Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Jun 2011 (Sunday) 16:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Observing a pro , I got questions.

shayneyasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 28, 2011 13:56 |  #61

nathancarter wrote in post #12671752 (external link)
Regardless of how the OP acted, the paid wedding photographer should have said something like "I'm really sorry, but I need to concentrate on my work right now, and can't really chat while I'm working." Polite, professional, and to the point.

"You wouldn't understand" was unnecessary, presumptuous, and downright rude.

Allstar hockey weekend had a bunch of photo guys working local rink, I ask the guy about his setup, his reply was ''Just setiing up our lighting right now so I can not talk but here is my card , come see me at the a/v room in 2 hours we can talk then" That guy was amazing, showed me his gear and how they shoot and get files in order , emailed me that there is a canon sale and I bought my 70-200 2.8 IS that next week, we still talk every few months he is a real pro!

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

sponsored links
shayneyasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 28, 2011 13:57 |  #62

kjonnnn wrote in post #12672097 (external link)
300 Weddings and not familiar with the light meter?

With strobes yes without not so much..

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 28, 2011 13:59 |  #63

shayneyasinski wrote in post #12661181 (external link)
I just don't know why one would need a light meter, or am I a moron??

So she was right and you wouldn't understand.

Gear List

whuband
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 28, 2011 14:07 as a reply to  @ Numenorean's post |  #64

5 pages!!! The OP must have struck a nerve.

1D4, 6D, 7D2, Sony a6000 with Sony16-70, Rokinon 12mmf2, Canon lenses: 17-40L, 17-55 f2.8, 10-22, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 300mm 2.8 IS, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bees.

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,955 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Jun 28, 2011 14:08 |  #65

whuband wrote in post #12672181 (external link)
5 pages!!! The OP must have struck a nerve.

Its only 2 pages for me ;) If it was 5 on my end then it really struck a nerve :lol:

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 28, 2011 14:40 |  #66

kjonnnn wrote in post #12671995 (external link)
LOL. Would this scenario happen if the photographer was some other professional?

Perhaps.

I'm a pretty accomplished home mechanic. I'd be annoyed if I asked a professional mechanic a question about the torque angle gauge he's using, only to be told that I wouldn't understand. If he said "Can't talk, I'm busy," that's one thing; if he said "you wouldn't understand," he'd be both wrong and rude at the same time.

(actually, he would probably say "what the heck are you doing in my shop, get outta here")

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
6,674 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 29, 2011 02:16 |  #67
bannedPermanent ban

I wonder what was precisely stated in her contract: was she hired to take pictures of the event only, or was she supposed to educate guests as well?
All of them or only the dicks who believe that owning a better gear will make them a better dick?

The OP got the answer he deserves, if you ask me..

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 03, 2011 01:16 |  #68

nicksan wrote in post #12668884 (external link)
I can shoot a wedding with a Digital Rebel just fine actually. Certainly an argument can be made about the fact that she was shooting a D40 but I think that's inconsequential to this discussion and the only reason why it was mentioned was because the OP brought it up to prove a point I suppose.

The reality is we don't know what the situation was. We haven't seen her photos. I don't make judgements based on the gear someone is shooting with. The proof is in the pudding...that is, the photos.

yeah a Rebel with L quality lenses :p
Equipment is indeed very important. You simply not match the results of cheap crap with those produced by pro gear. I am sure I would manage to shoot a wedding with my current gear and still get better results than a so called professional with Rebel and kit lenses. If you shoot RAW some slight under/overexposure in PP :rolleyes:

I think you guys should watch this first:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=RjBSIvg3pjc (external link)

charging clients thousands of dollars while using equipment worth a few hundred is just pathetic

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

AntonLargiader
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 03, 2011 05:46 |  #69

1000 posts and you still think it's all about the gear?

T2i . 18-55 IS . 70-300 IS USM . 70-200 2.8L IS . 28mm 1.8 . 100 Macro . 430EX II . TT1/TT5 . Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 w/3265 ball-mount

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 03, 2011 06:02 |  #70

1000 posts and you still haven't seen this part of the forum?
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=107

and I never said it's all about gear...
if you claim to be a pro you better have some serious gear to match your skills :rolleyes:

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

ralff
766 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 03, 2011 06:04 |  #71

shayneyasinski wrote in post #12661181 (external link)
Attending a wedding I saw the pro using a light meter,She would have her assistant take a reading and then tell her what f stop to use, I later asked her about it and she said I would not understand and walked away.....

I felt the need at that time to go to my car get my 5D with a 24-70L , 7D with the 70-200 2.8 IS , and shoot a few beside her and her d40,, OK i am a jerk I know, but I asked her nice way befor anyone that needed to be shot was there.

I just don't know why one would need a light meter, or am I a moron??

Maybe your last sentence is the key. She probably assumed that either you did not know much about photography, since you didn't know what a light meter is used for, or you were a moron and why waste her time explaining? Everyone now thinks they are a photog since they own a DSLR and she is probably always getting interrupted with a thousand questions while she is trying to do her job, do you shoot wedding professionally?

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - gripped, Canon 50D - gripped, EFS10-22mm, 17-40 f4 L, nifty-fifty, EF 28-135mm IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 ProD Macro, Benbo Trekker, Feisol 3371 w/ Kirk BH-3 ball head - Epson Pic-Mate, Epson 2200, Epson 3880 :D http://www.flickr.com/​photos/WNC_Ralph (external link)

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
39,494 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 03, 2011 06:23 |  #72

Of course, it could be said that someone who really knew about photography wouldn't have had to ask the question in the first place!

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 03, 2011 17:44 |  #73

Roy Mathers wrote in post #12696738 (external link)
Of course, it could be said that someone who really knew about photography wouldn't have had to ask the question in the first place!

Precisely Roy - I'm surprised this thread has run for so long as it has anyway, as the OP is making a fuss over nothing.

David

David

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
39,494 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 03, 2011 17:59 |  #74

Agreed.

pilsburypie
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 04, 2011 14:29 |  #75

Great stuff. The boys from England have sorted this sorry mess out once and for all.

Tea anyone?!

Mark
Gear List

sponsored links

9,466 views & 0 likes for this thread
Observing a pro , I got questions.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.