Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jun 2011 (Wednesday) 05:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Walkthrough: Install gphoto2 (read shutter count T2i, 7D, etc) on Linux LiveCD or USB

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 14, 2013 09:54 |  #121

I just tried this with a 1D Mark II and although gphoto detects the camera properly when I try to get the shutter count I get this:

Label: Camera Status Information

Joel

sponsored links
xerxes2013
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 01, 2013 01:50 |  #122

Please help me determine what I'm doing wrong. I boot from a USB thumb drive, enter into Fedora, get to the terminal screen, and entered the commands as written. GPhoto2 installed and updated itself by downloading some files from the internet, then I got to the part where I connect my camera (Canon 7D) and turn it on. I did that, but received no prompt identifying my camera. I then retried the commands above, removing the spaces, etc. from the "shuttercounter" command, but nothing worked. Please see the errors indicated in the photos. I'm running Windows 7 Home premium on a PC.

Thanks!

Xerxes

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i129.photobucke​t.com …vi/photo1_zps08​938f85.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

http://i129.photobucke​t.com …vi/photo2_zpsc8​e91642.jpg (external link)

http://i129.photobucke​t.com …vi/photo3_zps79​a562bd.jpg (external link)

Canon 7D, Canon 350D
Hobbyist photographer with dreams of pro-photographer grandeur. I have a lot to learn, but I'm enjoying the lessons.

xerxes2013
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 01, 2013 06:22 |  #123

Nevermind. I found a better and faster solution, that took all of 2 minutes to download and receive my shutter count. The software is free; just decline the toolbars, etc. (junk) that it asks you to install with it. I declined all of the junk, and the shutter count software works great, very easy, and best of all, it's free. I scanned it with Norton, and it's fine. Here's the link:

http://www.shutteractu​ations.com/?did=1 (external link)

I hope this helps others. Now I know the used 7D shutter count stated by the seller was correct.

Xerxes

Canon 7D, Canon 350D
Hobbyist photographer with dreams of pro-photographer grandeur. I have a lot to learn, but I'm enjoying the lessons.

MOkoFOko
THREAD ­ STARTER
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 01, 2013 20:47 |  #124

xerxes2013 wrote in post #16258017 (external link)
Nevermind. I found a better and faster solution, that took all of 2 minutes to download and receive my shutter count. The software is free; just decline the toolbars, etc. (junk) that it asks you to install with it. I declined all of the junk, and the shutter count software works great, very easy, and best of all, it's free. I scanned it with Norton, and it's fine. Here's the link:

http://www.shutteractu​ations.com/?did=1 (external link)

I hope this helps others. Now I know the used 7D shutter count stated by the seller was correct.

Xerxes

That site doesn't exactly look reputable. Poor, broken english, no way to directly upload a photo without installing software (even though the comments say you could in the past). Very sketchy. Use at your own risk. I'm not even sure what you're supposed to click on to download their software. And passing one AV check doesn't fill me with confidence.

You must have missed a step above, as I've seen that error before. I guess it doesn't matter though, since you found a solution that works for you.  :p

My Gearlist

snnamagh
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2007

Dec 24, 2014 14:47 |  #125

Hi there, I know it's been quite a while since this thread started. I followed all the instruction last night and was able to communicate with my second hand Canon 1D mark iii which I recently bought. I have used Fedora 21 and gphoto2 as per software. I can see it does recognize the Canon 1D mark iii, but does not return anything to "gphoto2 --get-config=/main/status/sh​attercounter" command.
Any help greatly appreciated.

MOkoFOko
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 15, 2015 21:15 |  #126

snnamagh wrote in post #17349366 (external link)
Hi there, I know it's been quite a while since this thread started. I followed all the instruction last night and was able to communicate with my second hand Canon 1D mark iii which I recently bought. I have used Fedora 21 and gphoto2 as per software. I can see it does recognize the Canon 1D mark iii, but does not return anything to "gphoto2 --get-config=/main/status/sh​attercounter" command.

If I recall, it didn't work with my 1d3. Certain bodies, you just have to send in to canon to get an accurate count... There are a few services that claim to provide an accurate reading if you pay them money--no idea if they actually work.

My Gearlist

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,627 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 15, 2015 21:22 |  #127

snnamagh wrote in post #17349366 (external link)
Hi there, I know it's been quite a while since this thread started. I followed all the instruction last night and was able to communicate with my second hand Canon 1D mark iii which I recently bought. I have used Fedora 21 and gphoto2 as per software. I can see it does recognize the Canon 1D mark iii, but does not return anything to "gphoto2 --get-config=/main/status/shattercounter" command.

If you input this verbatim, souldn't it be a u?

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

MOkoFOko
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 15, 2015 21:34 |  #128

MakisM1 wrote in post #17476688 (external link)
If you input this verbatim, souldn't it be a u?

Nice catch hawkeye :D My mind completely glossed over the user input. In any case, I'm fairly certain the 1d3 isn't compatible with gphoto2. I sent mine into canon for a readout prior to selling, and I never would have done that if I was successful with gphoto2.

My Gearlist

sponsored links

144,839 views & 0 likes for this thread
Walkthrough: Install gphoto2 (read shutter count T2i, 7D, etc) on Linux LiveCD or USB
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.