Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 15:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first iPad photo book

LordBrian
Goldmember
1,128 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 23, 2011 15:02 |  #1

Ok I don't want this to sound like an advert but I'd like to share my experience creating my first iPad app that essentially sells my pictures.

I had been to Kenya in Dec 2009 and taken some great shots, I originally did some photo books for family and friends who really liked the book. Now I know this doesn't make me a pro but I had the idea to make them into an iPad app late last year.

The app itself was quite easy to create. I code for a living. I thought the best option would be to use a flip book style where the user swipes the page to move from one image to the next.

The only clever bit was using the existing EXIF data and fields to add more info to each photo, things like geo location and descriptions so I didn't have to put in a database.

IMAGE: http://www.depicus.com/africa/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Screenshot-2011.06.14-20.07.50-640x480.png

So down to the nitty gritty .... sales. Well not huge but the project was more about could it be done rather than making a million. So far 13 sold in 3 days.

My big concern was pricing too low, I went in at $5.99 which although I still think is low is quite high for app store pricing. I also think putting it in the books section might have been a mistake. I am doing no marketing so this is really a see how it goes app.

That's my experience, if you have any questions feel free to ask and I do have about 20 free codes if anybody wants a copy, just pm me.

Canon 7D | EF 100-400mm L my favourite bits of kit
http://blog.depicus.co​m (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Vimeo (external link) - 500px (external link)

sponsored links
barkingspud
511 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 23, 2011 15:10 |  #2

Looks cool. You have a PM

Zolth
121 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 23, 2011 15:32 |  #3

I'm sorry if I'm not understanding this correctly... is the app a photobook of YOUR pictures that people get to look at, or is it an app that allows the user to upload their own pictures and it will display them, and the EXIF data, and location on screen?

If it gives the user the ability to make their own photobooks, that would be really cool, and I'd be all over it if I had an iPad.

If it's of your photography only, that's still quite cool, assuming you have a "fan following" and people are clambering to see your newest uploads.

EDIT: Also, what's the name of the app?

LordBrian
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,128 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 23, 2011 15:56 |  #4

Zolth wrote in post #12646238 (external link)
I'm sorry if I'm not understanding this correctly... is the app a photobook of YOUR pictures that people get to look at, or is it an app that allows the user to upload their own pictures and it will display them, and the EXIF data, and location on screen?

If it gives the user the ability to make their own photobooks, that would be really cool, and I'd be all over it if I had an iPad.

If it's of your photography only, that's still quite cool, assuming you have a "fan following" and people are clambering to see your newest uploads.

EDIT: Also, what's the name of the app?

Sorry should have said, it's a photobook of my images although I love the idea of letting users do their own that sounds very cool indeed.

It's called Kenya Safari and here is a link http://itunes.apple.co​m …a-safari/id441134101?mt=​8 (external link)

http://blog.depicus.co​m (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Vimeo (external link) - 500px (external link)

bigrob
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jun 24, 2011 15:33 |  #5

Brian

Well done but I don't think you'll make a million on this one.

If you can create the app so it creates the photobook for other people then great. If this photobook can then be stored in "the cloud" for people to share with friends, then you could be on to a winner.

n.b. with the weather we're having you may as well stay inside and get coding.....

I ­ weston ­ I
334 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 04, 2011 21:21 |  #6

People download millions of apps every day on the iPad/iPod/iPhone and on the android market. I haven't seen recent stats, but a huge majority are free apps. Have you thought about making a "lite" version to get the word out on your work? something that has a small number of pictures and will link to the full version at the end?

Also, not sure how app store sales go, but with the android market, free apps have ads that contribute to the app store and the creator. Just something to think about.

Nikon D7000, Nikon D3100 18-105mm VR, 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 70-300mm VR

LordBrian
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,128 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 05, 2011 02:17 |  #7

I weston I wrote in post #12704979 (external link)
People download millions of apps every day on the iPad/iPod/iPhone and on the android market. I haven't seen recent stats, but a huge majority are free apps. Have you thought about making a "lite" version to get the word out on your work? something that has a small number of pictures and will link to the full version at the end?

Also, not sure how app store sales go, but with the android market, free apps have ads that contribute to the app store and the creator. Just something to think about.

Thanks, am working on a new version. The ad's are an idea but not really anywhere to put them without redoing the app. To be honest it was a test project just to try a few things, getting about 1/2 sales a day so not going to retire any time soon.

The lite version I will look into.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 05, 2011 09:27 |  #8

Do the app that lets people easily create their own books, it'll sell.

troutfisher
Goldmember
1,665 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 05, 2011 10:15 |  #9

rick_reno wrote in post #12707020 (external link)

I know two people who would jump at an app like that.

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

lankforddl
747 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 05, 2011 10:22 as a reply to  @ troutfisher's post |  #10

Very cool LordBrian. unasema Kiswahili?

Ninasema Kiswahili kidogo, na pengini nitahamu safiri Kenya.

5DIICAN17-40CAN50CAN85CAN100CAN135CAN70-200

LordBrian
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,128 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 05, 2011 12:08 |  #11

troutfisher wrote in post #12707277 (external link)
I know two people who would jump at an app like that.

:D Working on it now....

LordBrian
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,128 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 05, 2011 12:09 |  #12

lankforddl wrote in post #12707308 (external link)
Very cool LordBrian. unasema Kiswahili?

Ninasema Kiswahili kidogo, na pengini nitahamu safiri Kenya.

Sadly no but on my list of things to learn...;)

lankforddl
747 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 05, 2011 22:25 |  #13

LordBrian wrote in post #12707836 (external link)
Sadly no but on my list of things to learn...;)

My fellow college classmates took Spanish, French, German, and I took the road less traveled with Swahili. It's impossible to find someone to Speak it with.

Good luck with the app!

5DIICAN17-40CAN50CAN85CAN100CAN135CAN70-200

LordBrian
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,128 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 06, 2011 06:07 |  #14

lankforddl wrote in post #12710780 (external link)
My fellow college classmates took Spanish, French, German, and I took the road less traveled with Swahili. It's impossible to find someone to Speak it with.

Good luck with the app!

Thanks :) You could always take a trip to Kenya - can recomend it ;)

I ­ weston ­ I
334 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 06, 2011 16:21 |  #15

rick_reno wrote in post #12707020 (external link)

That would be a gold mine for pro photographers to take on location, or to sales pitches to hold a portfolio.

Nikon D7000, Nikon D3100 18-105mm VR, 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 70-300mm VR

sponsored links

3,910 views & 0 likes for this thread
My first iPad photo book
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.