Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jun 2011 (Monday) 17:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D crushes my soul for a 2nd time...

Mocows
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 28, 2011 10:17 |  #31

As a side, I did end up writing a letter last night, nothing in it states I would go yell about it nor am I clearly asking for a replacement. More so I'm asking and pointing blame at quality control for my situation and that some special circumstances exist for replacement units instead of just saying "Thanks, try again next year". I know something in the camera is wrong, mainly not the mainboard but I didn't recieve any details the first time around nor this 2nd time so what can I do in reality about malfunctions of parts I can't see.

We'll see what happens, hopefully canada post's post-strike workers gets their act together so the letter gets sent within a reasonable amount of time ;)

7D | XSi + Phottix Grip | 400 F/5.6 | 70-200 F/4 | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 |430ex | Horusbennu C-2830V | Photo Clam PC-33
flickr gallery (external link)

sponsored links
BucketMan
936 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 28, 2011 10:22 |  #32

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #12668953 (external link)
I feel sorry for the OP, I really do. But some of the comments here make me laugh at how much of a sense of entitlement Americans have.

Might want to do your homework a little better as the author of the post you take issue with is not from America.

Apology accepted.

| 70D | 70-200LII | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/%3Ca%20h​ref=
flickr (external link)

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 28, 2011 10:34 |  #33

amfoto1 wrote in post #12669139 (external link)
Huh? You mean the way we expect a $1700 "semi-pro" camera that's "shutter rated to 150,000" to take more than 8000 photos without two "main board" failures in a year and a half? If so, yeah I guess we're pretty demanding, spoiled and downright entitled.

It is not that. I would expect it to work as stated and hope* to get 150k shots as well, but if doesn't and breaks outside warranty, that is that. End of story. No writing demands to some VIP. No getting something for nothing despite what one thinks they are owed.

bohdank wrote in post #12669886 (external link)
Not only do you seem like you have never actually attempted anything like this (no matter what I said, contact needs to be made in a calm but serious demeanor) but you should be more observant... he is a Canadian.

You should learn to read a little closer...I was not referencing the OP, but "comments" which typically doesn't mean the OP.

Might want to do your homework a little better as the author of the post you take issue with is not from America.

Apology accepted.

You might want to learn reading comprehension. apology...thanks for proving my point about a sense of entitlement

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 28, 2011 10:50 |  #34

mswobo wrote in post #12670575 (external link)
Letters written to upper management in large corporations do get read. Not by the actual person but by somebody on their staff and escalted. They are taken seriously and most times responded to in some way. Senior management in any company is concerned about public perception.

Remember to them its "chump change" to fix an issue like that if they deem so inclined. Not saying they always do. Their budget is in the millions. The service managers has a discretionary budget and it is very small in comparison to deal with those kind of issues.

A professionally written letter describing the issues and the end users loyalty go a long way. OP has nothing to lose at this point. It's all in how you position it when you communicate.

Agreed.

Often times these letters get read by a personal secretary or assistant and they take such matters quite seriously. The key here is a politely worded correspondence documenting the entire failure/repair history. I's probably avoid the "go ahead and crush it if you can't fix it" route and try something a bit more along the lines of "I just want a properly working camera that won't continue to cost me money with the same recurring failure".

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 28, 2011 10:52 |  #35

BucketMan wrote in post #12670864 (external link)

Apology accepted.

Unless Canada is seen as part of the North American continent. This is actually a quite common view.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 28, 2011 10:55 |  #36

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #12670932 (external link)
It is not that. I would expect it to work as stated and hope* to get 150k shots as well, but if doesn't and breaks outside warranty, that is that. End of story. No writing demands to some VIP. No getting something for nothing despite what one thinks they are owed.

You should learn to read a little closer...I was not referencing the OP, but "comments" which typically doesn't mean the OP.

You might want to learn reading comprehension. apology...thanks for proving my point about a sense of entitlement

How about if you can't say something helpful you just not be a jerk?

Sorry, but I don't consider someone being unhappy with two identical failures over the course of a year in a fairly expensive camera to be a normal course of events. It has little to do with your belief about entitlement, more like at least expecting a quality product and quality repair work from a company with the professional reputation of Canon.

Bradfordguy
941 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 28, 2011 11:09 as a reply to  @ DennisW1's post |  #37

Let's look at this situation in the eye's of a CEO at Canon. He has an ongoing blood fight with Nikon and several other manufacturers who all produce good products. If one get's a reputation of not haveing a decent customer service it can be damaging to market share. The internet spreads information ( good or bad ) globally in the blink of an eye. Senior management do not take letters of complaint lightly at all.

G10, 7D gripped, 17-55 2.8 IS , 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, EF 85 1.8, 105 2.8 EX Sigma Macro, 1.4 TC , 580 EXII, 430 EX, ST-E2

dfbovey
Goldmember
1,602 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 28, 2011 11:13 |  #38

DennisW1 wrote in post #12671047 (external link)
How about if you can't say something helpful you just not be a jerk?

Sorry, but I don't consider someone being unhappy with two identical failures over the course of a year in a fairly expensive camera to be a normal course of events. It has little to do with your belief about entitlement, more like at least expecting a quality product and quality repair work from a company with the professional reputation of Canon.

Dude seems to be a troll. No use trying to rationalize with someone who has an agenda other than helping the original poster. Best to just ignore them and allow them to marinate in their own misguided anger.

Flickr (external link)
Canon 1D markIV - Canon 1D markIII - Canon 6D
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS - Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L - Canon EF 500mm f/4L

jthomps123
476 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 28, 2011 11:24 |  #39

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #12668953 (external link)
LOL

That tactic never works. The president has far better things to do. Hell, the presidents secretary has far better things to do. The only help you could expect is maybe from a service manger.

Canon doesn't care, especially with such a limited problem. You do realize that many electronic devices have as high as 10% failure rate, and that is an accepted industry standard?

Just how much "nasty press" do you think this will drum up? I think you are a bit delusional.

I feel sorry for the OP, I really do. But some of the comments here make me laugh at how much of a sense of entitlement Americans have.

What makes me laugh is you, considering all the comments you referenced, including the quoted comment, are from Canadians. Where is the elusive comprehension you keep talking about?

1Ds Mk 2 / 5D Mk 3 | 17-40L | 24-105L | 35L | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 100L | 70-200L Mk 2 | 580 EXII x 2
GH2 | 14-140 | 20/1.7
Elinchrom Quadra A's

anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 28, 2011 11:50 |  #40

pwm2 wrote in post #12671028 (external link)
Unless Canada is seen as part of the North American continent. This is actually a quite common view.

Ack. Canadians are Americans. Unfortunately the name "The United States of America" doesn't readily lend itself to a more precise demonym.

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

jthomps123
476 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 28, 2011 11:58 |  #41

anthony11 wrote in post #12671362 (external link)
Ack. Canadians are Americans. Unfortunately the name "The United States of America" doesn't readily lend itself to a more precise demonym.

Rubbish. The first definition of 'American' pertains to the US. Beyond that I would wager most Canadians would rather think of themselves as North Americans rather than be lumped in with the average (US) American.

1Ds Mk 2 / 5D Mk 3 | 17-40L | 24-105L | 35L | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 100L | 70-200L Mk 2 | 580 EXII x 2
GH2 | 14-140 | 20/1.7
Elinchrom Quadra A's

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 28, 2011 12:04 |  #42

Let's not forget Mexico and all the islands in the Carib also being North Americans. Then there is the central and southern Americas.

I have never heard anyone mistake I am an American to mean anything other than USA.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 28, 2011 12:50 |  #43

jthomps123 wrote in post #12671404 (external link)
Rubbish. The first definition of 'American' pertains to the US. Beyond that I would wager most Canadians would rather think of themselves as North Americans rather than be lumped in with the average (US) American.

The "first definition" actually pertains to the whole New World" which includes Southern and Northern America - "the Americas".

A bit of history would tell you that it took quite a while before there even was any "US". By the way - the Mexican neighbour is also a "US" - Estados Unidos Mexicanos.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

jthomps123
476 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 28, 2011 13:12 |  #44

pwm2 wrote in post #12671739 (external link)
The "first definition" actually pertains to the whole New World" which includes Southern and Northern America - "the Americas".

A bit of history would tell you that it took quite a while before there even was any "US". By the way - the Mexican neighbour is also a "US" - Estados Unidos Mexicanos.

The first dictionary I looked up used the USofA as the first definition.
http://dictionary.refe​rence.com/browse/ameri​can (external link)

Webster has #3 as a "citizen of the United States". Nowhere in that definition does it ever get specific about a citizen of 'Mexico', or a citizen of 'Canada', as it does for US citizens, meaning American IS a term describing citizens of the United States; And NOT used for describing Mexicans unless only in part as a larger group of inhabitants of the whole North and South American continents.

Furthermore, I seriously doubt this person was lumping in Chileans, Canadians, Mexican, and Cubans etc when he referred to 'americans'.

Please use some common sense. :rolleyes:

GH2 | 14-140 | 20/1.7
Elinchrom Quadra A's

treebound
547 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 28, 2011 13:34 |  #45

hollis_f wrote in post #12670574 (external link)
Almost all of those 'potential issues' are solved by a willingness to learn. I got stuck when I first had mine because I didn't read the manual properly and set my AI Servo sensitivity to 'Fast'. Only later did I realise I needed it on 'Slow'. It also took me a while to learn to expose to the right to avoid noise and to increase the amount of sharpening I did in Lightroom.

Now, when I use my 60D, I get frustrated by the lack of those exact things that cause potential issues.

Thank you, this is good to know.

=====
60D w/18-135 kit lens, 55-250mm, EF 50mm 1.8, 580EXII flash.

sponsored links

6,816 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D crushes my soul for a 2nd time...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.