Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jun 2011 (Wednesday) 05:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Walkthrough: Install gphoto2 (read shutter count T2i, 7D, etc) on Linux LiveCD or USB

TvSteve
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 30, 2011 16:15 as a reply to  @ post 13473788 |  #76

I'm trying to get gphoto to read my 7D but can't. I get a error 105, unknown model, using "--camera=MODEL. I plugged in my 20D and it see's it, also I see the photo's on the 7D in Shotwell. Using the command line in post-1 it returns "Label: Camera Status Information", nothing else. Gphoto2-2.4.11-1 and Fedora 16. Tried twice with same results.

sponsored links
TvSteve
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 30, 2011 18:03 |  #77

TvSteve wrote in post #13475665 (external link)
I'm trying to get gphoto to read my 7D but can't. I get a error 105, unknown model, using "--camera=MODEL. I plugged in my 20D and it see's it, also I see the photo's on the 7D in Shotwell. Using the command line in post-1 it returns "Label: Camera Status Information", nothing else. Gphoto2-2.4.11-1 and Fedora 16. Tried twice with same results.

Installed on my laptop and worked great. Desktop is an older machine.

kenshap
367 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 03, 2011 10:59 |  #78

MOkoFOko wrote in post #13293513 (external link)
It's just a GUI for gphoto2. It isn't really better, and it doesn't really replace the functionality of gphoto2.

Question, is the gtkam command available at the last steps without having to download/install additional packages?

It's an additional package, but it's nice in that arcane command lines don't have to be entered.

Canon T6s (battery grip) | Canon T4i (aftermarket battery grip) | Canon T2i | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF-S 55 - 250 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro | Canon 40mm

MOkoFOko
THREAD ­ STARTER
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 06, 2011 16:03 |  #79

kenshap wrote in post #13488932 (external link)
It's an additional package, but it's nice in that arcane command lines don't have to be entered.

If copying in 2-3 commands (word for word) is too difficult, then I apologize for the moderately difficult tutorial--but plenty of people have followed the walkthrough without problems or complaints so far. No offense intended of course--the argument just seems kind of silly... it's not like there's any room for error. If you follow the steps line by line and have an internet connection, it really can't go wrong.

My Gearlist

Sunblack
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 24, 2012 15:52 as a reply to  @ MOkoFOko's post |  #80

HELP!
i'm a total newbie here.....
tried with Fedora and gphoto2 and my canon 5d classic.
No shutter counts!!!
Camera is detected with ~$ gphoto2 --auto-detect
but the command gphoto2 --get-config=/main/status/sh​uttercounter
doesnt produce results, same lines result as the previous command (--auto-detect)
possible?

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 24, 2012 16:10 |  #81

Sunblack wrote in post #14146199 (external link)
HELP!
No shutter counts!!!
doesnt produce results, same lines result as the previous command (--auto-detect)
possible?

I don't think that it is supposed to work on a 5Dc.

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

MOkoFOko
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 24, 2012 16:33 |  #82

Sunblack wrote in post #14146199 (external link)
HELP!
No shutter counts!!!
possible?

Yogi Bear wrote in post #14146269 (external link)
I don't think that it is supposed to work on a 5Dc.

This is correct--there is absolutely no way to get an actuation reading for a 5D mk1. Everything has been tried. The only option is to send it to canon for a repair history and shutter count reading.

My Gearlist

Sunblack
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 24, 2012 17:54 as a reply to  @ MOkoFOko's post |  #83

Ouch! that's really a pity....i'll spend some $$$ to get shutter actuations.....really BAD! :mad: :confused:

MOkoFOko
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 24, 2012 17:56 |  #84

Sunblack wrote in post #14146730 (external link)
Ouch! that's really a pity....i'll spend some $$$ to get shutter actuations.....really BAD! :mad: :confused:

They shouldn't charge you for that. Paying the $10 to ship it should be all it takes.

My Gearlist

Sunblack
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 24, 2012 18:06 as a reply to  @ MOkoFOko's post |  #85

Uhm....i live 30km far Rome - IT there's a canon center in the city, let's see what they will charge for this info.....

StarJack
609 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 28, 2012 22:34 as a reply to  @ Sunblack's post |  #86

Well the install of Fedora to a usb stick went perfectly, and the install of gphoto2 said it completed. Using the shuttercount command it returns Label: Camera Status Information

And that's it. I was able to download pics off the CF card from the attached camera with shotwell so I know the OS see's the camera. :confused:

Regards,
Steve

StarJack
609 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 29, 2012 00:02 |  #87

Spent the time to install Ubuntu on an old desktop, can't get gphoto installed properly, too many different errors to even bother listing. So I go back to the T-60 I installed Fedora on via the most excellent instructions provided by moko, re-installed gphoto2, and it still doesn't return any shutter count result, yet it can -auto detect that my 40 d is attached...

Regards,
Steve

MOkoFOko
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 29, 2012 00:14 |  #88

StarJack wrote in post #14172612 (external link)
Well the install of Fedora to a usb stick went perfectly, and the install of gphoto2 said it completed. Using the shuttercount command it returns Label: Camera Status Information

And that's it. I was able to download pics off the CF card from the attached camera with shotwell so I know the OS see's the camera. :confused:

Which camera are you trying to get the count for? It seems like you're checking a camera that isn't supported. For the 40D, you could just use EOScount or 40Dcount.

This method is primarily for checking several of the newer bodies, like the t3i, 60d, 7d... Other, older bodies (minus the 5D) are supported by other methods.

My Gearlist

MOkoFOko
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 29, 2012 00:17 |  #89

StarJack wrote in post #14172938 (external link)
Spent the time to install Ubuntu on an old desktop, can't get gphoto installed properly, too many different errors to even bother listing. So I go back to the T-60 I installed Fedora on via the most excellent instructions provided by moko, re-installed gphoto2, and it still doesn't return any shutter count result, yet it can -auto detect that my 40 d is attached...

Also, there appears to be this hasslefree method which was recently posted:
https://photography-on-the.net …2&highlight=shu​tter+count

I haven't tried it myself--I just know from firsthand experience that I've gotten readings for my 7d/60d using gphoto2

My Gearlist

Sunblack
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 29, 2012 17:05 as a reply to  @ MOkoFOko's post |  #90

About what i post earlier (about canon 5Dc)......here some considerations/advices with a guy on another board:

"
Run first this commandline command with your 5D attached:
> gphoto2 --list-config --debug --debug-logfile=x1.log
>
> Then take 10 pictures with your 5D (just by pressing the shutter ;)
>
> The reattach it to the computer and run this commandline command:
> gphoto2 --list-config --debug --debug-logfile=x2.log
>
>
> After that, two files should be created, x1.log and x2.log, which
> are the debuglogfiles ... Attach them to your reply.

"
"
http://img853.imagesha​ck.us/img853/8817/sany​0516.jpg (external link)
Here the link to what gphoto2 says after: gphoto2 --list-config --debug --debug-logfile=x1.log command
that's nothing......
After shooted 10 pics after: gphoto2 --list-config --debug --debug-logfile=x2.log command
same identical response......
When software autor expects to fix 5D classic??

"
"
have you looked for the x1.log and x2.log file? (Should be in the folder you had opened when executing the command, judging from your screenshot it's in /root/)

I don't think the developers can fix your issues without your logs.

"
"
Well. The Fedora OS i used is resident on a CD rom. I'm a Windows user.
So i think that Fedora doesnt write nothing in the root, since the root is supposed to be the cd-rom.......isnt correct?
There's a possibility to change the command gphoto2 --list-config --debug --debug-logfile=x1.log to store the logs into another root? I.e. C:/ ? So i can read it onto windows?

"

About this last one, any solution?

sponsored links

144,787 views & 0 likes for this thread
Walkthrough: Install gphoto2 (read shutter count T2i, 7D, etc) on Linux LiveCD or USB
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.