Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 02 Jul 2011 (Saturday) 18:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I would really like some input and suggestions on these shots. feel free to edit

SaxonIV
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 02, 2011 18:25 |  #1

Like I said I'm at a loss for what to do to these. They look fine to me but I would like some input, I've been staring at the screen way to long.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

feel free to use discretion when advising me, but please give me some input!

sponsored links
OneEyedJack
608 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 02, 2011 18:36 |  #2

#1: The hand on the train looks completely posed.
#2: Again the hand looks completely posed, and you cut her off at the wrist. Try to crop between joints, not at them.
#3: Would have been a great shot if you didnt cut off her elbow.
#4: Is she a photographer? Thats the only way that having her hold a camera would make sense. If she isnt a photographer, then having her hold a camera just for the sake of holding a camera doesnt work.
#5: Best of the set by far. I have nothing but nice things to say about this one.

flickr (external link)

SaxonIV
THREAD ­ STARTER
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 02, 2011 18:39 |  #3

^haha curse your input. Not really, It's just that everything you said, I pretty much have been killing myself over after taking the shots. Not much I can do about those things really. Number 4 was actually just for fun, I like cameras lol. I shouldn't have cut off her elbow though. Again I think that I just need to frame much looser as I seem to be always cutting off something.

markspan6243
82 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 02, 2011 19:26 |  #4

i dont like where her hand is on the first two

Canon 60D|18-135mm 3.6-5.6|50mm 1.8|70-300mm 4-5.6

jimlp
567 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2004

Jul 02, 2011 21:01 as a reply to  @ markspan6243's post |  #5

They all look on the cool side on my monitor, that may be what you were going for though.

Canon 1DsMk2, 1DsMark lll, Canon 5Ds, 24-70 f4.0L, Canon 35mm f2.0
Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS vlll, Sigma 85mm f1.4

SaxonIV
THREAD ­ STARTER
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 02, 2011 22:21 |  #6

jimlp wrote in post #12695418 (external link)
They all look on the cool side on my monitor, that may be what you were going for though.

Yep they are all pretty cool. Wanted to get away from that really yellow fake tan redish look. I had a few printed and the monitor and the proofs matched pretty good.

bfung
411 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 02, 2011 22:50 |  #7

Liking number 1, but like OneEyedJack pointed out, the hand position just looks awkward in most of the poses, gotta figure how a better hand position

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/billyfung/ (external link)

SaxonIV
THREAD ­ STARTER
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 02, 2011 23:37 |  #8

How do you guys like the processing? I was looking for input on that as well, as it's the easiest to correct in post.

OneEyedJack
608 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 02, 2011 23:47 |  #9

As for the processing...I think just barely toning down the blues in 1/2 would make it much more pleasing. As it is now my eye kinda wonders to the blue because its so vibrant (almost clipped). It works for the rest of them because there isnt a tonnnn of blue.

flickr (external link)

JTX
Goldmember
1,777 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 03, 2011 00:36 |  #10

I think you did very well on all of them. I have no complaints.

http://gallerytx.com (external link)
5DMK3 & 7DMK2 - 10-22, 50mm-1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 100-400mmL, 70-200 F/2.8L IS II / 270EX, 580EXII  :p
Celestron Ultima 11 Schmidt-Cassegrain

sebr
Goldmember
4,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 03, 2011 04:00 |  #11

I like them in general. The hand in #1 and #2 looks a bit unnaturally posed and #2 and #3 are a bit too tight in my opinion. I like the background in #4 and #5 and the model is also very pretty :)

Sebastien
5D mkIII ; 17-40L ; 24-105L ; 70-200L II ; 70-300L ; 35L ; Σ85/1.4 ; 135L ; 100macro ; Kenko 1.4x ; 2x mkIII ; 580EXII
M5 ; M1 ; 11-22 ; 18-150 ; 22/2.0 ; EF adapter; Manfrotto LED
Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 03, 2011 09:41 |  #12

All in all nice shots, I wont touch on the posing issues as it has been said. My biggest issue and it is just a pet peeve of mine especially in a series of shots like these is the inconsistency in the skin tones. If each image was just a single stand alone it would not be as much of an issue but in series the skin tone goes from warm to blue to magenta. Just my 2 cents but in a series with similar toning/processing treatment I would like to see more consistency in the skin tone.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

Chelsey ­ Somohano
317 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 03, 2011 09:43 |  #13

A little too much blacks and/or vingetting in the 2nd and 3rd shots.

50D | 35L | 24-70L | 50 1.8 |
"Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer - It makes you a camera owner."

SaxonIV
THREAD ­ STARTER
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 03, 2011 10:16 |  #14

Damian75 wrote in post #12697262 (external link)
All in all nice shots, I wont touch on the posing issues as it has been said. My biggest issue and it is just a pet peeve of mine especially in a series of shots like these is the inconsistency in the skin tones. If each image was just a single stand alone it would not be as much of an issue but in series the skin tone goes from warm to blue to magenta. Just my 2 cents but in a series with similar toning/processing treatment I would like to see more consistency in the skin tone.

You're absolutely right. That too is one of the things that keeps me up at night. I'm relatively new at portrait photography, and it's really something I'm working really hard at. Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have any suggestions on how to be more consistent with color? I'm shooting RAW and editing in Aperture.

OneEyedJack
608 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 03, 2011 16:11 |  #15

shooting with a white balance card will fix a lot of hassle.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,701 views & 0 likes for this thread
I would really like some input and suggestions on these shots. feel free to edit
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.