Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 25 Jun 2011 (Saturday) 12:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How To View Two Images in CS5

scrumpy
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 25, 2011 12:51 |  #1

Probably a dumb question, but how can I have two images open in the same window in CS5.
The two images are tabbed at the top of the window, I need to have them open together in one window.

Thanks for any help.

David: Canon EOS 400D - Canon EF70-300mm f/4-55.6 IS USM -Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC Macro - Sigma 50-500 'Bigma' - Speedlite 580EX 11 - Better Beamer
Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy ;)

sponsored links
tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 25, 2011 12:59 |  #2

scrumpy wrote in post #12655907 (external link)
Probably a dumb question, but how can I have two images open in the same window in CS5.
The two images are tabbed at the top of the window, I need to have them open together in one window.

Thanks for any help.

Not in the same window but side by side. Open both image and then click the Arrange Documents Icon at the top of PS.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Or you can just open them as Windows rather than Tabs. If they are already open as Tabs just left click your mouse on the tab and drag it down and release. OR right click and select Move To New Window.

HOSTED PHOTO

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 25, 2011 13:15 |  #3

If you want both images side by side in the same document window. Open both images, and then on one of them Increase the Canvas Size ( Image / Canvas Size, or Alt + Ctrl+ C) Then double the width and then with the Move tool Drag and drop the other open image onto that image and align it onto the black space.

HOSTED PHOTO

To Drag and drop one document onto another you can either click the Arrange Documents Icon to open them side by side, and then use the Move Tool to drag and drop. Or you can just use the move tool, Click the left mouse button on the picture that you want to move, while holding down the left mouse button slide up to the tab of the image you want to move it to. Don't release the mouse button. That will activate the document tab of the image you are moving to. Still holding the left mouse button move down onto the image and then drop/release the mouse button. Now that picture is on a new layer. You can move it around to align it in place over the blank area you created when you increased the canvas size.

Tim Kerr

scrumpy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 25, 2011 13:31 |  #4

Thank you tkerr. I need to merge two RAW exposures of the same image. Great help, thanks.

David: Canon EOS 400D - Canon EF70-300mm f/4-55.6 IS USM -Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC Macro - Sigma 50-500 'Bigma' - Speedlite 580EX 11 - Better Beamer

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 25, 2011 13:55 |  #5

scrumpy wrote in post #12656036 (external link)
Thank you tkerr. I need to merge two RAW exposures of the same image. Great help, thanks.

You can use Adobe Bridge, select the images and then under Tools / Photoshop / Load Files into Photoshop Layers.

Or from Photoshop Under the File Menu you've got Automate / Photomerge
Or File / Scripts / Load Files into Stack.

Photomerge can be used to create a Panorama, and Load files into stack will open the files into layers for one document. Then you can align manually, or use Edit / Auto Align Layers.
Just loading them into Layers won't allow you to view them side by side. But it will let you merge them in a variety of ways.

Tim Kerr

scrumpy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 25, 2011 15:52 |  #6

Cheers it worked a treat.

jobv2
561 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 25, 2011 16:02 |  #7

tkerr wrote in post #12656117 (external link)
You can use Adobe Bridge, select the images and then under Tools / Photoshop / Load Files into Photoshop Layers.

Or from Photoshop Under the File Menu you've got Automate / Photomerge
Or File / Scripts / Load Files into Stack.

Photomerge can be used to create a Panorama, and Load files into stack will open the files into layers for one document. Then you can align manually, or use Edit / Auto Align Layers.
Just loading them into Layers won't allow you to view them side by side. But it will let you merge them in a variety of ways.

nice!! i never knew

1D Mark iin, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4, 580ex ii, android, two left feet
gear| feedback
:cool:

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 25, 2011 16:18 |  #8

scrumpy wrote in post #12656036 (external link)

Same image, dual conversion?

I'd open the CR2 as a smart object, then go Layer > Smart Object > New Smart Object via Copy.

This second smart object can be adjusted individually. (If you use Cmd+J to copy a SO, it will share adjustments with the original)

To drag and drop in a tabbed PS environment:
Select Move tool, drag first image, keep mouse pressed, hover over second images tab until it opens, move mouse over image, release mouse. Keep shift pressed to align. ;)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 25, 2011 17:27 |  #9

René Damkot wrote in post #12656629 (external link)
Same image, dual conversion?

I'd open the CR2 as a smart object, then go Layer > Smart Object > New Smart Object via Copy.

This second smart object can be adjusted individually. (If you use Cmd+J to copy a SO, it will share adjustments with the original)

Yeah, sorry, I neglected to mention working with Smart Objects. Opening images as Smart Objects has multiple benefits. If you're opening a Raw Image into PS from ACR, you can either set it up in ACR's workflow options to open your images into PS as Smart Objects, or hold down the shift key when in ACR and the Open Image Icon will change to Open Object.

One of my favorite options available when opening images as smart objects is that you can work back and forth between PS and ACR. Aka, Double Processing.

René Damkot wrote in post #12656629 (external link)
To drag and drop in a tabbed PS environment:
Select Move tool, drag first image, keep mouse pressed, hover over second images tab until it opens, move mouse over image, release mouse. Keep shift pressed to align. ;)

Another good tip about holding the shift key while dragging. However, you don't need to hold shift if you're going to move an image onto an expanded Canvas.
To align the second image on the blank area of the expanded canvas, you can either do it manually using the move tool on the active layer.
OR
Make sure the layer that you want to move is active, and with the move tool still selected press Ctrl + A or Select / ALL, Then you can use the Alignment tools on the tool bar

HOSTED PHOTO

or under the Layer menu choose Align Layers to Selection.

HOSTED PHOTO

Tim Kerr

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 25, 2011 23:20 as a reply to  @ tkerr's post |  #10

Thanks for the pointers. Good to know. ;)

| Canon EOS Systems |

scrumpy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 26, 2011 04:45 |  #11

Thanks everyone. The technique I was trying to follow is here:

http://www.photoanswer​s.co.uk …-the-Split-RAW-technique/ (external link)

Just found it a mystery why I couldn't see both images open.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 26, 2011 09:09 |  #12

scrumpy wrote in post #12659007 (external link)

He's using the "old fashioned" PS interface:

Untick the box above the circled one. (And the circled one as well if you prefer):
(Sorry, older screenshot ;))

IMAGE: https://img.skitch.com/20090404-b2571uubxt2uysxm1869c9wrs3.jpg

Alternatively:

IMAGE: https://img.skitch.com/20090330-q1qftfk61pb8pewpp9qmipni47.jpg

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 26, 2011 10:03 |  #13

scrumpy wrote in post #12659007 (external link)
Thanks everyone. The technique I was trying to follow is here:

http://www.photoanswer​s.co.uk …-the-Split-RAW-technique/ (external link)

That just appears to be another method of Double Processing with ACR. Review the following video to see another method of achieving the same thing.
http://tv.adobe.com …-processing-in-camera-raw (external link)

But neither double processing method really has anything to do with the ability to view two images in the same window. That's just a matter of viewing in Tabs or Windows. what you want is to view in windows. Aside from how René just showed you, you can also do like I described in my first reply.

Tim Kerr

scrumpy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 26, 2011 15:34 |  #14

Thanks Rene - that solved that issue!

And thanks again tkerr, I think your video demonstrates a better/easier method than the one I was trying to follow.

Been a member here for seven years and it just goes to show you only need to ask! Thanks all.

sponsored links

5,257 views & 0 likes for this thread
How To View Two Images in CS5
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.