Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Jul 2011 (Monday) 04:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Women's Camera Bag - Epiphanie Bags?

restinginlove
76 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 06, 2014 15:23 |  #226

This is an old thread, but I'm in the market for a purse-like camera bag that will double as a carry-on and will also be comfortable to walk around with for a long time. I'm going on a road trip and cruise early this summer and my last travel bag was just for body + one lens and I'd throw that into a purse or backpack or something. I want to take two or three lenses with me this time so that isn't going to fly. And if it's going to be a carry-on for flights, ideally I'd like it to fit my 14" ultrabook too.
I've narrowed it down to:
http://www.jototes.com​/products/georgia-nautical (external link)
http://www.jototes.com …missy/products/​missy-mint (external link)
http://www.epiphanieba​gs.com/Grey_Austin_p/a​ust002gryb.htm (external link)

The epiphanie brooklyn backpack would probably be perfect but I want to pay ~$150 tops and that's out of my price range. Jo tote's georgia is great except there's no laptop compartment, I can probably squeeze my laptop into missy except mint is kind of a fad color and it may be dated in a couple years (if it isn't already?), and austin fits the laptop requirement but may not be totally passable as a purse when out and about in town. I'm avoiding black because I'm not sure if it'd be best in the summer (it would probably get hot?) and I wear light brown and cognac shoes and all more often, though it probably woudn't really matter. There's a black version of the austin, too.

Anyone have experience with any of these bags? Or have used a cute camera bag on vacation that you'd recommend? Thanks!

flickr (external link)
Feedback

sponsored links
restinginlove
76 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 06, 2014 16:45 |  #227

Found one more contender, and this may be a winner!
http://www.silhouetteb​ags.com …lhouette-camera-bag-brown (external link)
It's big, cute, could pass as a purse (vs messenger bag), could probably fit a laptop, and would work for summer and winter (Georgia nautical looks like a summer bag to me).

flickr (external link)
Feedback

kathfern
THREAD ­ STARTER
541 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 07, 2014 02:06 |  #228

Oh I like the look of the Austin!

Kathy - 5D III : 60D : 24 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 24-105L : 100 2.8 USM Macro : 40 2.8 : 430EXii
Web (external link)

Facebook (external link)

restinginlove
76 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 07, 2014 11:53 |  #229

kathfern wrote in post #16815250 (external link)
Oh I like the look of the Austin!

Me too! I just don't know how versatile it'd be. I've never had a gray bag. And downside of a long strap only too is that in tiny, crowded shops, it bangs against stuff and just makes it harder to maneuver around. I like the handbag style bags for being able to go under my arm. I guess I could lengthen the strap put the messenger bag behind me though.
I'm probably overthinking this. If I'm going to shell out the dough, though, I want it to last a long, long time and work for pretty much every situation I'd use it for.

flickr (external link)
Feedback

sweetpea44
294 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 07, 2014 12:00 |  #230

I have a Jo Tote (Betsy) and two Epiphanies (Belle and London). Of the two companies, I prefer the Epiphanie in make. The London is HUGE .... probably too big. I love the Belle and it looks just like a cute purse .... but there's no room for a laptop if that's what you're looking for. Check out the used market too .... I got the Jo Tote as a gift, but I got the two Epiphanies on eBay. :-)

My Blog (external link) My Flickr (external link)
T3i // Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM // Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non VC // Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS // Canon 50mm f/1.8 II // Canon 40mm f2.8 STM // 430ex :cool:

restinginlove
76 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 07, 2014 14:34 |  #231

I've been scouting eBay. All I'm really seeing are a bunch of lolas though. I haven't checked Craigslist though, I should!

flickr (external link)
Feedback

restinginlove
76 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 08, 2014 06:25 |  #232

Just snagged a used epiphanie lyric in slate for about $109. Most expensive purse I've ever bought!! It won't hold a laptop but it may hold my nexus 7. Or I could fold it into a bigger carry-on item and use a backpack, with a laptop sleeve in there, as my personal item. I'm still eyeing that silohotutte, I'm just now sure if a super huge and wide bag on a 5'2 girl is the best idea for walking around! Plus reviews in this thread of the lyric sold me :) thanks for posting them!

flickr (external link)
Feedback

dansmail26
387 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 25, 2014 20:56 |  #233

I have read so much about people loving the Lola but others saying it's too hard to get things in and out of. Well, what is it? My wife would be using it with her 60d with an 15-85 attached and carrying her 70-200 f4. Would the Lola work well for her?
I just bought her a Crumpler 8 million which she immediately didn't like, it was way too big. Sold it so now have to find something else.

7D mark ii, Canon 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 f/4L non-is, Canon 10-18 efs, Canon 1.4x, Yongnuo 468 II, Tamron 100-400

PicBug
644 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 25, 2014 22:26 |  #234

Here's an often neglected option. Purchase or make or have made an padded insert and purchase your bag separately! I made a wonderful insert that pops into my Jessica Simpson tote and I'm good to go. And if I change my mind to that colorful Ikkas tote I can do that too. This gives you so many more economical and customize able options!!

my little gallery (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)
Diamond Willow Photography Website (external link)
Canon 6D,Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 DiVC, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 135L, Sigma 85 1.4 EX DG HSM, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM, 430EX II, Sigma 24-70 2.8, LR5 Editing

restinginlove
76 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 26, 2014 21:15 |  #235

PicBug wrote in post #16861876 (external link)
Here's an often neglected option. Purchase or make or have made an padded insert and purchase your bag separately! I made a wonderful insert that pops into my Jessica Simpson tote and I'm good to go. And if I change my mind to that colorful Ikkas tote I can do that too. This gives you so many more economical and customize able options!!

So long as there is padding on the sides, this works. I like camera bags because they often have the padding built into the lining so it doesn't feel like I'm removing an inch of space around the sides of my bag to protect the camera. I got an insert (off amazon) and a cheap slouchy canvas messenger bag first to see if I'd like the look and with the insert it looked really boxy and bleh. DIY route is better with purses, by far, and there's some great tutorials on pinterest for making lining that will fit inside perfectly and be flexible and cuter than the premade stuff out there.

And re the earlier question about the lola: I picked up one used off ebay as well but judging by the wear on the fake leather and the differences in inside labeling from my EUC lyric and it, it's one of the older ones and they've changed the fake leather since. No idea if the template of the bag itself would be changed at all but with the one I have, between the height (you have to take it off your arm to reach in vs the bags with longer straps that sit more at your waist - though she could use a longer strap with it but it sticks out so wide, it's kinda cumbersome that way) and the tighter zipper (wider = harder to zip up when stuffed!), I think the lyric is easier to use. But YMMV. I do use it as a normal purse pretty often, anyway.

flickr (external link)
Feedback

sponsored links

76,304 views & 0 likes for this thread
Women's Camera Bag - Epiphanie Bags?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.