Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jun 2011 (Wednesday) 05:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Walkthrough: Install gphoto2 (read shutter count T2i, 7D, etc) on Linux LiveCD or USB

bbrhuft
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 29, 2012 21:57 |  #91

Great instructions. Just found out my 2 year old 7D has shutter count of 35389. I'm happy with that.

Also, I had trouble recognising my camera at first. Error (-105: 'Unknown model')

But I guessed my external hard drive was confusing gphoto2. After disconnecting it and leaving only my 7D connected, I was able to connect to my camera and determine it's shutter count.

sponsored links
Sunblack
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 30, 2012 02:43 as a reply to  @ bbrhuft's post |  #92

Thanks about "Great instructions".....but i posted 'cause i'd like to have a reply from UNIX-Linux useers to help me......about last red sentences.....

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 30, 2012 21:41 |  #93

Sunblack wrote in post #14179382 (external link)
Thanks about "Great instructions".....but i posted 'cause i'd like to have a reply from UNIX-Linux useers to help me......about last red sentences.....

I think the bottom line is that this is impossible with the 5D "classic". Not with gphoto2 or anything else - the camera simply does not make this information available via the USB interface. (I'm getting that mostly from this thread)

StarJack
609 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 31, 2012 00:21 |  #94

MOkoFOko wrote in post #14172994 (external link)
Also, there appears to be this hasslefree method which was recently posted:
https://photography-on-the.net …2&highlight=shu​tter+count

I haven't tried it myself--I just know from firsthand experience that I've gotten readings for my 7d/60d using gphoto2

MOkoFOko, I never got gphoto to respond with a shuttercount even though it detected the cameras, but this link worked like a champ.
I was able to confirm it was accurate since I'd used eosinfo on the 40D, and the results matched. Thank you for the link!

Regards,
Steve

WaltA
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 16, 2012 10:31 |  #95

MOkoFOko wrote in post #14146357 (external link)
This is correct--there is absolutely no way to get an actuation reading for a 5D mk1. Everything has been tried. The only option is to send it to canon for a repair history and shutter count reading.

Just installed the LiveCd for Fedora (for other reasons) and thought I'd check out this thread.

The "Supported cameras" page (external link) says it does work with the 5dc. Is that new?

Will try it tonight on mine.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 16, 2012 21:10 |  #96

WaltA wrote in post #14866093 (external link)
Just installed the LiveCd for Fedora (for other reasons) and thought I'd check out this thread.

The "Supported cameras" page (external link) says it does work with the 5dc. Is that new?

I doubt it will work. They are saying that gphoto2 can talk to a 5Dc. Meaning it can get photos off it, at least. But the 5Dc will not report its shutter count, as far as I know.

WaltA
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 17, 2012 11:08 |  #97

lar55 wrote in post #14868502 (external link)
I doubt it will work. They are saying that gphoto2 can talk to a 5Dc. Meaning it can get photos off it, at least. But the 5Dc will not report its shutter count, as far as I know.

Your right. I just tested the XTi and 5Dc (in PC and PTP mode) and it does talk to the camera but can't get the shutter count.

Walt

MOkoFOko
THREAD ­ STARTER
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 17, 2012 16:33 |  #98

WaltA wrote in post #14866093 (external link)

It has been commented on elsewhere, and it will not provide a readout for a 5Dc. It is one of the few bodies that is a mystery to all but Canon.

My Gearlist

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 21, 2012 13:01 |  #99

I'm going to have to give this a go, I have an old Mac Mini G4 (10.4) so it can't run any of the port applications. :(

Joel

WaltA
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 21, 2012 13:57 |  #100

MOkoFOko wrote in post #14871844 (external link)
It has been commented on elsewhere, and it will not provide a readout for a 5Dc. It is one of the few bodies that is a mystery to all but Canon.

Agree - but was hoping anyway. Both the guys building the hack for the 5dc and my self (using the SDK) have been unable to get to that counter.

Walt

MOkoFOko
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 21, 2012 15:20 |  #101

WaltA wrote in post #14887794 (external link)
Agree - but was hoping anyway. Both the guys building the hack for the 5dc and my self (using the SDK) have been unable to get to that counter.

Probably not worth the effort. If you have a paid CPS membership and send it in with your cleaning coupon, you can get a readout for free. Just ends up costing you the $10 to ship to them.

My Gearlist

WaltA
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 21, 2012 15:30 |  #102

Not actually looking for it for me. As I mentioned I write software for remote control of EOS cameras (and others as well). There was a requirement from a customer to compare shutter count before and after flight - they use UAVs for geologic surveys. And I only have a 5D and XTi in my development lab.

Walt

MOkoFOko
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 21, 2012 16:01 |  #103

WaltA wrote in post #14888201 (external link)
Not actually looking for it for me. As I mentioned I write software for remote control of EOS cameras (and others as well). There was a requirement from a customer to compare shutter count before and after flight - they use UAVs for geologic surveys. And I only have a 5D and XTi in my development lab.

Neato, I wish you luck then. But it would probably be better to just invest in practically any other body--since it's only the 5D, and the early non-1D/1Ds Digic I/II bodies that cannot be read.

My Gearlist

WaltA
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 21, 2012 16:35 |  #104

MOkoFOko wrote in post #14888372 (external link)
Neato, I wish you luck then. But it would probably be better to just invest in practically any other body--since it's only the 5D, and the early non-1D/1Ds Digic I/II bodies that cannot be read.

Yeah, as soon as I get my programming hobby to subsidise my photography hobby - maybe an upgrade in my future.

Walt

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 23, 2012 09:46 |  #105

Just tried it and glad to say it worked with a XSi, T3i, and 60D. Though for some weird reason it was unable to identify the T3i when doing an auto detect, it was listed as a generic USB camera.

Thanks for the walkthrough MOkoFOko! :D

EDIT: Also flawless with my 7D today.

Joel

sponsored links

144,769 views & 0 likes for this thread
Walkthrough: Install gphoto2 (read shutter count T2i, 7D, etc) on Linux LiveCD or USB
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.