Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Jul 2011 (Thursday) 16:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrading Input

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 15, 2011 01:01 |  #16

germ79 wrote in post #12761144 (external link)
Bone,

Thanks for that very informative post. I agree that the the 7D through CLP would be quite the deal. I used a 7D a couple weeks ago and was very impressed. I'm sure it would keep me happy for a long time to come.

Though the CLP, the 7D is ~$450 more than the 50D kit with the 28-135. The downside with going the 7D route is that I'll need to buy a lens right away too. So, we're talking $450 plus the cost of a good everyday lens. Is the jump from 50D to 7D worth that much?

I would personally say the jump is far worth the price difference. ISO performance alone will amaze you and the other vast features will be extremely drastic as well and icing on the cake. 50d is a great camera, don't get me wrong, but the 7d is just a massive leap forward IMO. Hence the big price difference. Seeing as you shoot a lot of family stuff I'm certain you will want the improved ISO response that will get you such cleaner images. Is it maybe a bit much..... possibly ....... but for me, I'm a little ocd so the features of the 7d are that important to me.

If you can get a hold of the 7d again. Run it through some paces, different types of light and so on and just leave ISO on auto and go to manual for shutter and f/. You see the ISO performance easily that way. Then just mess around with it a little more.... since I've had the chance to use it I just can't see myself with a different body. I'd love to have a 1d iv but yeah.... that's going to be a long way down the road.... lmao.

I also do a lot of portrait and other various shoots so this is also a business tool for me but I've also used a T2i for this business aspect for some time now... So it's not the body that I'm after just because of business, I also want it for my personally family photos as well... It just works. I have a very large and extended family and they like to perform for me.... and I eat it up!!!! I enjoy photography that much and the 7D will just allow me to enjoy it all the more.

Once I'm done recovering from my surgery in a couple months I will have a 7d on its way to me for myself. I just had major surgery on my left ankle and foot to repair damage from when I was active duty Navy. So I'm laid up like a mofo right now.... going a bit insane with being laid up too... Instead of ordering the camera now, seeing as I can't use it all that much until I can walk on both legs... I ordered myself a new 51" plasma 3Dtv and xbox 360, seeing as my 360 got fried the other day, it had a nice long run though, had it since launch of the 360...

oh, i'm getting side tracked again... my bad.

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

sponsored links
kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 15, 2011 05:08 |  #17

If you're going for a long-term purchase (i.e., one that you don't expect to be upgrading in a long time), then go with the 7D.

Here's why: it is quite good at everything. If you need to shoot sports, it will do so with impressive competence. If you need to shoot birds, it will do so quite well. If you need to shoot portraits, it will do so very nicely. If you need to shoot landscapes, it has the resolution to do so very well indeed (you just need a lens that's up to the task). If you need to shoot in low light, it will do an excellent job of it.

It's not the best camera in any given category. The 1Dmk4 is better at sports and possibly birding. The 5Dmk2 is better at portraits, landscapes, and low light (when you can get it to focus). But the 7D is very much the best all-rounder that Canon offers short of the 1Dmk4. There is nothing I can think of that the 7D can't handle well.

All of which is to say: if you get a 7D, you'll be getting a camera that has real staying power. And that's exactly what you're looking for if you're looking to keep the camera for a long time.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

ikolpdog
153 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 15, 2011 17:37 |  #18

germ79 wrote in post #12758982 (external link)
The fact of the matter is that anything is going to be an upgrade from my 30D. ~ I would like to get a great camera and start building a good collection of lenses, but am a little nervous to do so with a crop camera (using EFS lenses) should I ever decide to make the jump to FF down the road. ~ I do realize I can get EF lenses for a crop and use those, but the length just doesn't always seem as usable that way.

So, what would you do? Any words of wisdom from you veteran photogs/great decision makers? :)

The key question has to be "What is your 30D failing to deliver?" Unless you are upgrading for the sake of upgrading.

Your description of what you shoot is well within the capability of a 30D. If you want to improve your picture quality/sharpness/colo​ur then spend your money on some good glass and work on your technique.

The EFS 10-22 will solve all your wide angle worries and when your kids get on that sports field you will be glad you still have a crop camera as long lenses are never long enough or cheap enough. If you go full frame the 10-22 will return most of the original purchase price if you look after it.

A camera body will not fulfil your photographic aspirations but the right lenses might go some way towards it. Personally I would keep the 30D for now, get the 10-22 EFS for Landscape and "creative", and the 100 f2.8 L IS Macro for the flowers, portrait and candid. That way you can be shooting the photos you want now instead of more of the same with a different body dreaming about the future. Unless of course you can afford to do the lot in one go ;).

7D, EOS 33, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L, 24-70 f2.8 L, 180 Macro f3.5 L, EF 28 f1.8, EFS 10-22, 1.4x II Extender and 580EXII.

germ79
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 20, 2011 23:49 |  #19

Just an update to all of this:

After all my research and your wonderful advice I was attempting, at first, to get a refurb 50D kit. After a few days I realized it's going to be hard to find one in stock.

So, I went ahead and ordered the 7D refurb. I'm VERY excited (it comes tomorrow) about the unbelievable feature list it has and I've been watching some tutorials so I can be somewhat familiar with it when it arrives.

After much agony I also decided to buy the 17-55 2.8. It also comes tomorrow!

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to offer your advice!

<><

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 21, 2011 09:37 |  #20

wow, you are going to be one happy dude when you get that camera.... and excellent choice for a lens to go with it.

I can't wait to get mine. One my doc gives me a final as to when I can put weight on my foot again I will be ordering one.

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 21, 2011 15:07 |  #21

germ79 wrote in post #12796231 (external link)
Just an update to all of this:

After all my research and your wonderful advice I was attempting, at first, to get a refurb 50D kit. After a few days I realized it's going to be hard to find one in stock.

So, I went ahead and ordered the 7D refurb. I'm VERY excited (it comes tomorrow) about the unbelievable feature list it has and I've been watching some tutorials so I can be somewhat familiar with it when it arrives.

After much agony I also decided to buy the 17-55 2.8. It also comes tomorrow!

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to offer your advice!

Excellent choice.

Just remember that the 7D's autofocus is highly configurable, so it'll take some time and experience to really figure it out. You may wind up with a higher rate of out-of-focus shots than you might like until you figure out how to configure it for the circumstances.

The 7D is worlds apart from the xxD line in terms of autofocus. The basics are the same, but you should expect a learning curve.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

sponsored links

1,755 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrading Input
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.