Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Jun 2011 (Sunday) 16:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Observing a pro , I got questions.

shayneyasinski
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 26, 2011 16:19 |  #1

Attending a wedding I saw the pro using a light meter,She would have her assistant take a reading and then tell her what f stop to use, I later asked her about it and she said I would not understand and walked away.....

I felt the need at that time to go to my car get my 5D with a 24-70L , 7D with the 70-200 2.8 IS , and shoot a few beside her and her d40,, OK i am a jerk I know, but I asked her nice way befor anyone that needed to be shot was there.

I just don't know why one would need a light meter, or am I a moron??

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

sponsored links
jra
Cream of the Crop
6,566 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 26, 2011 16:32 |  #2

Maybe she was busy and didn't have the time to explain her procedures to someone....or maybe she was just rude. Either way, I think your response was also quite rude and out of line.....what exactly were you attempting to prove?

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 26, 2011 16:35 |  #3

..... That he would have understood. I guess. Or deserved attention.

So, was she correct?

She was manually controlling exposure for the subject. In other words, she was making absolutely sure that her exposure was dead on.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 26, 2011 16:35 |  #4

Your on-board meter can't read non-ETTL flash so how else do you set your exposure?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 26, 2011 16:41 |  #5

I would say that what the OP did was "feel the need" to be a jerk. It doesn't sound like he acted on it. I would say that doesn't make him a jerk or rude.

That being said if FlyingPhotog is right. "my camera and my flash don't share info" takes as much time to say as "you wouldn't understand"

Photographers should always be careful how they act around the public (as with any service based business). The person she acted rude to could have been the wealthy cousin that was planning their daughters 2 million dollar wedding (or not).

All that being said, I would think non-ETTL flash makes sense. Also, "old habits die hard."

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 26, 2011 17:57 |  #6

Probably was busy making sure everything was set up correctly.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 26, 2011 18:04 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

MattPharmD wrote in post #12661254 (external link)
I would say that what the OP did was "feel the need" to be a jerk. It doesn't sound like he acted on it. I would say that doesn't make him a jerk or rude.

That being said if FlyingPhotog is right. "my camera and my flash don't share info" takes as much time to say as "you wouldn't understand"

Photographers should always be careful how they act around the public (as with any service based business). The person she acted rude to could have been the wealthy cousin that was planning their daughters 2 million dollar wedding (or not).

All that being said, I would think non-ETTL flash makes sense. Also, "old habits die hard."

I think she needs to work on her customer service....:) Frankly, she could have said something like "I just need to make sure I am getting the correct light reading...." The OP would be on his way and end of story. I am not sure what sort of photographer is she but being a photographer you need good PR and people skills, and has the ability to connect to people very quickly. Maybe she has weddings scheduled up to her neck...:)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 26, 2011 18:16 |  #8

shayneyasinski wrote in post #12661181 (external link)
Attending a wedding I saw the pro using a light meter,She would have her assistant take a reading and then tell her what f stop to use, I later asked her about it and she said I would not understand and walked away.....

Just curious but how exactly did you word your question?

Did you give any indication that you enjoy photography yourself and that you're interested in learning or did you make some passing comment that was supposed to make you sound like you already know a thing or three?

I ask because there are times when I'll answer any question and then there are times where I can't or won't take the time to address every little thing that's tossed my way. There has to be some "meat on the bones" so I know that taking the time, right now, is actually worthwhile.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 26, 2011 18:19 |  #9

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12661691 (external link)
Just curious but how exactly did you word your question?

Did you give any indication that you enjoy photography yourself and that you're interested in learning or did you make some passing comment that was supposed to make you sound like you already know a thing or three?

I ask because there are times when I'll answer any question and then there are times where I can't or won't take the time to address every little thing that's tossed my way. There has to be some "meat on the bones" so I know that taking the time, right now, is actually worthwhile.

Yup. Completely agreed. Also, just b/c she didn't look like she wasn't doing anything, it doesn't mean she wasn't actually busy. I'll sometimes stand at the venue not doing anything but in actuality I would be thinking and scoping things out, reviewing things to make sure every aspect is covered. So if someone approaches me when I am doing this, I might not be so accommodating. It of course also depends on the topic. If it's something simple I can answer in less than 10 seconds, then, yeah, no problem.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 26, 2011 18:21 |  #10

Nothing we own makes us nice people.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,521 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 26, 2011 18:28 |  #11

shayneyasinski wrote in post #12661181 (external link)

I felt the need at that time to go to my car get my 5D with a 24-70L , 7D with the 70-200 2.8 IS , and shoot a few beside her and her d40,, OK i am a jerk I know, but I asked her nice way befor anyone that needed to be shot was there.

I just don't know why one would need a light meter, or am I a moron??

She was busy, your thinking that she would be impressed that you can afford a 5D and 70-200 is juvenile. There are plenty of well heeled and clueless photographers out there that she will doubless not be impressed by one more. Do you think owning that gear makes you better than her?

What she was doing was using her flashes remotely and manually. I would bet that she uses RF triggers that do not allow E-TTL (as E-TTL RF triggers are a pretty recent invention and they are not cheap at all). She sets the flashes to fire full power and controls the resulting exposure by changing the aperture of the camera. This is quick and easy and allows her to set the flashes once and control the light levels from the camera instead of having to walk back over to each flash to adjust the power level. Using a light meter is pretty much standard for this type of set-up.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,355 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 26, 2011 18:30 |  #12

I probably would have responded with something along the lines of "Nice attitude, biotch." and walked off myself. Insulting someone's intelligence like she did isn't cool, especially in a business that depends on networking and customer service. Why do so many photographers act like they're a member of some special priesthood that can't be seen mixing with the commoners? People ask me technical questions all the time and I really do know they won't understand the answer, but I at least try to respond with a few simple words.

shayneyasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 26, 2011 18:33 |  #13

JeffreyG wrote in post #12661761 (external link)
She was busy, your thinking that she would be impressed that you can afford a 5D and 70-200 is juvenile. There are plenty of well heeled and clueless photographers out there that she will doubless not be impressed by one more. Do yout think owning that gear makes you better than her?

What she was doing was using her flashes remotely and manually. She sets the flashes to fire full power and controls the resulting exposure by changing the aperture of the camera. This is quick and easy and allows her to set the flashes once and control the light levels from the camera instead of having to walk back over to each flash to adjust the power level.

She had no flash or strobes, just a nikon d40 and a light meter.

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 26, 2011 18:37 |  #14

shayneyasinski wrote in post #12661779 (external link)

Might be this then...

MattPharmD wrote in post #12661254 (external link)
Also, "old habits die hard."

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,521 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 26, 2011 18:44 |  #15

shayneyasinski wrote in post #12661779 (external link)

Then she was just measuring the correct exposure at the locations she expected to shoot. I have an incident light meter too, and it is certainly a better choice than the camera's reflective meter.

Usually you don't need to measure a bunch of different spots in one room, but perhaps this room was not lit very evenly.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links

9,432 views & 0 likes for this thread
Observing a pro , I got questions.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.