Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 01 Jul 2011 (Friday) 10:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 50mm F1.4 Lens $434 with free shipping from Abes of Maine

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 29, 2011 00:21 |  #31

AsiaSF wrote in post #12840357 (external link)
At last got a shipping notification. Five weeks after purchase and being charged. Since I was in no hurry I think it was still worth the wait for the price...

shipped as well. Its been 4 weeks for me

My Gearlist

sponsored links
MrSchmo
27 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 29, 2011 23:28 |  #32

i just got my sigma 50mm 1.4 from Abe's and it has front focus issue. Does Abe's of Maine do lens calibration or I have to sent it to Sigma? Also does sigma pay for your shipping to have it sent back for calibration if your lens is still covered under their warranty?

7D | EF 17-40mm f/4 |EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 30, 2011 01:18 |  #33

MrSchmo wrote in post #12846746 (external link)
i just got my sigma 50mm 1.4 from Abe's and it has front focus issue. Does Abe's of Maine do lens calibration or I have to sent it to Sigma? Also does sigma pay for your shipping to have it sent back for calibration if your lens is still covered under their warranty?

lmao, no......

sigma says you are responsible for shipping......

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

colormaniac
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 30, 2011 01:19 |  #34

I heard that it may be a good idea to ship both your body and lens to Sigma for the calibration. Don't know if the result is much better.

Gear list | ModelMayhem (external link)
Hello, friends, I've been away from this site and photography for a few years. Too much drama in life. Now I'm catching up.

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 30, 2011 05:45 |  #35

colormaniac wrote in post #12847012 (external link)
I heard that it may be a good idea to ship both your body and lens to Sigma for the calibration. Don't know if the result is much better.

Canon won't touch non-Canon lenses for pairing calibration, or otherwise. I'd imagine that Sigma operates in the same manner

My Gearlist

MrSchmo
27 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 30, 2011 11:03 |  #36

colormaniac wrote in post #12847012 (external link)

are you serious that you need to ship your camera body with the sigma lens as well? what are the chances that they will get it right the first time and if I have to repeatedly send the lens to re-calibrate until they get it right, then its going to dig more into my pocket to pay for shipping and insuring the product. also beats the purpose of this deal. I see I'm not going to be able to use this lens for another month.

MOkoFOko wrote in post #12847364 (external link)
Canon won't touch non-Canon lenses for pairing calibration, or otherwise. I'd imagine that Sigma operates in the same manner

I hope they dont need to have my camera body to be sent in to fine tune it to my specification/standard and also hope they will get it right the first time base on my complaint. I'm not the only person that have this issue from day one of receiving this lens and have front focusing issue. This lens has been out for 2yrs+ and I'm surprise they have not corrected this issue or push their lens through more quality testing or so. Outrageous...

colormaniac
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 30, 2011 11:42 |  #37

Hey, I have said that it's what I heard, not what I am certain about. Also, I've never said Canon would do the same.

Here is what I saw: somewhere on POTN someone said he/she had a calibration issue. He/she said that he/she had to send both to Sigma for the best calibration. It sounded so frustrating. Maybe you can go to the thread for Sigma 50mm 1.4 and ask around. That guy could still be there.

Gear list | ModelMayhem (external link)
Hello, friends, I've been away from this site and photography for a few years. Too much drama in life. Now I'm catching up.

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 30, 2011 17:38 |  #38

colormaniac wrote in post #12848246 (external link)
Hey, I have said that it's what I heard, not what I am certain about. Also, I've never said Canon would do the same.

Here is what I saw: somewhere on POTN someone said he/she had a calibration issue. He/she said that he/she had to send both to Sigma for the best calibration. It sounded so frustrating. Maybe you can go to the thread for Sigma 50mm 1.4 and ask around. That guy could still be there.

they told me the same thing when I had my 30 1.4

They said it would be best if I sent in my camera as well wit the lens and they would calibrate it to the camera for best results.

so yeah, you don't have to send in your camera but they do recommend it so that you can get the best results from the calibration.

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 31, 2011 00:53 |  #39

BoneJj wrote in post #12849501 (external link)
they told me the same thing when I had my 30 1.4

They said it would be best if I sent in my camera as well wit the lens and they would calibrate it to the camera for best results.

so yeah, you don't have to send in your camera but they do recommend it so that you can get the best results from the calibration.

If body/lens pairing completely covered under the terms of their warranty, or do they charge extra?

My Gearlist

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 31, 2011 01:49 |  #40

MOkoFOko wrote in post #12850937 (external link)
If body/lens pairing completely covered under the terms of their warranty, or do they charge extra?

I don't know if they were going to do the body pairing calibration as part of the warranty or not. I opted to just send in my lens only as I couldn't go without my camera as I had to have my camera for a wedding and didn't want to risk going without my main camera.

The lens came back good but I should have sent my camera in because then they would have found that my camera was actually the main part that was messed up. I ended up figuring this out shortly after I got my 50mm lens. My body started to show some major issues.. so I sent it into canon and got that fixed, now my canon 50mm 1.4 and t2i give me some awesome images with great focus at all f/ ranges.

Now that my body is turned nicely I really do want to get myself a another 30mm.

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 31, 2011 01:53 |  #41

BoneJj wrote in post #12851072 (external link)
I don't know if they were going to do the body pairing calibration as part of the warranty or not. I opted to just send in my lens only as I couldn't go without my camera as I had to have my camera for a wedding and didn't want to risk going without my main camera.

The lens came back good but I should have sent my camera in because then they would have found that my camera was actually the main part that was messed up. I ended up figuring this out shortly after I got my 50mm lens. My body started to show some major issues.. so I sent it into canon and got that fixed, now my canon 50mm 1.4 and t2i give me some awesome images with great focus at all f/ ranges.

Now that my body is turned nicely I really do want to get myself a another 30mm.

Whether they charge for handling a non-sigma-warrantied body is a sticking point for me. I wouldn't pay $100 for body/lens calibration when the lens is within warranty. If someone can weigh in on that, it would be appreciated. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to call Sigma

My Gearlist

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 31, 2011 02:04 |  #42

MOkoFOko wrote in post #12851085 (external link)
Whether they charge for handling a non-sigma-warrantied body is a sticking point for me. I wouldn't pay $100 for body/lens calibration when the lens is within warranty. If someone can weigh in on that, it would be appreciated. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to call Sigma

you should consider sending your camera body in as it is... It could very well be your body that is having the issue. If you haven't had much experience with a fast prime you could very well have just exposed a focus issue with your body. There are ways to test this out though.

I did some high zoom on close objects with all my lenses to expose the focus issue was with my body. As a result I sent in all my lenses that were eligible for warranty to canon along with my body. come to find all of them had problems.... Now I've just been sending in my other lenses for calibration/repair as I can afford it. All my lenses have needed adjusting so far... It's amazing the differences it's made in all my photos and ability to use lower f/s while getting everything I want in focus without issues....

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 31, 2011 03:43 |  #43

BoneJj wrote in post #12851113 (external link)
you should consider sending your camera body in as it is... It could very well be your body that is having the issue. If you haven't had much experience with a fast prime you could very well have just exposed a focus issue with your body. There are ways to test this out though.

I did some high zoom on close objects with all my lenses to expose the focus issue was with my body. As a result I sent in all my lenses that were eligible for warranty to canon along with my body. come to find all of them had problems.... Now I've just been sending in my other lenses for calibration/repair as I can afford it. All my lenses have needed adjusting so far... It's amazing the differences it's made in all my photos and ability to use lower f/s while getting everything I want in focus without issues....

Canon has always given me free focus checks when using my clean&check vouchers on bodies. At any one time, I've got at least 3 bodies. In general, I've had very good luck when it comes to lens calibration--I've only needed to send zooms in. Primes tend to stay as is.

Again, I'm specifically asking whether SIGMA charges extra to calibrate a non-warrantied body along with a lens for free. No way I'm paying $100+ when 9/10 times it's the lens that's out of calibration.

My Gearlist

MrSchmo
27 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 06, 2011 20:39 |  #44

OK. I did some more test with the sigma 50mm f/1.4. I shot a few shot with wide open f/1.4 at close subjects and all my pictures comes out with front focusing issues. But if I shoot with the same settings metered to infinity, everything is nice and sharp. The opposite happens when I tried to fix my focusing issue at close subjects with MA setting, then close up shots are nice and sharp, but anything I meter at infinity will come up blurry with chromatic aberration. I wonder if sigma can fix this issue with calibrating, or there is a design flaws with my lens.

sponsored links

4,366 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 50mm F1.4 Lens $434 with free shipping from Abes of Maine
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.