Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 27 Jun 2011 (Monday) 15:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bikography -- The Biking Photog In Action!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 27, 2011 15:03 |  #1

Recently a thread started that was about restoring a damaged bicycle and using it, not just for transportation but for photography. It has stirred up some interest, because a number of folks here are not just enthusiastic about their photography but are active bicyclists as well!

You can see the activity here in the Biking Photog Thread -- we've been having fun!

And so we have decided to start a photo sharing thread that is dedicated to the joining of these two hobbies and sharing the results. This will be a thread dedicated to biking photography for those who, when you go out on your bikes, bring a camera and purpose to use it. This is the place to come back to and post your images.

I personally am pretty pumped about this and have started my own gallery/collection on my PBase Web host, The Biking Photog Gallery (external link).

So, come one, come all, you who love to get out on your bikes -- grab your camera and pack it with you and then prepare to stop and capture those images! On a bike, it is so easy to just pull over and stop, grab your camera and snap photos of things of interest that, if you were driving you may never even notice, have a way of pulling over, or just be too "in a hurry".

So this thread is for sharing those photos...so, grab your camera, hop on your bike, ready, set, go!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links
TheLostVertex
520 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 27, 2011 15:05 |  #2

Bikeography flickr page! (external link)

If you ever are looking to head out but have no where to go heres some stuff that I do.

Obvious starters for good locations to head off to are your basic map services like http://maps.google.com​/ (external link) Quick tip for finding bike lanes and trails on google maps. On the top right side where it says traffic, hover over that and enable the Bicycling option. This shows bike lanes and trails that google knows of as green lines in the area. Another good way to find a place you want to go is to just toss on the photo option form the same menu and browse around. Once you see a cool photo marked in a location its time to go out and have your take at it :)

You also have dedicated trail finding services like http://www.trails.com/​trails.aspx (external link) or http://www.traillink.c​om/trailsearch.aspx (external link) Just click your state and browse around. Sites like this are good for finding places that have dedicated tracks for cycling and walking, among other things.

My favorite neat little trick is to use a geocaching map http://www.geocaching.​com/map/beta/default.a​spx (external link) Often times people place geocaches in specific locations as a way of getting other people to see a interesting area that the have found or been too. In some cases it can be a great way to find little parts of your city that you never knew about.

And of course you can always just go in a direction you've never been, which is one of the best ways to learn something new about where you are :D

Steven R.
Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,620 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 27, 2011 15:09 |  #3

subscribed :D

SmugMug (external link)

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 27, 2011 15:14 |  #4

So, I'll start the photo sharing with stuff from my recent adventures!

After getting my bike repaired, my first with-camera outing was a simple "proof of concept" loop of a couple miles to a transit center and a little park. I had my 5D Classic with the 24-105 lens mounted in my new backpack and ready for action:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/135567270/original.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/135565676/original.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/135567617/original.jpg

Nothing spectacular, but I was pretty jazzed with the experience!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

The ­ Shaheen
406 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 27, 2011 15:15 |  #5

tonylong wrote in post #12666270 (external link)
Recently a thread started that was about restoring a damaged bicycle and using it, not just for transportation but for photography. It has stirred up some interest, because a number of folks here are not just enthusiastic about their photography but are active bicyclists as well!

You can see the activity here in the Biking Photog Thread -- we've been having fun!

And so we have decided to start a photo sharing thread that is dedicated to the joining of these two hobbies and sharing the results. This will be a thread dedicated to biking photography for those who, when you go out on your bikes, bring a camera and purpose to use it. This is the place to come back to and post your images.

I personally am pretty pumped about this and have started my own gallery/collection on my PBase Web host, The Biking Photog Gallery (external link).

So, come one, come all, you who love to get out on your bikes -- grab your camera and pack it with you and then prepare to stop and capture those images! On a bike, it is so easy to just pull over and stop, grab your camera and snap photos of things of interest that, if you were driving you may never even notice, have a way of pulling over, or just be too "in a hurry".

So this thread is for sharing those photos...so, grab your camera, hop on your bike, ready, set, go!

If THIS catches on, and it might..

I can just see a Canon BikeMonopod Image Stabilizer M1© coming on...

"Tt's not the Devil in the details, it's God!"
https://photography-on-the.net …p=11498080&post​count=2620

JPepus
728 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 27, 2011 15:28 |  #6

I like! I like! Nothing to share at this time though. :cry:

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,923 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Jun 27, 2011 15:28 |  #7

Im IN!

Image from my last ride out with my lady :D Part of the ride to montauk in long island:

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3006/5858023689_87bea99d60_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/prodigy83/58580​23689/  (external link)
IMG_0084.jpg (external link) by Prodigy83 (external link), on Flickr

This will be a ride we will revist next year again. Great shots to be had. :)

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,620 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 27, 2011 15:32 |  #8

Still haven't seen photos of the damaged bike, Omar.

SmugMug (external link)

vipergts831
43,923 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 27, 2011 15:32 |  #9

Harm wrote in post #12666459 (external link)
Still haven't seen photos of the damaged bike, Omar.

Just for you ill try to drag it out this week and take an image from the back. Thats the best way to showcase the warped wheel. :)

Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 27, 2011 15:34 |  #10

"Wild Hogs Photography Club" :cool:

IMAGE: http://www.darklightimaging.com/img/v9/p888119009-4.jpg

JPepus
728 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 27, 2011 15:36 |  #11

vipergts831 wrote in post #12666434 (external link)
Im IN!

Image from my last ride out with my lady :D Part of the ride to montauk in long island:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/prodigy83/58580​23689/  (external link)
IMG_0084.jpg (external link) by Prodigy83 (external link), on Flickr

This will be a ride we will revist next year again. Great shots to be had. :)

Cutie! ...not you Omar...the lady. :p;)

vipergts831
43,923 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 27, 2011 15:40 |  #12

JPepus wrote in post #12666485 (external link)
Cutie! ...not you Omar...the lady. :p;)

Justin dont worry. Its okay to look ;) :lol:

vipergts831
43,923 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 27, 2011 15:40 |  #13

jdizzle wrote in post #12666476 (external link)
"Wild Hogs Photography Club" :cool:

Such an animal ;) :lol:

JPepus
728 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 27, 2011 15:43 |  #14

vipergts831 wrote in post #12666505 (external link)
Justin dont worry. Its okay to look ;) :lol:

LMAO :lol::lol::o:o

vipergts831
43,923 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 27, 2011 15:44 |  #15

Hopefully ill get out this weekend. I need to have my back wheel aligned a bit and my front derailer double checked.Then im good to go. Shouldnt be too bad :)

sponsored links

133,424 views & 25 likes for this thread
Bikography -- The Biking Photog In Action!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.