Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 01 Jul 2011 (Friday) 17:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DPP Thumbnail Icons

Roxie2401
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 01, 2011 17:42 |  #1

This is probably a dumb question, but its bugging me.

When I open DPP and view the thumbnails in a folder at Medium or Large some of the Images have a "Lens" icon in the upper right corner, a "Camera" icon in the lower left corner, "RAW" in the lower left and if Large, the f stop and shutter speed in the lower right corner.

What is the "Lens" in the upper right corner - not all my RAW files have that? If the Lens means "Lens aberration correction" does that mean it was turned on when I took the shot? Or, was it added by DPP?

What is the "Camera" in the Lower left - I can probably guess the "Camera" and "RAW" means but all images have these two icons. If the "Camera" means "White Balance icon" and I shot with Camera Auto Whitebalance - what is the icon telling me? And if the image was never edited, why is 'RAW' showing?

I thought RAW files were never changed - only when doing a Convert and Save. That the original RAW was left as shot.

Thanks

sponsored links
tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 01, 2011 18:38 |  #2

The lens icon indicates the lens correction/Peripheral Illumination correction has been turn on in the camera.

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 01, 2011 18:43 as a reply to  @ tkerr's post |  #3

Thanks.

Any thoughts on why I'm seeing the RAW and the Whitebalance icons?

Looks like all the images show both of these.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,408 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jul 01, 2011 18:58 |  #4

tkerr wrote in post #12690689 (external link)
The lens icon indicates the lens correction/Peripheral Illumination correction has been turn on in the camera.

Except that it shows the lens for my images even though I have it turned off and even for images taken by cameras that don't have it.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 01, 2011 19:14 |  #5

RDKirk wrote in post #12690746 (external link)
Except that it shows the lens for my images even though I have it turned off and even for images taken by cameras that don't have it.

Open the Tool Pallet, go to NR/Lens/ALO tab and turn off all the Lens Corrections and watch the icon disappear.

Oh, And Roxie, The camera Icon is White Balance. The Camera indicates that DPP is using Shot Settings. If you see Raw with something else just below it in the lower right, that is the Picture Style you're using in DPP.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Tim Kerr

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 01, 2011 19:33 |  #6

Roxie2401 wrote in post #12690704 (external link)
Thanks.

Any thoughts on why I'm seeing the RAW and the Whitebalance icons?

Looks like all the images show both of these.

It's telling you what DPP Is using.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Tim Kerr

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 01, 2011 19:49 as a reply to  @ tkerr's post |  #7

Thanks, Got it.

I notice that the RAW and JPG only show up if the image had been edited with DPP.

Just curious - if the RAW image doesn't change, how do you clear all the settings. Do you have to go to Adjustments/Shot Settings on each individual image to get back to the Camera RAW original?

Would opening the RAW file in another program show the pure RAW file, in other words, I think there are some things that DPP "understands" and applies (like Style, WB, Shapening setting, etc.) that other programs would not automatically apply.

Also, I'm still going back and forth between Lightroom and DPP and trying to decide which I like better for basic processing and raw converter.

Thanks.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 01, 2011 19:53 |  #8

Roxie2401 wrote in post #12690915 (external link)
Would opening the RAW file in another program show the pure RAW file, in other words, I think there are some things that DPP "understands" and applies (like Style, WB, Shapening setting, etc.) that other programs would not automatically apply.

changes made to a CR2 in DPP are only visible in DPP: If you open the CR2 in LR, it will open with the LR defaults.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 01, 2011 20:00 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #9

Is there a way to "read out" the adjustments or are they stored in the meta data or somewhere? Or do you have to open the tool pallet and manually record all the slider settings in DPP?

Guess the same question would apply to Lightroom settings for an image, too. And way to easily read them, get a list or is that looking at each slider, too?

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 01, 2011 20:08 |  #10

LR settings can be stored in an .xmp file. Which you can open in a text editor. For DPP, I think you'ld need to use a notebook (the old fashioned, ink-on-paper kind)

But that would be pretty meaningless, because the programs use different sliders, with different effect. Simply put: They are different ;)

Sometimes extremely so: http://www.getcolorman​aged.com …t/problems/rawc​onverters/ (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 01, 2011 20:14 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #11

I guess what I was getting at for DPP, maybe they call it a recipe, if I find that I have made changes (adjustments) to an image, maybe some time ago, what is the best way to apply those same changes to a different image?

Is it really pen and paper for DPP?

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 01, 2011 20:27 |  #12

Roxie2401 wrote in post #12690998 (external link)
I guess what I was getting at for DPP, maybe they call it a recipe, if I find that I have made changes (adjustments) to an image, maybe some time ago, what is the best way to apply those same changes to a different image?

That's what it is, and yes you can save your Recipe's to a file. Right click on the image thumbnail after you have made your adjustments and Select, Save Recipe in file. Then select a directory/folder to save it to and rename it to whatever you want.
And then when you want to apply that recipe to another file just choose Read and Write Recipe from file on the images you want to apply it to..

Too bad we can't read them with a WP program.

Oh, And yep, that's really pen and paper, because you can't open the Recipe files into a word processor application to view them.

Tim Kerr

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,483 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 02, 2011 04:28 |  #13

Roxie2401 wrote in post #12690998 (external link)

There are two ways. Open the original image and select Edit>'Copy recipe to clipboard' or 'Save recipe to file'. Then open the newer images and do Edit>'Paste recipe to selected files' or 'Read and paste recipe from file'. The difference, of course, is that the data in the clipboard will last only until you do Copy again or until you close the computer and the .vrd file is permanent unless you delete it.

But the other program would apply its own different set of edits, because a "pure RAW file" is not an image file and in order for there to be something to display on screen a certain amount of processing (= editing) has to be done.

The difference you see between DPP and LR is not edited vs. "pure", but rather "from the beginning edited enough for a good looking jpg" vs. "edited minimally in order to leave more decisions up to the user".

Elie / אלי

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,483 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 02, 2011 05:02 |  #14

tkerr -

Too bad we can't read them with a WP program.

Oh, And yep, that's really pen and paper, because you can't open the Recipe files into a word processor application to view them.

We can, however, read the "recipe" written into the metadata as an addition to the Maker Notes when the editing is saved, by using ExifToolGUI. A partial view is below. And ExifTool will export metadata to a text file or even to an xmp file.

HOSTED PHOTO

Elie / אלי

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 02, 2011 06:56 as a reply to  @ tzalman's post |  #15

Elie,

I made changes to an image (raw) saved the recipe and then applied that to another raw image - converted and saved that one.

When I look in ExifToolGUI I see the jpg and another file with the same name.vrd.

But when I click on the jpg or the raw that I applied the recipe, I don't see any vrd data in the Maker notes. Is there an option to turn on or did I not do the process correctly?

Should the recipe (vrd data) be shown on the saved raw or the saved jpg? I would hope to see it on the raw that it was applied to.

Update - I can see the Canon VRD if I open "All" but not "Maker Notes" in ExifToolGUI. Is there an option to show it in "Maker Notes?" Maybe this change in a different version - I'm using 4.13, which I think is the latest.

Also, I notice that ExifToolGUI allows viewing of the "XMP" file, which I'm guessing would be good for viewing the Lightroom adjustments, too, depending on which program was used to adjust the image?

sponsored links

4,067 views & 0 likes for this thread
DPP Thumbnail Icons
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.