Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Jul 2011 (Sunday) 22:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

why upgrade to a 7D

evnhvn
253 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 04, 2011 00:18 |  #16

Another good walk away reminder is that your T2i has a better LCD than the 7D :)

T2i | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Σ 30mm f/1.4 | Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 VC | YN-468 Speedlite

sponsored links
Vikroda
68 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 04, 2011 00:39 |  #17

But the viewfinder image in the 7D is so much bigger than the T2i. I thought there was nothing wrong with the T2i viewfinder until I looked through the 7D. (Haven't looked at the 5Dii) Also the autofocus system is better. (I'm trying to justify to myself why I bought the 7D to replace my perfectly good T2i).

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 04, 2011 09:14 |  #18

ryko234 wrote in post #12700600 (external link)
well... maybe you should tell us what you "want" to shoot.

i shoot friends/family, and use it when i travel (so its a bit of everything, but not enough to buy into specialized purpose lenses such as a UWA). no sports, no birds. my main reason for wanting to upgrade is just to have a more solid body to use.

Vikroda wrote in post #12700757 (external link)
(I'm trying to justify to myself why I bought the 7D to replace my perfectly good T2i).

lol. why DID you? what was your reasoning?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 04, 2011 09:23 as a reply to  @ ekinnyc's post |  #19

You are definitely in the "want" category. ;) I have a 7D and it's a good camera but for what you shoot you really don't "need" one. I shoot a lot of sports so I could somewhat justify my purchase, even though there was an element of "want" in there. You won't really be gaining much with what you shoot so either save up for that 70-200 or keep it in the bank.

I won't try to talk you out of the 70-200 f/2.8IS II because you don't yet have anything with that reach, and it is one amazing lens. I made the mistake of trying one out at a Canon Days event at my local camera store and that was it, I was sold.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 04, 2011 09:29 |  #20

i think im fairly convinced not to get the 70-200 at this point, i just wouldnt use that range enough to justify owning it and carrying the weight around. my 24-105 gives me plenty of reach (albeit at the cost of speed)

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 04, 2011 09:32 |  #21

ekinnyc wrote in post #12702013 (external link)
i think im fairly convinced not to get the 70-200 at this point, i just wouldnt use that range enough to justify owning it and carrying the weight around. my 24-105 gives me plenty of reach (albeit at the cost of speed)

That's definitely a good thing for your bank account then! No reason to drop $2400 on a lens you don't need. I have the 24-105 too and it's a great lens.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 04, 2011 09:37 |  #22

my bank account is never safe. if i dont go for the 7D, ill be ordering a grip for the t2i and perhaps switching from a tamron 17-50 non vc to a sigma 17-50 with OS.

better to get all the toys bought now before my grad school loans come due next year

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

Trique ­ Daddi
Goldmember
1,083 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 04, 2011 09:42 |  #23

One of the 70-200's would be a nice addition to your kit. The 70-200 2.8 non IS or the first IS edition.

I don't think you would be sorry.

Canon 7DMKII,7D 40D, 20D, CANON 100-400mm IS 4.5/5.6L, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, Kenko Extension Tubes, Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS, 580EX II Flash,Gittos MH 5580 monopod, Thinktank Airport Takeoff.

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 04, 2011 10:35 |  #24

If you can afford it get it

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,640 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 04, 2011 11:42 |  #25

Instead of playing the "no it's not", or "yes it is" like alot of others seem to do, I will list what the 7D will offer you:

- wireless flash control
- electronic leveling
- customizeable buttons
- better ergos (dial/wheel, joystick, MFn button, etc)
- spot AF (has great uses)
- micro adjustment
- AF taken from the 1D series, sharing the same algorithms as the 1D4
- more AF points
- 100% viewfinder
- longer battery life, shares battery with 5D2 should you ever get that too
- newer improved color metering
- better weather sealing
- somewhat better build (but I am one that thinks there is little difference these days between any of the lines for how people baby their equipment)
- 8fps (again somewhat a marketing item for many, if you don't run a burst sequence)

Only you can determine if this is worth the upgrade.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 04, 2011 11:48 |  #26

ekinnyc wrote in post #12700380 (external link)
argh, i think i just have camera envy... not sure why

Happens to all of us! Be strong! :)

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Delija
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 04, 2011 12:04 as a reply to  @ ChuckingFluff's post |  #27

I don't see IS being a big necessity on a 17-50mm lens - yes, it might come in handy on occasion, but not that often. There's a tripod in the OP's gear list, so that's always going to be more effective than IS (or OS or VC)...there is also a flash.

Looking at the OP's "gear list" I'd definitely get another flash that can be used as a master to the 430 EX - Having two (or more) off camera flashes lets you get creative with lighting - having a new camera body is more like "upgrading" a computer that 's a few months old - especially in this case.

I went from a 40D to a 7D since I do shoot a lot of sports - I have "L' glass so I was set with lenses - the difference between 8fps and 6.5 was never much of a factor - It was all about the newer focusing system. But in real life terms, it's better, but not that important when you can anticipate what you are shooting - The 7D is a fine camera but the 40D was certainly a very good camera and required a lot less post processing since it had a less densely populated sensor (10MP vs. 18) -

I will never use the video, so that was never an issue to me at all..... I'm sorry I sold the 40D and will get another one as a back up since it's much better for my needs than the 5Dc I have - despite the fact that I do a good deal of portrait work. But since my style is to use very long lenses and reflectors outdoors whenever possible, the 5D doesn't give me any real advantage over the crop sensor body when shooting that way.

But when I shoot indoors I can't imagine not having multiple flash units - (and even using 3 or 4 Speedlites I use reflectors too more times than not)... I now have the "flash commander" with the 7D, but for the 5d and the 40d, I had a lot of success using a 25' off camera E-TTL cord from fellow POTN member "FlashZebra" -

With just a 430 ex, (even if you could control it with a 7d)...I think that is very limiting if you want to be creative at all with lighting - and IMHO, nothing is more important than the proper use of light.

But get what makes you happy - in most cases that's what people do - it takes a long time to come to terms with the reality that there is equipment (like a flash) that just isn't as "sexy" as a new camera body or a new lens but will do more for your growth as a photographer - learning to use a $4 piece of white foam core board to fill shadows in the sun can do more for your skills than a $6000 lens -

"Gear lust" is one thing, and we all understand it and experience it - learning to use the "tools of the trade" doesn't give the rush of opening a box with a brand new piece of expensive equipment....it just does so much more to improve skills.

Of course it's obvious that for a lot of people, photography is not about creating great images - it's all about some unobtainable quest for perfect "IQ" - It's as if quality images have no meaning, just image quality.

Choose wisely - buy what you need rather than what you want - When your camera body limits your creativity, then think about "upgrading" - in the mean time, think about what you might need to expand on what you CAN do.

The foam core board does so many things for me - and costs next to nothing - I use them as outdoor reflectors - I use them to shade the sun from my lenses when the hood isn't enough at certain times of the morning and late afternoon when I am forced to shoot almost into the sun. I use them as backdrops for product photography or as light boxes by taping them together. I can hold one behind me indoors and aim my flash backwards if I can't use the ceiling or walls to bounce flash (maybe because of color or mirrors or windows) - Amazing how versatile a piece of board can be - I even cut them up and use a Sharpie so I can use them as slates. (if you don't know what a "slate" is used for, then that's a good clue there' much to learn before needing to buy new equipment).

I could go on, but I really hope I made my point.

Peace,
D.

Wow, what a nice picture! You must have a really great camera!

Osa713
Goldmember
1,461 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 04, 2011 12:55 |  #28

Sounds like gear lust to me. I have the T2i and i considered the 7D. But i dont need it. So i turned my focus on becoming a better photographer. The 7D isnt going to turn you into Ansel Adams overnight. :-)

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

sponsored links

2,157 views & 0 likes for this thread
why upgrade to a 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.