Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Jul 2011 (Sunday) 19:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sto Fen Omnibounce alternative with less diffusion?

CxThree
713 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 10, 2011 19:07 |  #1

Hi,

I am looking for a alternative to the omnibounce. I want the same design, just a lighter materlal thats less translucent so it diffuses less.

Also, I know there are plenty of alternatives in other forms. I have several. Just looking for this specific item for some examples in a class I teach. The omnibounce is a bit too thick/white for my taste.

Anyone know of a clone that's almost clear or clear?

Canon EOS 5D MKIII, 7D
Canon Lenses : 70-200 F2.8L II IS : 24-105 F4L IS : 16-35 F2.8L : 50mm F1.4 : 85mm F1.8 : 100mm F2.8 Macro : 10-22mm
4x 600EX-RT
Speedotron Black Line

sponsored links
KurtGoss
453 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 10, 2011 21:25 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

making my popcorn now... :)

Farley121
75 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 10, 2011 21:34 as a reply to  @ KurtGoss's post |  #3

Alright, I had a really snarky answer all typed out but I figured I would revise. Due to the overwhelming distaste for Stofen and Fong do-dads, why would someone want to find various alternatives that do even less than the originals? Just sayin!

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,533 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 10, 2011 21:41 |  #4

KurtGoss wrote in post #12736487 (external link)
making my popcorn now... :)

Thanks for giving me a chuckle.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 10, 2011 21:44 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

drill some holes in it.

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

CxThree
THREAD ­ STARTER
713 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 10, 2011 22:12 |  #6

Farley121 wrote in post #12736536 (external link)
Alright, I had a really snarky answer all typed out but I figured I would revise. Due to the overwhelming distaste for Stofen and Fong do-dads, why would someone want to find various alternatives that do even less than the originals? Just sayin!

I know people are very opinionated about the various flash diffusers. I'm not looking to debate or defend them. I just know lots of knockoffs are out there and have heard many are made of a much less cloudy material. Just looking for one of them for a few tests to compile some shots for examples for a class.

If you want to make yet another thread debating flash diffusers, move along and do so. I'm not looking for any of that. If you have not bought a knockoff stofen and therefore have no answer to the original question, thanks for taking time to read the question.

Canon EOS 5D MKIII, 7D
Canon Lenses : 70-200 F2.8L II IS : 24-105 F4L IS : 16-35 F2.8L : 50mm F1.4 : 85mm F1.8 : 100mm F2.8 Macro : 10-22mm
4x 600EX-RT
Speedotron Black Line

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,533 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 10, 2011 22:36 |  #7

Yeah it is kind of tough heading in with this question. Due to the distaste with these types of modifiers it is going to be difficult to find references to ones that diffuse less. Omni which is probably has the most common name is usually the first one tried by most people. Once a user decides they do not like it's performance and/or gets feedback on it they don't often look for similar alternatives.

This is probably why this thread got a rocky start.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Farley121
75 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 10, 2011 23:04 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #8

OK, I will be less snarky and more helpfull this time.

1. No I have never seen/heard/tried one.
2. There is no need to start another stofen debate thread, a million already exist on this forum, and they all start like this one.
3. I guess what I was originally alluding to in a rather unhelpful way is this, a very large percentage of forum users find the stofen gives no diffusion what so ever. So my point was (and I am trying to be honest and helpful), if the original does diddly, what are you actually going to be able to show your class in comparison by using something with "less diffusion"?

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 10, 2011 23:13 |  #9

Farley121 wrote in post #12736939 (external link)
OK, I will be less snarky and more helpfull this time.

1. No I have never seen/heard/tried one.
2. There is no need to start another stofen debate thread, a million already exist on this forum, and they all start like this one.
3. I guess what I was originally alluding to in a rather unhelpful way is this, a very large percentage of forum users find the stofen gives no diffusion what so ever. So my point was (and I am trying to be honest and helpful), if the original does diddly, what are you actually going to be able to show your class in comparison by using something with "less diffusion"?

yeah it seems like the first post here is a trick question. It does not diffuse at all.

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

CxThree
THREAD ­ STARTER
713 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 10, 2011 23:29 |  #10

Good questions. I am showing the "bare bulb" effect of "caps" like this one. IE spreading light around the room, etc. They will see other modifiers too. IE The rogue system, some lumiquest stuff, and even up to a qbox 24 and apollo 28. While showing this, I wanted to show them how much light can be eaten up by the stofen and thought the comparison of a clear or near clear model would be an interesting look. I had someone mention the difference in a cloudy gary fong lightsphere and a clear one. I think the difference would be similar to the stofen and a clear or near clear knockoff. However, I want to try it out first and I don't want to buy any Fong stuff. :) The stofen knockoff is way cheaper and will be good anough for my tests.

Canon EOS 5D MKIII, 7D
4x 600EX-RT
Speedotron Black Line

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 10, 2011 23:32 |  #11

CxThree wrote in post #12737020 (external link)
Good questions. I am showing the "bare bulb" effect of "caps" like this one. IE spreading light around the room, etc. They will see other modifiers too. IE The rogue system, some lumiquest stuff, and even up to a qbox 24 and apollo 28. While showing this, I wanted to show them how much light can be eaten up by the stofen and thought the comparison of a clear or near clear model would be an interesting look. I had someone mention the difference in a cloudy gary fong lightsphere and a clear one. I think the difference would be similar to the stofen and a clear or near clear knockoff. However, I want to try it out first and I don't want to buy any Fong stuff. :) The stofen knockoff is way cheaper and will be good anough for my tests.

http://www.diyphotogra​phy.net …o/blz/soft-flash-diffuser (external link)

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,603 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 11, 2011 00:52 |  #12

Here is a demonstration of light being eaten up by a Stoffen. In this case, we are using flash fill to reduce shadow intensity of shadows left by the sun. On the left, no flash. In the center, flash fired with only the inherent flash lens (clear), at the right a diffusive surface which is no larger than the flash lens (a Stoffen-like surface)

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/NoDiffWithDiffarr.jpg

Notice that with a diffusive surface the shadow intensity is NOT reduced by the same degree as the native clear flash lens! Notice also that where a shadow is created by the flash (visible immediately adjacent and just to the left of the fruit picker, at red arrow), the diffusive surface has little to no effect on the quality of the shadow penumbra (edge) --which is affected only by light source SIZE, which is no different because the diffusive surface is no larger than the native flash lens itself.

Now we have the Stoffen-sized diffusive surface vs. a 5"x7" size softbox over the flash head.
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/StoffensizeWescott.jpg

Notice the shadow edge characteristic is softened with the larger surface area (35 sq.in.) on the right, versus the original 3 sq.in. of the small diffusive surface.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

CxThree
THREAD ­ STARTER
713 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 11, 2011 08:42 |  #13

Thank you. That's a very good example.

Canon EOS 5D MKIII, 7D
4x 600EX-RT
Speedotron Black Line

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 11, 2011 08:46 |  #14

I say this with all due respect, but I think maybe you shouldn't teach students to use this kind of stuff as it's just snake oil

If you want to spread light around the room, just bounce the flash. Unless you are using a Fisheye lens or something it's not necessary to get a bare bulb effect. I'm fine even using a 14mm rectilinear lens on FF by just bouncing off the wall or ceiling behind me

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

CxThree
THREAD ­ STARTER
713 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 11, 2011 08:55 |  #15

Thanks. It's not really a "use this" type of class that I am working on. I am trying to show real world examples and replicate them with hands on shots in the class. I want them to see some of these devices that are out there, see what they do, and understand how light works with and without them. I bounce flash whenever the situation allows it. It's my preferred way of shooting.

Canon EOS 5D MKIII, 7D
4x 600EX-RT
Speedotron Black Line

sponsored links

2,603 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sto Fen Omnibounce alternative with less diffusion?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.