Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 02:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

call me crazy but... (switching from canon to leica)

blk-dslr
629 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 30, 2011 02:19 |  #1

...im planning to sell all my canon gears and move onto either leica s2 or m9, I got tons of canon L lens and dslr, and really planing to list all my L lenses on ebay, to get my hands on one of these badboy, any suggestion weather I should pull the trigger or not, any leica owner out there, that's more satisfy over leica then canon?

Gear List

sponsored links
Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 30, 2011 02:31 |  #2

That would be crazy to go to a Leica S2. Have you read the specs on that body? The ISO is 80-1,250, burst speed is only 1.5fps, view finder is 92.4% and $22,995.00 body only. Not only that but the vertical grip is $1,295.00 and the cheapest lens cost $4,995.00 and up to $8,495.00.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 30, 2011 02:35 |  #3

Just looking at your gearlist, you've probably got over $30,000 invested in canon stuff alone. You're going to have a helluva time selling all that off--Ebay will certainly appreciate your business :D I'd sell here first, then list the remainder on ebay...

My Gearlist

nikesupremedunk
Goldmember
1,131 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 30, 2011 03:01 |  #4

do it! or why not just add on a leica and sell off just a few things instead of selling off everything.

| Andrew | 5D Mark II | EOS-M | Canon 17-40mm f 4 L | Canon 35mm f 1.4 L | Canon 100mm f 2.8 L Macro | Canon 70-200mm f 4 L IS | Canon EF-M 22mm f 2.0 | Speedlite 430EX II|

b_ron
547 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 30, 2011 03:09 |  #5

You have one hell of a collection my friend.

Saint728 wrote in post #12681348 (external link)
That would be crazy to go to a Leica S2. Have you read the specs on that body? The ISO is 80-1,250, burst speed is only 1.5fps, view finder is 92.4% and $22,995.00 body only. Not only that but the vertical grip is $1,295.00 and the cheapest lens cost $4,995.00 and up to $8,495.00.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Wow, I probably underestimated the price of Leica gear.

| G | F (external link) |

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 30, 2011 03:12 |  #6

b_ron wrote in post #12681421 (external link)
You have one hell of a collection my friend.

Wow, I probably underestimated the price of Leica gear.

Tell me about it. For the price, I figured the body was made from iridium :D

My Gearlist

chrisandaivi
718 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 30, 2011 03:24 |  #7

Can you take a picture of your gear for us gearheads here.

Gear: 5D Mark II, Canon 85mm 1.2 L ,Canon 17-40mm F4L
Canon 24-70mm F2.8L, Canon 70-200mm F4L
580 exII x2
Rf602 triggers
Etc, Etc, ETC

newworld666
Goldmember
2,306 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 30, 2011 04:15 |  #8

:rolleyes: Leica S2 + 35mm/2.5 + 120mm/2.5 should be like the ultimate walkaround (even action sport) 30 x 45 DSLR ....

I can't imagine I will myself make the step one day, but I imagine for those who can afford it, it should be like the reach of a dream. :D ....

After all it's cheaper than a sport car :cool: and we can make some money with it.

Marc
5DMKII+1Dx 24L1.4II 85L1.2II 180L3.5 300F2.8nonIS TC2XII ..... Sigma14F2.8AFDG, Zuiko 500F/8 Reflex
http://myc-photos.eu (external link)

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 30, 2011 04:25 |  #9

Whow.
I wonder about your two alternatives:
M9 seems for me very different to Leica S2 in terms of how to work with it and which things you photograph with it. I suppose you have tested both systems?

I had the change to test a Leica M6 some years ago, but I decided that this type of camera is not for me, not for the images I photograph. But now I sometimestake photos with an old Contax IIa rangefinder, but I didnĀ“t "love" it.
The S2 would fit more - but because I like to "play" with alternative lenses it is not interessting - and too expensive for me.

Cause I know some people working at Leica I am very happy about your planned decision :-)

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

teraflop
174 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 30, 2011 04:44 as a reply to  @ b_ron's post |  #10

Not only crazy, really nuts - sorry.
You spend lots of $ for an almost complete collection of L-lenses and after that you want to sell everything for an overpriced Leica? Seems to me, that you are more hunting for gear than for pictures. And now? You already bought every fine glass and you can't get more satisfaction from buying more canon gear? If that's what you want - sell your stuff and buy a Leica.

Instead you could go out and taking pictures! You have everything you need and much more.

Cheers
flop

PS: in April 2011 you had 6 L-lenses, now (June) you got 20. Are you doing something else than buying gear?

ukkisavosta
97 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 30, 2011 04:46 |  #11

I suppose only you can answer that question, but I can share a story that sort of reflects this dilemma.

Here in Finland, a certain gearhead, familiar to all those who have followed the Finnish photography forums for some years, originally owned a large collection of Canon gear and L lenses. He then caught the Leica bug and went on to sell most of his Canon gear to fund some Leica glass and camera. This was at the time when Leica did not yet have digital bodies, so he had to revert back to film.

This stint carried on for some time, and readers of Finnish forums would constantly be reminded of the unparalleled sharpness of Leica lenses. Time passed, and eventually the gearhead decided to give up on Leica for some reason, and jumped back to Canon.

I don't know if there is a lesson to be learned, and obviously this is not some universal road or "fate" of every Leica convert, but just thought I would share.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 30, 2011 05:19 |  #12

blk-dslr wrote in post #12681324 (external link)
...im planning to sell all my canon gears and move onto either leica s2 or m9, I got tons of canon L lens and dslr, and really planing to list all my L lenses on ebay, to get my hands on one of these badboy, any suggestion weather I should pull the trigger or not, any leica owner out there, that's more satisfy over leica then canon?

I wouldn't sell all my Canon gear just to go Leica but, you need to know first hand if the system is right for you. An M9 would be an ideal system for walk around and it's lighter than carrying a ton of glass. ;) I've handled an S2 and it while the IQ was impressive, it was heavier than my 1Ds III with grip. Oh and if something needs repair, expect a longer turn around time.

Leica is satisfying when it comes to learning a new system but, you must have patience with it. There are no doo-dads like the current DSLRs. There is no AF and all MF. So, you have to work for your image. Once you get the hang of it, the IQ from their glass is phenom but, there are alternatives if you don't want to break the bank. :)

So,again, try it first before you sell all your Canon gear. Leica rides along with my Canon gear when I don't feel like MF bcoz' there are times when AF is a must. :)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 30, 2011 06:10 |  #13

blk-dslr wrote in post #12681324 (external link)

M9/S2

Talk about different systems. I am curious, why ?

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

newworld666
Goldmember
2,306 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 30, 2011 07:55 as a reply to  @ bohdank's post |  #14

Leica S2'AF .. seems to be very good ! ... fast and accurate.
All lenses S series are weather sealed ... better than canon !

Marc
5DMKII+1Dx 24L1.4II 85L1.2II 180L3.5 300F2.8nonIS TC2XII ..... Sigma14F2.8AFDG, Zuiko 500F/8 Reflex
http://myc-photos.eu (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 30, 2011 08:02 |  #15

Yes, all 4-5 lenses ;-)a Are they all shipping ?

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

20,402 views & 0 likes for this thread
call me crazy but... (switching from canon to leica)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.