Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk 
Thread started 30 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 23:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo release for a dog?

RedlinePhotography_2009
133 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 30, 2011 23:44 |  #1

Hi guys,

This is my first post in this section but im a long time viewer.

Heres my story.

My sister has a mini dauschound and there is a facebook based club for them thats been growing for my local area (Melbourne) for a while and they have a meeting on sunday in a public dog park.

I usually go with my sister to our local dog park and take snaps of ralph(her dauschound) and all the other dogs and everyone thinks its fantastic, ive taken thousands of shots and really enjoy it as its different form the norm of shooting cars.

I posted letting everyone know that i will b attending with my camera to take photos for the day of the entire event. As i have a soft spot for the group etc i wanted to do it for free but having everyone show interest posting out discs of the images would be fairly costly. I explained this in my post and informed everyone for a disc of images of the day probably 2-400 images if past outings are anything to go by.

it would cost 15$ which after i buy my hundred rolls of dvds, cd cases, and then spend nearly 5$ on each padded postage bag so no discs get damaged. My profit margin is very minimal. Not even taking into account how much my the gear itself costs which we all know.

And ive had a couple people come back and say 15$ is too steep, i have tried explaining the costs involved also the cost involved in owning the gear i do. And having cleared that up they have now come back and told me that they beleive i should get permission from everyone attending to take photos on the day.

Im at a loss, personally i want to tell them to get stuffed, but professionally i know i cant.

Can anyone offer some advice as to what i should do?

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 01, 2011 08:53 |  #2

i'd stay away, your minimal pricing scheme has apparently ruffled some feathers

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 01, 2011 09:04 |  #3

Somtimes you try to do something nice and some
Idiot wants to ruin it.. In the US you would need
A property release if you were planning an ad featuring
The pooches. to to charge a fee to cover your expenses I don't think you need a release. What you might want to do is offer away for those that don't want to be photographed, to opt out. in the US in order to sue and win, you have to be able to show that you caused them damages, no damages no lawsuit.

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.com (external link)

Meanderthal
532 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 02, 2011 20:25 |  #4

Legal or not, I wouldn't think it worth getting into arguments, making enemies. Life is too short, friends too few. How about putting up a large poster, talking to owners, asking them to tie a nice long red ribbon (yours) on their dog's collar if they wish to participate. Shoot selectively, shallow DOF. Any identifiable dog in the picture without ribbon, and that picture is deleted.

I feel your pain.

http://spitzhaven.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)Photo gallery (external link)

briarlow
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 07, 2011 10:59 |  #5

As it was a FB group all you needed to do was post a few photo's on the FB page. I must admit I wouldn't be interested in having a disc but would love to see the photo's on FB as I wouldn't want a load of photo's of dogs that weren't mine, however, nice they are. You could of charged a small fee if anyone was interested in having any copies of their photo's though.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,929 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photo release for a dog?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.