Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Jul 2011 (Friday) 15:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how? what? why? when?

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 15, 2011 15:54 |  #1

ok, so i am completely and utterly lost when using flash. i have a 430EXII, i usually bounce it either straight up or at 45 degrees, always in E-TTL. beyond that, i am utterly clueless... i tried reading the manual, but that didnt help much.

i am not looking to set up a studio, and get into serious lighting with umbrellas, reflectors, etc. all i want to learn is how to use the flash properly (on- and off-camera). is there an online resource (other than strobist - that made my head hurt) that explains, clearly, to an idiot like me, how to use manual flash, to learn how to meter for flash, how to adjust power for exposure, etc...

thanks

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
ZXDrew
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 15, 2011 16:21 |  #2

Have you read the manual on how to work the flash, ie how to put it in manual mode, how to enable HSS, how to adjust the flash zoom. Also read about flash exposure compensation on your camera. Grab a white index card and a rubberband. Thats a super easy bounce flash card for the top of your flash. First at least learn how to turn on and off all the features so when someone gives you an idea they don't have to explain how to actually work your equipment.

PhotoWolfe.com (external link)
Facebook.com/PhotoWolfe (external link)
Gear / My flickr (external link)

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 15, 2011 16:23 |  #3

doesnt flash zoom read the lens zoom, from 24-105mm?

i know how to put it into manual, and enable HSS.... problem is, i have no idea what to do after, how to use it, when to use it, etc

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 15, 2011 16:49 |  #4

ekinnyc wrote in post #12764798 (external link)
doesnt flash zoom read the lens zoom, from 24-105mm?

It can, but you can override that.

ekinnyc wrote in post #12764798 (external link)
i know how to put it into manual, and enable HSS.... problem is, i have no idea what to do after, how to use it, when to use it, etc

Where to start...what are you trying to do with the flash?

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

ean36
625 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 15, 2011 16:53 |  #5

After you read this book
Speedliters-Handbook/Syl-Arena
you shouldn't have any questions.

be safe and well. George
7D, 5DIII, 5DII and too much to carry all at once

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 15, 2011 16:54 |  #6

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #12764900 (external link)
Where to start...what are you trying to do with the flash?

for now, just to learn how to use it, generally

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

inkista
660 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 15, 2011 17:05 as a reply to  @ ekinnyc's post |  #7

Try Neil van Niekerk's Tangents (external link). Or the book version (external link) of the Flash Photography Techniques (external link) bit.

You may also want to read EOS Flash Confusion (external link) to figure out why being in P mode with a flash is really different from being in Av mode with a flash. Learn to shoot in M. :)

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 15, 2011 17:33 |  #8

ekinnyc wrote in post #12764930 (external link)
for now, just to learn how to use it, generally

...right, but how? It's like asking "how do I take a picture," and wanting to know all of the techniques for every situation. There are thousands of possible answers and possible combinations.

What I mean is this: you said that for the time being you've just basically been putting it in ETTL and bouncing it. Why doesn't that work for you? Is there something wrong with the images? Are you not getting the results you want?

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,944 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 15, 2011 17:36 |  #9

Get the Dean Collins Videos.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

tommmy.star
294 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 15, 2011 17:55 |  #10

windpig wrote in post #12765107 (external link)
Get the Dean Collins Videos.

+1 actually +1000000000000000 best videos ever they might be slightly dated but gosh they will open your eyes and you'll start to understand not only lights but photography in general.Higly recommended.

Canon 5DIII |Canon 30mm f2 | Canon 85mm f1.2L |Canon 100mm f2.4L| Canon 70-200mm f2.8II L
London Wedding Photographer (external link)
My 500px.com (external link)

Purplecow
178 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 15, 2011 18:41 |  #11

Check out this site...
http://super.nova.org/​DPR/Canon/Links.html/ (external link)

The tutorial is for a 580ex but the principles can be applied to other flashes. The benefit to a 580ex is that it can be set up as a master or slave while the other canon flashes can only be set to slave.

With one flash, one of the best method is to bounce flash off of the ceiling. The surface that the light bounces off become the new light source. An alternative is to get an E-TTL cable (Canon OC-E3 or some other knock-off) to raise the flash higher than the lens axis. This will start casting shadows down to create a picture with more depth.

When I shoot flash, I shoot in M mode. I initially start with iso 100, f/5.6, and shutter speed at 1/125. If I want more of the background, I increase the iso, open up the aperture, and slow down the shutter speed to bring in more ambient light. You'll have to experiment to see what works best for your creative style.

When I used the flash for fill-light, I shoot in Av mode. I also decrease the flash power so that it doesn't overcome the ambient light.

I hope this info makes sense. If not, the website that I gave you will do a better job explaining.

Grab a white index card and a rubberband.

The 580ex has a built in white card. The purpose of the white card is to create sparkles in the subject's eyes. If you look in the 580ex manual, they call the card "catch-light card." The card doesn't soften the light or bounce much light. Combining bounce flash with a white card works well. The bounce light provides the soft light while the catchlight card creates sparkle in the eye. The card should be used when outdoors or if you don't have a wall to bounce the light off of. If there isn't a wall, most of the light will be lost going out towards space. The amount of bounce you get off of the card isn't significant enough to light up your subject to create a flattering image.

eduardofrances
679 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 15, 2011 18:49 |  #12

ekinnyc wrote in post #12764675 (external link)
ok, so i am completely and utterly lost when using flash. i have a 430EXII, i usually bounce it either straight up or at 45 degrees, always in E-TTL. beyond that, i am utterly clueless... i tried reading the manual, but that didnt help much.

i am not looking to set up a studio, and get into serious lighting with umbrellas, reflectors, etc. all i want to learn is how to use the flash properly (on- and off-camera). is there an online resource (other than strobist - that made my head hurt) that explains, clearly, to an idiot like me, how to use manual flash, to learn how to meter for flash, how to adjust power for exposure, etc...

thanks

Neil Van Niekerk books are a great resource for on and off camera flash (he has a book for each) :) http://www.amazon.com …thor=Neil%20van​%20Niekerk (external link)

http://flickr.com/phot​os/eduardofrances/ (external link) :D

thestone11
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 15, 2011 18:51 |  #13

Spend some money on a Gary Fong Lightsphere....I love using it outdoor as a fill light. Very soft lighting even aiming the flash head directly to the object. Bouncing off the ceiling works like a dream too~!

Canon 5D MK II | Fuji X100 | Canon T2i | Canon 100mm macro f/2.8 | Canon 135L f/2 | Canon 50mm f/1.2 L | 17-40mm f/4 L | 24-70mm f/2.8 L | 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM |Canon 430EX II Flash X2 | Pocketwizard TT5 & TT1

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 15, 2011 19:09 as a reply to  @ thestone11's post |  #14

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #12765095 (external link)
What I mean is this: you said that for the time being you've just basically been putting it in ETTL and bouncing it. Why doesn't that work for you? Is there something wrong with the images? Are you not getting the results you want?

i see what you are saying. on the occasion i need to use flash, bounce works (maybe i dont know any better). im one of those people that just needs to understand everything, or at least try to, i guess. even if i may not use it, id like to understand the idea behind using flash, so that i can round out my knowledge i guess.

Purplecow wrote in post #12765397 (external link)
Check out this site...
http://super.nova.org/​DPR/Canon/Links.html/ (external link)

The tutorial is for a 580ex but the principles can be applied to other flashes. The benefit to a 580ex is that it can be set up as a master or slave while the other canon flashes can only be set to slave.

With one flash, one of the best method is to bounce flash off of the ceiling. The surface that the light bounces off become the new light source. An alternative is to get an E-TTL cable (Canon OC-E3 or some other knock-off) to raise the flash higher than the lens axis. This will start casting shadows down to create a picture with more depth.

When I shoot flash, I shoot in M mode. I initially start with iso 100, f/5.6, and shutter speed at 1/125. If I want more of the background, I increase the iso, open up the aperture, and slow down the shutter speed to bring in more ambient light. You'll have to experiment to see what works best for your creative style.

When I used the flash for fill-light, I shoot in Av mode. I also decrease the flash power so that it doesn't overcome the ambient light.

I hope this info makes sense. If not, the website that I gave you will do a better job explaining.

The 580ex has a built in white card. The purpose of the white card is to create sparkles in the subject's eyes. If you look in the 580ex manual, they call the card "catch-light card." The card doesn't soften the light or bounce much light. Combining bounce flash with a white card works well. The bounce light provides the soft light while the catchlight card creates sparkle in the eye. The card should be used when outdoors or if you don't have a wall to bounce the light off of. If there isn't a wall, most of the light will be lost going out towards space. The amount of bounce you get off of the card isn't significant enough to light up your subject to create a flattering image.

thats...... pretty much greek to me.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

nes_matt
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 15, 2011 20:34 |  #15

never mind... just re-read the op's post.

Canon 6D & Rebel T1i | Tokina 11-16 F2.8 | Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro | Nifty-Fifty |85mm f1.8 | Canon 24-105 F4 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Flickr photo stream (external link)
Portfolio (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

sponsored links

4,036 views & 0 likes for this thread
how? what? why? when?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.