Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Jul 2011 (Friday) 08:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How many stops should a shoot through umbrella use up?

Dustin ­ Mustangs
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 15, 2011 08:22 |  #1

I got an off camera flash setup finally and am a little disappointed with the flash power I am getting with a shoot through umbrella. I was taking some test shots of some camera gear on a dark wood table and I couldn't get a proper exposure. I was using a 430 exii with a shoot through about 3 feet from the subject. Even with the flash on full power and settings of 1/40, f4.5, and iso 800 they were still coming out under exposed. I finally bounced it unmodified off a standard height ceiling and got a proper exposure at 1/125, f8, iso 200 at iirc 1/2 power.

Does a shoot through umbrella really rob me of that much power? I am wondering if I was using it wrong or got the wrong one?? It isn't a dedicated shoot through, it is one of those removable cover ones (43" westcott). Does that make a difference? What zoom setting should I use and how far up the shaft should it be mounted?

Thanks for any help with this...

:confused:

60D | 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS | 70-200 4L | 50 1.8 | 100 2.8 macro | 1.4x II | 580EX | 430EX II

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,605 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 15, 2011 08:27 |  #2

ISO800 at full power and 3 feet, sure your flash is ON?

And pictures always help a lot more than describing the problem. Take a shot of the setup and the subject and post it if possible. The umbrella shouldn't eat more than 1 to 1&1/2 stops I am just guessing.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Jonathan12uiz
53 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 15, 2011 08:28 |  #3

did you try using a light meter to see what settings the meter recommends for the setup you have?

-MasterChief-
- B E L I E V E -
3,188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 15, 2011 08:29 |  #4

how are you triggering the flash?

CiM_Photography
Goldmember
1,813 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 15, 2011 08:30 |  #5

I've got to ask some basic questions, since the problem here is clearly an easy fix.
1: How are you triggering the flash?
2: Did you remove the cover on the shoot-through?
3: Are you shooting M, Av or Tv?

Let us know.

Just call me Jeremy. <Massachusetts Wedding & Portrait Photographer (external link) | Gear List>

Dustin ­ Mustangs
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 15, 2011 08:36 |  #6

My new 60d has built in wireless and the flash was firing, external only, black cover was removed. Manual mode for exposure, ettl for flash. Ettl was maybe my mistake but I am pretty sure the flash was maxed out because increasing the flash exposure compensation had no effect.

I don't have a light meter to use and can't upload sample photos at this time...

60D | 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS | 70-200 4L | 50 1.8 | 100 2.8 macro | 1.4x II | 580EX | 430EX II

CiM_Photography
Goldmember
1,813 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 15, 2011 08:45 |  #7

If you didn't have line-of-site between your 60D and your 430exII, it's possible that the e-ttl wasn't fuctioning fully/at all?

A 1/40th exposure time with an iso of 800 might have actually been enough to expose for ambient... so it's possible your flash wasn't firing at all. Remove the umbrella and all of a sudden it's functioning... that points to line of site issues.

Just call me Jeremy. <Massachusetts Wedding & Portrait Photographer (external link) | Gear List>

KaBlookie
326 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 15, 2011 08:52 |  #8

Yeah, I'd verify it's actually firing, then put the flash in manual mode and at 1/1 power, just so you're 100% sure it's actually firing at full power.

7D - XTi - Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 - Canon 50mm f/1.8II - SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L - Lensbaby 2.0 - Canon 430EX-II - CBS flash trigger

Dustin ­ Mustangs
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 15, 2011 08:59 |  #9

It was deff firing, it was right next to my head and I could see the flash out of the corner of my eye. I will reproduce the shoot using manual flash control to see if I get the same results. Thanks for the quick replies on this, it is comforting to know the umbrella isn't responsible for this as I first had thought.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 15, 2011 08:59 |  #10

Put flash on manual, if a 430 will permit that, and put a white paper towel on the table.
Make an exposure at 1/2 power on the flash at ISO400 F8 if the blinkies do not show on the camera LCD indicating clipping on the white towel increase exposure by upping ISO to 800 if the blinkies show up decrease exposure by 1/3 stop by closing lens down. If blinkies are gone that is your optimum exposure.

Remember that the TTL meter reading in the camera is trying to make the table medium gray. i.e. over exposed. could be as much as 3 or more stops.

Its likely the reason it seemed to work with bounce off ceiling is because the ceiling reflected in the table helping to make it reach mid gray for the TTL metering.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 15, 2011 11:18 |  #11

I'm also using a 60D and 430EXII.

In a situation where I have plenty of time to experiment and test, I turn off ETTL and just go for manual flash control. I haven't found ETTL to be particularly reliable when using any modifiers. It works pretty well when I have just the bare Speedlite with no modifiers.

I like being able to assign flash ETTL compensation to the rear button, though. To change manual flash power you have to dig down into the menu each time... just a few extra button clicks, but still a bit of hassle.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

nes_matt
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 15, 2011 15:41 |  #12

sure the lens cap was off? BTW, lengthening exposure time with flash exposure won't really help your subject exposure. Unless you are trying to bring up the background ambient, keep that shorter IMO - like 1/200th - so you don't get motion blur.

the only reason a modifier would hose the e-ttl (other than maybe a stop of light or so) is that the communication flash from the camera is not getting to it. Are you sure that wasn't the flash you were seeing?

Canon 6D & Rebel T1i | Tokina 11-16 F2.8 | Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro | Nifty-Fifty |85mm f1.8 | Canon 24-105 F4 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Flickr photo stream (external link)
Portfolio (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,328 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 15, 2011 15:44 |  #13

You may be seeing the preflash, and not the flash itself.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 15, 2011 15:44 |  #14

I'd bet it was a flash metering issue with ETTL if you are positive the flash is firing. Set the flash to 1/1 manual power and that should tell you.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 15, 2011 16:09 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #15

As an aside, what did you have the zoom set to. Doing some experiments pointing my camera toward my Westcott 1 stop shoot through umbrella I found that it worked best with the speedlight at its wide end - 35mm IIR. Zooming the flash to its maximum produced a slightly hotter spot, but only a small part of the umbrella was lit. Now I always use manual zoom with an umbrella.

Oh and manual power too

Richard
Gear

sponsored links

2,875 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many stops should a shoot through umbrella use up?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.