Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jun 2011 (Monday) 17:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D crushes my soul for a 2nd time...

UK_Tomcat_Fan
Goldmember
1,343 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Jun 28, 2011 03:16 |  #16

subscribed, as I will soon be purchasing a 7d however I will be keeping an eye on how canon handle this one before parting with the dosh

Martin | GearList | Website: My photography (external link)
POTN Resident Jolly Roger / Super bug hater!

sponsored links
pilsburypie
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 28, 2011 03:22 |  #17

I don't know about your country, but in the UK we have the "Sales of goods act", which most people don't really know about and companies keep quiet about and blag people with their 1 year warranty.

Certain parts of the act state things like:

Goods must be fit for purpose
Goods must be of sufficient quality
Goods must be durable

If you were in the UK, you could argue that the above have not been met and this over rules the manufacturers 12 month warranty.

I often found that a polite but firm email that shows you are not going to be fobbed off usually works - if not up the firmness telling them this won't wash and that you will be a right PITA.

When I spend big bucks I worked long and hard for, I'm buggered if I'm going to be screwed over.

Bet you have a similar act in your country if you google it.

Good luck

Mark
Gear List

Buff_GUY
573 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 28, 2011 04:33 |  #18

You should try calling your Local News channel to see if they would like to make a story out of it!

Gear

Gameface
672 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 28, 2011 04:39 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #12668953 (external link)
I feel sorry for the OP, I really do. But some of the comments here make me laugh at how much of a sense of entitlement Americans have.

The funny thing is your hate and general malaise for all Americans. Probably the saddest post in this thread actually.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 28, 2011 05:01 |  #20

amfoto1 wrote in post #12669139 (external link)
Huh? You mean the way we expect a $1700 "semi-pro" camera that's "shutter rated to 150,000" to take more than 8000 photos without two "main board" failures in a year and a half? If so, yeah I guess we're pretty demanding, spoiled and downright entitled.

What I find difficult to understand is that you don't have legislation to make this reasonable expectation a legal right. Here in the UK I would have a right to demand restitution as long as I could prove (via an independant evaluation) that the fault was inherent.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 28, 2011 05:10 |  #21

Our government (traditionally) does not lay down the law to businesses until or unless there is a grave threat to public health or safety.

Crib and auto recalls, warnings on pharmaceuticals, etc fall into this category. Consumer Eectronics? Not so much...

"Lemon Laws" usually come from state legislatures.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,863 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 28, 2011 06:02 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #22

I would call the customer service dept,forget the VIP route, and explain the situation to a live person. I had the same thing happen to me with a 40D. In 3 times for shutter, mother board, and another circut board failed when i said enough, all within 18 months. I had all my paperwork and ive been in the canon system for a long long time.

After i spoke to the person, we swapped it out and i got a 5Dmk11 rerfirb for very little out of pocket costs and honestly i dont remember what it was but it definately was less than $600.00. I think the reason i got such a deal was because i am a CPS member and i have everything registered with canon and ive been a very loyal canon user since 1973.

I would think canon would do something for you but you have to get a person on the phone and plead your cause. As you can see by my sig, i have a lot of canon gear. They were extremely helpful to me but even if they had not helped, i would never switch from canon. Their products have served me very well.

Sorry about your situation.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 28, 2011 06:09 |  #23

LOL

I feel sorry for the OP, I really do. But some of the comments here make me laugh at how much of a sense of entitlement Americans have.

Not only do you seem like you have never actually attempted anything like this (no matter what I said, contact needs to be made in a calm but serious demeanor) but you should be more observant... he is a Canadian.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

theduck
67 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 28, 2011 06:30 |  #24

Bruce Foreman wrote in post #12669177 (external link)
Mocows:

Here is a tactic I have used successfully with 2 firearms manufacturers. Got me a replacement handgun in both cases (Taurus and Smith & Wesson).

Send the 7D in to the Canon repair facility with a letter detailing them replacing the mainboard once and now saying it needs it again. Instruct them that if all they are going to do is replace that mainboard again without tracking down the cause of it's second failure then they are to DESTROY the camera so no other poor soul has it inflicted on them.

Advise them that you would rather take your financial "lumps" than say get it back and sell it because you could not trust it again.

Don't ask for a replacement, there's a fair chance they'll offer it themselves. What you do with this method is face them with a problem they don't see often, if ever.

Don't threaten them with bad publicity, they'll think of that themselves. "Customer sends 7D in for same problem for second time. Tells them to destroy it if they cannot fix it properly."

Just the kind of thing that would go "viral" on them.

You could pay for the repair and then sell the body as soon as it gets back, but my sense of integrity wouldn't let me do that and pass the problem on to another poor unsuspecting soul. But that's just me.

Smith & Wesson (when I sent the same pistol back for the same problem a second time) responded to my "if you can't fix the underlying problem destroy the pistol" letter with a phone call, customer service said "Sounds like you would like a new gun". They had discontinued the model I had so they gave me a choice of 3 others. I picked one.

Taurus simply sent a new one.

I think you may struggle with this method, theres a world of difference between telling a company to "distroy" a faulty gun, which have lethal consequances if fired and a camera with a faulty motherboard.

treebound
547 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 28, 2011 08:42 as a reply to  @ theduck's post |  #25

If it is the same original camera body with the same type of main board failure then perhaps the issue is in a flex circuit or with some other component upstream or downstream of the main board. Swapping parts does not find the cause of the failure if the failure is not in the parts that were swapped.

I don't know what options Canada has such as a Lemon Law like some of the U.S. states have, but that might be an avenue to pursue if you are still in possession of the original camera body. And if you want to track down Canon executives then try searching on sites such as Linkedin .

I was at a grandkid's PeeWee baseball game a few weeks ago and there was a guy with a Canon 7D watching a different game. I talked with him a bit about his camera and he said he loves it, no problems at all with focusing like some on the site here have, he didn't seem like there was even a learning curve. I forget what he said his previous camera was. I told him about the site here so he may be lurking and reading. I only mention this because some people have no problems, and some have major problems.

I think one major negative issue out weighs hundreds of people praising their gear. I know I read and research and try to find good and bad reports of gear I'm considering. I know that if the OP's camera were mine that I would not be a happy camper right now. I might even pursue looking into options with that other camera company and ask about swapping for a D7000 or something, sort of a Nordstroms exchange of sorts. (Nordstroms is a retailer known for excellent customer service and also known for taking stuff back even when they didn't originally sell it if it makes a good customer happy.)

I don't know what it is about the 7D, but some reports I've read here show it to be a great camera, and others show it to be a finicky beast, it is either great or it is a nightmare. If I had the funds currently, even though a 7D was high on my desire list, I'd stay with my choice of a 60D if I could buy one today just because I would not want to expose myself to the potential issues I've read about. I'd really like to have the fine tuning adjustment of lens to body, but not at the risk of getting a problematic camera. 1000 of them might be good, but all it takes is one majorly bad one to turn me off on a model. I'm the same way about newer Chevy Blazers and Jimmys, had one, tons of electrical issues, never again, and I really like Chevys but that Jimmy we had really soured me on them and the failure of the dealership to resolve the issue pretty much nailed the coffin shut (we traded it in on a Mercury/Ford).

Fortunately for the OP the costs seems to be secondary (it'd be major for me), so hopefully Canon will do something to make things right for him.

Rambling post here, random comments, probably no help at all, sorry about the recurring problems with the 7D.

=====
60D w/18-135 kit lens, 55-250mm, EF 50mm 1.8, 580EXII flash.

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,802 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 28, 2011 08:58 |  #26

Mocows wrote in post #12667040 (external link)
...Mainboard's gone for the 2nd time...

It sucks! Looks like the problem is somewhere else if same failure is present for second time.
They should replace if they don't know where real source of the problem is.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 28, 2011 09:06 |  #27

Keep trying to find new people to add to the email and start emailing them a couple times a day everyday. Don't take no for an answer. They have your money and you deserve a product that lasts longer than that.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 28, 2011 09:18 |  #28

Damn right we're entitled. Yes, everything here is better.
From the lemonade powered buses that travel down our gumdrop cobbled streets to the candy-cane money dispensers we live a charmed life here in America.

Regarding the camera, write a letter, Keep it polite and to the point, get whatever you need to say on one page. Post your letter here and anywhere else you think camera people will see it.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 28, 2011 09:21 |  #29

treebound wrote in post #12670362 (external link)
I don't know what it is about the 7D, but some reports I've read here show it to be a great camera, and others show it to be a finicky beast, it is either great or it is a nightmare. If I had the funds currently, even though a 7D was high on my desire list, I'd stay with my choice of a 60D if I could buy one today just because I would not want to expose myself to the potential issues I've read about.

Almost all of those 'potential issues' are solved by a willingness to learn. I got stuck when I first had mine because I didn't read the manual properly and set my AI Servo sensitivity to 'Fast'. Only later did I realise I needed it on 'Slow'. It also took me a while to learn to expose to the right to avoid noise and to increase the amount of sharpening I did in Lightroom.

Now, when I use my 60D, I get frustrated by the lack of those exact things that cause potential issues.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

mswobo
Goldmember
1,325 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 28, 2011 09:21 as a reply to  @ ChuckingFluff's post |  #30

Letters written to upper management in large corporations do get read. Not by the actual person but by somebody on their staff and escalted. They are taken seriously and most times responded to in some way. Senior management in any company is concerned about public perception.

Remember to them its "chump change" to fix an issue like that if they deem so inclined. Not saying they always do. Their budget is in the millions. The service managers has a discretionary budget and it is very small in comparison to deal with those kind of issues.

A professionally written letter describing the issues and the end users loyalty go a long way. OP has nothing to lose at this point. It's all in how you position it when you communicate.

Nikon D850 and a bunch of stuff, I have learned a lot here when I was shooting Canon, staying to keep learning..."Every time I set up I learn something new".

sponsored links

6,820 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D crushes my soul for a 2nd time...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.