 2012 14:05 |  #8430

love the bird shot Skidu the set all in all is very pleasing.

a few I took on winter break back in VA

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7015/6622831143_7c4dcf7031_b.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Hi, I'm Justin
~ Argus C3
~ Konica C35
~ Canon T2i
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

933,904 views & 0 likes for this thread
-= T2i / 550D users UNITE! (3) =-
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.