Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jun 2011 (Monday) 17:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D crushes my soul for a 2nd time...

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 28, 2011 14:35 |  #46

jthomps123 wrote in post #12671864 (external link)
The first dictionary I looked up used the USofA as the first definition.
http://dictionary.refe​rence.com/browse/ameri​can (external link)

Webster has #3 as a "citizen of the United States". Nowhere in that definition does it ever get specific about a citizen of 'Mexico', or a citizen of 'Canada', as it does for US citizens, meaning American IS a term describing citizens of the United States; And NOT used for describing Mexicans unless only in part as a larger group of inhabitants of the whole North and South American continents.

Furthermore, I seriously doubt this person was lumping in Chileans, Canadians, Mexican, and Cubans etc when he referred to 'americans'.

Please use some common sense. :rolleyes:

I am using common sense. My original post was just a single sentence, since that was all there should have been needed to show that there are alternative, but valid, uses of the term. That really should have been enough.

But common sense includes the view that US of A puts one weight on the meaning of the word. That weight is not the same in all other parts of the world. So common sense is to not use a sledgehammer in a international web forum.

Mighty off-topic but the New York Times Manual of Style and Usage (1999) America says that the "terms America, American(s) and Americas refer not only to the United States, but to all of North America and South America. They may be used in any of their senses, including references to just the United States, if the context is clear. The countries of the Western Hemisphere are collectively the Americas ". So even within USA, the term is acknowledged to be usable in multiple situations.

In the end, the definition of what is "common sense" or what is "clear context" does vary. That makes it common sense to not jump on someone using "american" about a canadian even if a canadian would normally not like to be called american because of the great risk of confusion.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sponsored links
jthomps123
476 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 28, 2011 15:09 |  #47

In light of the comment singling out 'americans' as an entitlement attitude, it should be clearly apparent that he is referring to citizens of the US, no? The context was VERY clear in my opinion. Do europeans really consider Canadians and Bolivians 'american'?

Or maybe i'm unaware that all those who inhabit the western hemisphere are known for an an entitlement attitude? My aplogies, I stand corrected. I didnt previously know about this reputation.

1Ds Mk 2 / 5D Mk 3 | 17-40L | 24-105L | 35L | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 100L | 70-200L Mk 2 | 580 EXII x 2
GH2 | 14-140 | 20/1.7
Elinchrom Quadra A's

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 28, 2011 15:23 |  #48

i think this thread has deviated a bit from the OP's initial concerns.

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 28, 2011 15:40 |  #49

jthomps123 wrote in post #12672521 (external link)
In light of the comment singling out 'americans' as an entitlement attitude, it should be clearly apparent that he is referring to citizens of the US, no? The context was VERY clear in my opinion. Do europeans really consider Canadians and Bolivians 'american'?

No, but Bolivians might.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

GregoryF
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 28, 2011 15:56 |  #50

pdrober2 wrote in post #12672573 (external link)
i think this thread has deviated a bit from the OP's initial concerns.

You think?:lol:

6D, 5D, 7Dii, Eos R and too many lenses, flashes and aux. gear to list!:cool:
A simple hobby gone horribily wrong

ganzosrevenge
35 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 28, 2011 16:14 |  #51

As an owner of a T2i that has gone in twice in the past 2 months for focus and construction issues, I can sympathize with the OP and his disappointment in his Canon D-SLR. My solution?

Write a letter to Senior Mgmt of Canon, explain your plight, concurring with others. However, to truly cover your bases, invest in a Nikon F, a 50mm f/1.4; or a Leicaflex with a Summicron, some film and a steady hand... an old 35mm film camera will be far more robust and less prone to "technology went dead!" breakage than the disposable toys we've learned to blindly consume.

Jason

Canon T2i | 18-55 f/3.5-f/5.6 | 24-105 f/4 L IS USM
FLICKR: www.flickr.com/ganzono​my (external link)

RTM
55 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 28, 2011 19:31 |  #52

I think the letter (polite, respectful etc) to senior management in the country would be good.

Don't underestimate the power of social media (this forum, Twitter, etc) to escalate gradually... (without being defamatory or overly subjective / emotional)...

My thoughts - it has worked for me in the past for other customer service issues when things start to take too long....

Rob

5DII / 7D / 70-200l IS II

treebound
547 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 29, 2011 08:51 as a reply to  @ RTM's post |  #53

To the OP, you probably already have all these links, but in case you don't then maybe one of these will help some:

Maybe try the Canon Canada Customer Care online request:

http://www.canon.ca …32&catid=4205&s​catid=4212 (external link)

Here's an older thread on Canon Canada:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=191013

Phone numbers:
http://canoncanada.cus​thelp.com …l-camera-limited-warranty (external link)

Canon Canada

You may obtain technical support for your EOS Digital Camera as follows:

•Telephone assistance from a Canon Canada Customer Care representative free of charge during regular business hours (currently Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. EST, excluding holidays) at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666)

When you call have your EOS Digital Camera serial number and your date of purchase available to expedite service. A Canon Customer Care representative will attempt to diagnose the nature of the problem and correct it over the telephone. If the problem cannot be corrected over the telephone, you will be asked to follow the applicable procedures for MAIL-IN SERVICE. Note that a dated proof of purchase is required at the time of service. This requirement will be satisfied by providing a copy of your dated bill of sale.

* Technical support program specifics subject to change without notice.

=====
60D w/18-135 kit lens, 55-250mm, EF 50mm 1.8, 580EXII flash.

kbColorado
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 29, 2011 09:12 |  #54

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #12668953 (external link)
LOL

I feel sorry for the OP, I really do. But some of the comments here make me laugh at how much of a sense of entitlement Americans have.

You didn't laugh, you tweaked.

Paul
deep greens and blues are the colors I choose ...

kbColorado
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 29, 2011 09:15 |  #55

Bruce Foreman wrote in post #12669177 (external link)
Mocows:

Here is a tactic I have used successfully with 2 firearms manufacturers. Got me a replacement handgun in both cases (Taurus and Smith & Wesson).

Send the 7D in to the Canon repair facility with a letter detailing them replacing the mainboard once and now saying it needs it again. Instruct them that if all they are going to do is replace that mainboard again without tracking down the cause of it's second failure then they are to DESTROY the camera so no other poor soul has it inflicted on them.

Advise them that you would rather take your financial "lumps" than say get it back and sell it because you could not trust it again.

Don't ask for a replacement, there's a fair chance they'll offer it themselves. What you do with this method is face them with a problem they don't see often, if ever.

Don't threaten them with bad publicity, they'll think of that themselves. "Customer sends 7D in for same problem for second time. Tells them to destroy it if they cannot fix it properly."

Just the kind of thing that would go "viral" on them.

You could pay for the repair and then sell the body as soon as it gets back, but my sense of integrity wouldn't let me do that and pass the problem on to another poor unsuspecting soul. But that's just me.

Smith & Wesson (when I sent the same pistol back for the same problem a second time) responded to my "if you can't fix the underlying problem destroy the pistol" letter with a phone call, customer service said "Sounds like you would like a new gun". They had discontinued the model I had so they gave me a choice of 3 others. I picked one.

Taurus simply sent a new one.

I hope I never have the ocassion to use this tactic but it is absolutely brilliant. You must understand how the other side thinks bw!

Paul
deep greens and blues are the colors I choose ...

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 29, 2011 10:35 |  #56

Bruce F thanks for your post! True genius.

I had an ongoing issue with a G11 that was solved, after I used social media to discuss my problem. Eventually the retailer offered me a replacement camera. There was some cost, but paying it worked to my advantage.

Dave

treebound
547 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 29, 2011 12:05 as a reply to  @ 2mnycars's post |  #57

The one problem with Bruce F's idea is that it relies upon the technician to have a sense of integrity and upon the manufacturer or repair facility to have a process in place to verify scrap as scrap. If you get a bad or tired tech who reads the note and interprets it to say "hey, if you don't feel like messing with this one then just throw it away and here is my written authorization to justify doing so", and if his/her manager wanders past all he/she will have to say is that he/she looked at it and couldn't find an obvious root cause.

I still suspect the root cause is not with the main board.

=====
60D w/18-135 kit lens, 55-250mm, EF 50mm 1.8, 580EXII flash.

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 29, 2011 12:16 |  #58

treebound--I particpated at another forum where a Nikon user had the same thing happen. He got to buy a new board for his Nikon (which still was under warranty) because they said the problem was caused when he changed the card. Not saying it's right, because it's not. But it happens.

Dave

xanavi
174 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 29, 2011 14:00 |  #59

There's no warranty coverage?

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 29, 2011 15:20 |  #60

Xavier, if you're asking me....warranty on his D300s was disallowed; Nikon Canada said it was caused by the owner. Repair cost was $650 Cdn.

Dave

sponsored links

6,824 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D crushes my soul for a 2nd time...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.